Karrimor Sabre 60-100 vs Norrona vs Bergans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
, Karrimor quality has gone down hill but the guys at PRI are serious about their product.

Hi Lurch can you confirm if PRI still manufacture in the UK? I ask as the NZ distributor of Karrimor and Karrimor SF was telling me they come out of the same factory in China...??? I've got one of the PRI/ Karrimor SF Drag Bags for my Rifle (not really bushcraft related) it's not as well made as I thought it would be...

Bushtucker man I can vouch for the Berghaus Munro it's as tough as old boots. But very short in the back so the waist strap is pretty much useless I cut it off on my Munro. The Sabre 45 is 'probably' a better load carrier as it's based on the old Karrimor Hot Earth / Alpinste sacks.. I always felt they weren't as tough as the Munro but it depends what you are using it for. For most 'bushcrafting' use It more than tough enough

RVOPS sell version of the Munro with Zips added so you can use PLCE side pouches on it.

http://www.rvops.co.uk/load-carrying-77/bergens-grips-5/berghaus-munro-35ltr-with-additional-zips-1606.html
No connection other than a satisfied customer etc etc...

PLCE side pouches will fit the Sabre 45 also as would the side pouches from a Berghaus Vulcan or you could buy the Karrimor versions. The PLCE medical side pouch also fits as does the Webtex version I suppose. Pouches from an older Berghaus Crusader will not fit as they use a different Zip.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

John

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
my sabre 80-130 bought not to long ago has a MADE IN CHINA label inside the pack, the main body of the pack is not to bad really in my point of view the things that let it down are, poor quality stitching,especially where the loops for the adjustable back system are stitched on, one row of stitching either side which is'nt very well done and is'nt really tight,
the quality of the webbing used to make the straps,feels flimsy and course,and compared to a old panther 65, loses hands down in quality, also my personnel opinion is its yoke and belt are to padded, i know this sounds daft but its hard to get a good fit because of this, lastly the belt,which slips through the padded hip section is half plastic sheeting,ive replaced this with a web roll pin belt(much better)

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
lastly the belt,which slips through the padded hip section is half plastic sheeting,ive replaced this with a web roll pin belt(much better)

Seriously? Ok now I am worried again.

Thanks John, yeah i had a look at the RVOPS version, and it would be that or nothing I think, as I really want to use my side pockets. I guess I just have to find out how well it fits a sleeping bag now.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
I'm told that the SF bags have been made in China since God was in short trousers.
Afraid I'm not familiar with the Berghaus stuff, I was going to sell them but the dealership application form was like War & Peace so I never got around to it!

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
As Sandbender said, I've used the Norrona Recon for a few long walks with weight:) First, bear in mind that for longish treks, I prefer external frame packs - legacy of doing expeditions in the 70s:) The Norrona is a bit heavy in itself, but it is very well built from good quality materials. The pack, I believe, was originally designed for Scandinavian military use (Ranger-type troops I gather, although I don't know if that is true:)
The harness is size - adjustable, and the straps and waistbelt do an excellent job of load bearing. Additionally, the waistbelt is on a sort of pivot, so that it moves with you as you walk/ski. The belt also has rings incorporated to attach a pulk (sled) for you to tow - a common feature of Scandinavian military packs. The lid is expandable, although I've never needed to carry that much! There is a zipped slot for a radio aerial/hydration tube.
If you need to carry a load a long way, I can recommend it!
When I was last in Norway, one of the mushers also used one, and had had it for a few years, and swore by it!
The Bergans pack that Sandbender refers to is broadly similar and again would make an excellent choice, if you want an external frame.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE