Just thought I'd put in a mention...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...for St. George...

Our parade went well last sunday, with fine weather and a good turn out

DSCF6785copy.jpg

Along the streets of Petworth

DSCF6780.jpg

Bhageera

Jan 24, 2006
London
Looks like you had nice weather for your day. We have our District Parade on Sunday, only hope that the weather is as good.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
god your scouts are small, and even a few look the same as mine :-S worrying that there may be two of them :-S is that a good turn out for use? as if i get that many for founders day parade al be well chuffed

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
In order for my scouts to camp they have to turn up at least one of two parades; this one or Remembrance Sunday.

Personally I have more affinity with Remembrance Sunday.

We are only a small village group and at present we have 22 scouts, 24 cubs and 26 beavers, which is the highest membership in the groups 50yr history.

They are a small group, but the scouts are young, mostly 10-12yrs. They are all keen bushcrafters, which is a good thing considering he emphasis I place on bushcraft and backwoods camping...

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
thats really good numbers for anywhere especially for a small village. its a mighty fine idea about the no parade no camp idea as thats where our explorers seem to fail on turning up.

any hints n tips on how to get them so involved in bushcraft? i would love to take them camping more but just waiting on some stuff coming back before i get my nights away permit :D

webbie

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
My lot hate being indoors. Cant stand the sit around and learn stuff involved in badges, but like the badges all the same. So I try to ensure that everything I do has a practical side. For example lashings and knots relate directly to shelter building, tarp hanging and the like. So the knots learned are of direct value and application. Knife and axe relates through making bows, pot hangers and skinning rabbits to name but a few. Pioneering skills are put to use with river crossings and the like. First aid is field oriented with scenarios well away from the hut, normally involving a makeshift stretcher and a hike back to the hut. And so it goes on.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
just a quick bump to say i kind of stole ur idea for using activites to work toward things and to help them learn,

all i can really do just now is steal ideas due to the fact i never had a fixed scout leader during my time as a scout so never learned how to pass on skills, but i am still young so i will learn, i hope :p

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Stovie
Good turnout one of my young leaders is smaller than most of your scouts though.

Webbie
Keep at it. Practice new skills and activities before you demonstrate them is a key tip;)

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Only just seen this - God it brings back memories!
Like the others have said really. Personally I didn't used to mind sitting to learn something but plenty did. Lots of activities, I think small groups (more individual 'teaching') also helps.

Mang

Settler
I enjoy the st Georges Day parade because I know the streets always have a lot of onlookers so it's a good advert (even better with the sun out!)

I'm practising pyro stuff for our Cub camp- Steels, caramp balls, charcloth etc :D

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...Lots of activities, I think small groups (more individual 'teaching') also helps.

My problem to date (and many others are in the same boat, I know) is there is myself and one other running the group and so we end up with too many when trying tutorials etc....

...That was, until now....just landed myself another potential ASL....:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE