Just read this online, in my local paper.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds like he was a lucky man. Good on the teams who searched through a bitter cold night for him :)
I too think the MR teams do a sterling job. I happily drop cash into their rattling cans.

A friend died up a hill a year past. There was a collection at the funeral for the MR, and it raised thousands. Volunteers give their time and ability, I don't think that they should need to fundraise for kit and fuel and training too…..but that's another discussion really.

M

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Sounds like he was a lucky man. Good on the teams who searched through a bitter cold night for him :)
I too think the MR teams do a sterling job. I happily drop cash into their rattling cans.

A friend died up a hill a year past. There was a collection at the funeral for the MR, and it raised thousands. Volunteers give their time and ability, I don't think that they should need to fundraise for kit and fuel and training too…..but that's another discussion really.

M

Hear! Hear! Mary, i totally agree :)

I good to know, if folk get into difficulty, we have teams like this, come out and search for you.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Not enough info in the media article to know how that came about but many (many!) moons ago I did a few stints on an MRT in the Lakes and on a number of occasions turned out to recover people who had walked 'a short distance' from their vehicle, turned around a couple of times and become completely disorientated, then walked 'back' to their motor in the wrong direction.

It would be interesting to know if a mobile phone nav app was involved in the OP incident as I see more and more people out in the sticks using them - IMHO not wise to rely on.

Some years back now I came across the Bushnell Backtrack - a simple to operate GPS device on which you can set your start location, switch it off and stick it in your pocket/ruck and if you do go adrift you simply switch it back on and select the start point and it will guide you back. (Although it indicates 'as the crow flies' so care re intermediate hazards has to be factored in).

I've used one on my grandson as an intro to full blown GPS and he picked up the use of it in minutes.

Don't get me wrong - not a total substitute for map and compass but that takes time to learn and skill to apply - the Backtrack far less so.

Backtrack.jpg

PS The misper was fortunate to be found safe and well - especially at this time of year!

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Aye Up,

Not enough info in the media article to know how that came about but many (many!) moons ago I did a few stints on an MRT in the Lakes and on a number of occasions turned out to recover people who had walked 'a short distance' from their vehicle, turned around a couple of times and become completely disorientated, then walked 'back' to their motor in the wrong direction.

It would be interesting to know if a mobile phone nav app was involved in the OP incident as I see more and more people out in the sticks using them - IMHO not wise to rely on.

Some years back now I came across the Bushnell Backtrack - a simple to operate GPS device on which you can set your start location, switch it off and stick it in your pocket/ruck and if you do go adrift you simply switch it back on and select the start point and it will guide you back. (Although it indicates 'as the crow flies' so care re intermediate hazards has to be factored in).

I've used one on my grandson as an intro to full blown GPS and he picked up the use of it in minutes.

Don't get me wrong - not a total substitute for map and compass but that takes time to learn and skill to apply - the Backtrack far less so.

View attachment 43318

PS The misper was fortunate to be found safe and well - especially at this time of year!

Looks a nifty little device Jaeger.

I don't know if one of the search dogs found him, i don't think he was out hiking, camping. I bet the temps where well in to the minuses.

He's lucky to be found alive and well.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up All,

I think that this post is worth a bump, as yesterday whilst out in the sticks I came across a couple doing some type of geocaching using their mobile phone - which had suddenly died-a-death.

As it happens they were in a well trodden and signed area and so no major issue retracing to their start point. (Just less fun than they had expected).

This isn't the first time that I've seen this situation with mobile phones - in fact I've recently noticed that my own - despite being carried in a jacket pocket, theoretically fairly warm, has suffered a quicker than usual reduction in battery power in low-ish temperatures. (I always carry an archaic Sonim LR phone as emergency back-up).

Notably, only a couple of years back I had two digital cameras fail completely within a day or two of each other whilst out shooting - again in low temps.

Despite the genius of current age technology I'm beginning to have my doubts about its robustness against cold weather.:(

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I'm sure there is a fundamental misunderstanding or lack of appreciation on the part of many people that getting lost/stranded/injured in zero degrees and a wind chill factor taking it to minus temperatures, is the same on an English moor or a Scottish hillside as if they were in Scandinavia or any other cold climate. For some reason the " It's the UK not the Arctic" mind set is common. There's a "it can't happen here" attitude which I'm sure costs people their lives.
Years ago I was looking for a pair of cold weather Mittens of a trigger finger design because I was going on a course in the Brecon Beacons in late January. A conversation took place between me and someone and I've never forgotten it. Something like " These are Canadian issue cold weather mitts but if you're only going to Wales....."

Ah! well that's ok then, freezing at zero degrees Celsius in Wales is obviously a lot warmer than freezing at 32 degrees Fahrenheit in Canada. :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What a hoot! You gotta get out of the wind, anyway possible. Damp cold sucks the heat out of me far faster than a day of -25C.
At -30C and colder, you can spit at a tree and it bounces off.
+4C, slatting rain and windy in downtown Vancouver, BC is about as cold as I've ever experienced.

All you people with rarely -10C need to pay special attention to your damp cold and the wind.
Coming to visit you in your winter, I'd bring my Cdn outer wear, all but the Eddie Bauer -20C parka.

I have really good cold weather/winter clothing. I dress properly and off I go to the shops. I'm comfortable,
that's the operative phrase. Some village idiot always has to ask: "Are you cold?" Far from it.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I'm by no means a experienced or seasoned wildcamper, let alone wildcamping in cold weather. Ive been accumulated necessary kit where i feel i could go out on winter wildcamping trips.

You do see folk going out ill prepared for the weather conditions, and getting in to difficulties.

Two rescue helicopters have just flew over the house at low level, heading for James Cook Hospital helipad, about 2 mile away. I'm just watching the local news, for any reports about it.

Trotsky

Up on the moor is a wonderful place to be, this time of the year included but, only if you're prepared. Before I began to dabble in bushcraft I went up there in early January with my car, exploring small lanes and what not. I stopped numerous times to have a look about, take photos and such however, I never went beyond being able to see my car. It was damn cold, blowing a wind, overcast and misting rain here and there and while I was suitably dressed I know how suddenly things can change for the worse so I thought I'd be sensible. I've been up again since in the summer on motorbike and while I appreciate the warmth, there is something nice about the moors in winter, the cold keeps away the tourists so often it's just you, the scenery and tranquil silence.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My husband and sons, and a lot of my friends, are out in all kinds of weather; I am incredibly grateful that there are people who would go and look and help if need be.

Mountain Rescue, Coastguards and Lifeboats, Lowland Rescue….they all deserve support and appreciation for what they do.

Our weather is so very changeable, and I know we make jokes about it, but the reality is that what might well be a nice sunny day will change to a sodden wet one with freezing winds, within a very short time. The comment about, "Don't like the weather ? hang on, there'll be another kind along in a minute", is very apt. It's worse too on exposed areas. Our hills and moorlands might not be continental sized, but they're hit by some really miserable conditions at times.

It's not just tourists though (in the middle of Summer, a ten year old girl died of hypothermia here, http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11932407.Mountain_warning_as_girl__eight__dies_of_cold/ ) but locals who wander out thinking, "Ach, it'll be fine"…..and it's not always.
It can seem such a burden taking extra layers on a nice day though.

My Dad lived wild on Rannoch Moor for three years. He said that you learned the mood of the place and you always, always, had an eye on the weather.
Most folks live very suburban lives now, mostly we don't know how to always, always, keep an eye on the weather now.

M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have little experience of the mountains but I have been in the Cairngorms in winter.

Blizzard come down like a whiteout blanket.

Pepper16

Jan 16, 2017
Derbyshire
Incident 6 Search and Rescue Clay Bank
Saturday 21st January 2017 0120hrs
The call came in the very early hours of Saturday morning. A 39 year old man from Middlesbrough had been reported missing in a vulnerable state by his family. His empty car had been located by North Yorkshire Police near the popular car park at Clay Bank on the Stokesley - Helmsley road.
20 members of Cleveland Mountain Rescue Team responded to the call out along with one search dog handler. Four search teams were established and they spent five hours through the nighttime in subzero temperatures searching the likely tracks that could have been taken by the missing man.
With first light the search was escalated with personnel from three additional rescue teams (Scarborough, Teesdale, Swaledale) joining the search replacing Cleveland Team members who stood down to sleep. Four additional search dogs also attended the incident.
The search was concluded when a walker found the man on one of the moorland paths two and a half kilometres from where his car was parked. The man was in need of medical attention and was looked after by mountain rescue personnel before being flown to James Cook Hospital by Yorkshire Air Ambulance.
In all the search lasted just over ten hours and involved 70 mountain rescue volunteers from 6 mountain rescue teams and five search dogs as well as personnel from North Yorkshire Police, Yorkshire Air Ambulance and Yorkshire Ambulance Service.
"A long nights work but we are pleased that the missing man was found alive after being out all night in very cold conditions"

From http://www.clevelandmrt.org.uk/callouts.php

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
" The man was in need of medical attention ".... another lucky one lives to tell the tale. What a magnificent effort by the search teams....again. goodjob

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
I'm on the local voluntary rescue group. The alarms come at the worst times and weather and everything is on you, gear, tansport, canine, food, you name it.
I just had my grab bag stolen with most of my other usable gear and must put the "hobby" on hold till I can replace the important bits. Annoying as H...

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Thanks for the posting the full report up :)

I just seen it in the local rag, though I'd post the link up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE