Kakadu Hat preliminary review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
I figured that since I got my Kakadu hat the other day, I'd review it! I considered going outside to do so, but it's windy and overcast - not having a neck cord for it yet, and there being no sun to shine in my eyes or rain to soak me I figured it would be a pretty pointless review, so I'll try and add that at a later date...

First impressions? See for yourself!
hat1.JPG

Nice hat! I was surprised at how soft the leather was. Not too thin, but certainly not too thick. The edge is folded over around somethingorother to keep the brim in shape - it seems to be the same sort of stuff that they use around the edge of those foldable mesh laundry hampers. Very flexible but very elastic, and firm enough to stay in place. It does mean that you can't alter the shape though, as you can with wire brims, but it makes it more packable (as you won't constantly be bending and restraightening the wire, which could lead to it breaking I guess). I've been wearing it round the house the last couple days to see how it is for comfort and it does wobble slightly when you walk, but I only notice it when looking for it to be honest. The headband is nicely made - I'm not sure what leather it's made from, but it's braided and crimped together with a metal band. it's slightly oversized though, IMO.

hat2.JPG

hat3.JPG

As you can see there's a bit of softer leather on the front, which I presume is to make it a bit nicer on the forehead. Nice idea, I like it :D I wear a bandana with it to keep my hair out of the way though, so I could do without - still, it shows a bit of intelligence in the design. It's only sewn along the bottom, like the flap on a baseball cap. It also has a couple loops for a neckcord - it didn't come with one though, and I may or may not bother. I'm thinking that I might just have a short loop of leather from one which can be attached to a pack, strap, passant etc. I prefer that to wearing it around my neck.

hat4.JPG

Feel free to avert your eyes :p Sorry for the mirror picture too, but I'd have been here all day if I had to point it at myself. The hat sits a little high for my liking, but after looking on google images, this seems to be quite common for this type of hat. Certainly, it won't sit any lower without putting my head through the top :p Shown better in this picture...
hat5.JPG

Now I look at that picture it seems to be the curvature of the brim more than anything else...

Then I took a shower :D Careful not to shampoo the hat, of course.

hat6.JPG

As you can see, most of the water beads on the surface rather than soaking in. There are a few damp patches... my hair was bone dry, as were my glasses.
hat7.JPG

No soaking through at all.
A wipe with the towel had it good as new!

hat9.JPG

Packable as said! This was how it arrived in the box (having been like that from last thursday to yesterday at least) and recovers remarkably well.
hat10.JPG

Feel free to sit on it, too.
hat11.JPG

Pop it back on your head, and good as new :D

I love this hat, I have to say. It's comfortable, water-resistant (I won't say waterproof, because of the damp patches, but it shed the water great), light, packable. Now I just need to find out how to care for it!

Peace folks!
Pete

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Nice initial review. Look forward to a 'used in anger' review. Would like a comparison too as I am in the market for a hat but don't know what are the benchmark hats to compare it to.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Barn Owl - tis I reckon :D I've since applied dubbin too, so I reckon it'll be more waterproof now too.

littlebiglane - To be honest I'm not sure what I'd compare it to - I won't have one anyway :p I'm sure it can be outdone, but I think it's a damn fine hat for the price :D

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
Must admit I'm mad on hats & have quite a few incuding a kakadu bush hat, I have had it a couple of years & I'm really pleased with it :)
but I have a Akubra sombrero which is my favourite heres a pic of 4 of my hats
including my Kakadu :)
hats002.jpg

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Very nice :D What's that one on the bottom left? I'm sure I saw it or a similar one on the Bush tucker man in one of Ray's shows? Is it shaped like that for a reason or is it just an alternative to more common shapes?

Cheers
Pete

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Good review.Ive had a kakadu hat for years now and i love it,its well traveled and starting to look a bit beatup which i like.You just have to put up with numpties calling you crocodile dundee!..well i do!BTW.I got mine for £25 from a country show.

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
Very nice :D What's that one on the bottom left? I'm sure I saw it or a similar one on the Bush tucker man in one of Ray's shows? Is it shaped like that for a reason or is it just an alternative to more common shapes?

Cheers
Pete

Thats it Pete same as Les Hiddens hat, you buy it as an open crown hat & shape it yourself with steam, although you can have it done by the hat suppliers in Aus. the hat is based on the old Australian Rangler/ringer style

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
launditch1 - Eh, no big deal, I've been called a great many things over the years :D Terminator was one of my favourites - why they thought I would be insulted I do not know :p

Mick - ahh I like the "shape yourself" bit :D Very nice!

Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks,
Seeing as this hat has been put through its paces now, I figured I could update...

Water resistance has improved vastly after using dubbin. No water absorbed at all from what I can tell, and certainly none gets through - does a great job at keeping my glasses and my cigarette dry.

Packability? Well, I was a bit concerned for a while, as I just folded it up and stuck it in my shoulder bag when I was going out, and some days were so windy there was no point wearing it, so I would get home and take it out and it would, unsurprisingly, look like a binbag in a gale. Very pleased to say though, that setting it on a flat surface for a few minutes or just putting it on and adjusting the brim to its former position sorts it fine though. Here's a pic of it after a good week of rain, wind, sitting on it, getting it caught on branches, packing it under a two litre bottle of water and sitting it on a wet sandy beach under a rock to make sure it doesn't blow away:
24.JPG

And on the head:
25.JPG

The creasing at the top and front is more to do with it not being on properly than packing damage, for the record.

Excellent hat, I love it! The locals didn't seem to think me too much of a nutter either.

Pete

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have the very same hatI have rotted out the sweat patch in mine...but it has seen some serious use, has the crown stained black from sweat and grease, the brim has stretched so it dips well down at the front and I have replaced the hatband with a home made cordage and Zulu beadwork one.
Love mine to bits, but it is too warm for summer wear for me - which is when the Tilley comes into its own!
Over the years I have worn out 3 Tilley hats - all replaced free of charge under the lifetime guarantee - so you can see that hats take some punishment on my head!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Christ John, what are you doing to them? :p I can see what you mean about the heat though, it did get a bit toasty under a hot sun but it didn't bother me a great deal - to be fair though, I was wearing a buff under the hat. I'm not sure if it would worsen the heat or protect me a bit from it, but I'm sure it helps with the sweat.

Pete

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use them HARD, boy!
This is aprox10 years wear on Tilleys - so 3 years each on average - but in that time I have used them on exped in 3 continents, 9 countries from Jungle to desert, river to mountain, sun, rain, snow, mud - you name it...and I have VERY acid sweat it seems.....oh - and I wear them practically every day of the year.....

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I use them HARD, boy!
This is aprox10 years wear on Tilleys - so 3 years each on average - but in that time I have used them on exped in 3 continents, 9 countries from Jungle to desert, river to mountain, sun, rain, snow, mud - you name it...and I have VERY acid sweat it seems.....oh - and I wear them practically every day of the year.....

Now you say it, it sounds impressive they've lasted that long!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE