Karrimor Sabre 45 F-Format back - keep or toss?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Hello!

Just received a Karrimor Sabre 45 with side pockets this morning.

I was wondering about the F-Format back system, I found one thread about it on this forum but there wasn't a clear consensus.

Who has kept it and who has binned it?

I'll try it with weight on the weekend but was wondering what others have done.

If I remove it how will the bag hold up with weight upwards of 15kg? If I keep it and want to adjust the height of the backpack mid-trek the F-Format back will get all messed up since it's only good on a certain height once I've moulded it.

Besides one of the rods broke on the first bend so I'm thinking is it even worth trying to mess around with it?

Thanks a million to anyone who's willing to comment on their experiences! :)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I've got a Karrimor Sabre 45, and I had a Karrimor Hot Ice ( the forerunner of the Sabre 45 ) years ago, until some scrote nicked it at Glastonbury. If you ditch the F-Format, you'll have to be very careful how you pack it every time that you use it.

If you're carrying 15kg + I think that the rigidity provided by the F-Format will help. Don't forget simple things like how much easier it is to pack a rucsac that isn't flopping around everywhere, and that the F-Format makes a nice warm seat when it's cold and / or wet.

If you've broken one of the rods it should be possible to get a replacement F-Format.

Cheers, Michael.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Thanks Michael for the info.

All valid points that I've considered myself, and it seems that the F-format is worth keeping.

However, in another thread there were many who had removed it and liked it very much. I'd like someone to talk about their reasons for doing so and the pro's and con's.

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Definitely keep it! I slept on mine on a week long survival course too- i know its only small, but when you don't have a sleeping bag, it honestly made a great difference. As mentioned above, it does make the whole thing more rigid and comfortable as well. The only time i would think about removing it, is if you were planning on stowing the sabre under the lid of a larger rucsack- as a grab sack.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Thanks for the further encouragement. I managed to get a replacement F-Format from Karrimor too.

I have another question about the side pockets and I don't want to start a new thread, maybe someone will notice this. :)

What is the bottom middle strap used for on the side pockets? I found it attatches to nowhere logical and serves no logical purpose. Then again I haven't tried the pockets with the yoke, maybe the strap serves a purpose there?

Thanks!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Those straps are useful for stowing clothing or equipment you want to get at without removing the pack from your back. I keep my waterproof top there when there is a chance of quick showers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE