Just one crop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
SO, we're thinking of not planting anything next year, I think mainly because Shelly (wife) does all the work and she's a little sick of doing it all, plus summer time gets nuts here with the Moot and other stuff and it's hard going to keep on top of things.

If we planted just one thing what do you think it should be, just a small area, easy to upkeep and look after...I'm thinking onions, but I'm interested in other opinions...

Reactions: Le Loup

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
If you get them in now, maybe garlic?

something you can harvest and keep long term for sure. We have a single bed full of strawberries and as great as it is seeing them and having a glut we end up giving loads away or making jam. Then you are left with nothing bar jam.

Some kind of bean might work well, you could always dry excess beans for storage. Being a climbing legume you could probably grow a ton of alliums next to them quite happily

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
SO, we're thinking of not planting anything next year, I think mainly because Shelly (wife) does all the work and she's a little sick of doing it all, plus summer time gets nuts here with the Moot and other stuff and it's hard going to keep on top of things.

If we planted just one thing what do you think it should be, just a small area, easy to upkeep and look after...I'm thinking onions, but I'm interested in other opinions...
I'd choose whatever you really like and have success with, but that is hard to find in shops, expensive to buy or much tastier if homegrown. Strawberries come too mind.

I've got herbs in planters on the patio and in a raised border and that's certainly paid off.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Spuds.

Seriously, put in potatoes.

They're an easy crop, just happ them up with whatever and let them get on with it.
One dig up at the end of the season, and everyone can help because it's a fun thing to see how many you have :)

I've just emptied a big planter that I put three wee sprouting potatoes into in May, and I've got 8+kgs of very decent sized potatoes. For virtually no effort. :)

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Spuds or parsnips. Neither take or need much work once started. I prefer parsnips as I enjoy the taste, plus you can grow them very close together without any negative effects, so they’re very space-efficient in smaller gardens. They last well in the ground, overwinter well, and you can lift only what you need each time.

Having said that, you should only consider things that you really like to eat, particularly if you’re only going to grow one thing.

Reactions: Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Onions and garlic. No fuss, just need to keep the weeds down a bit, not worried about watering, store well, loads of uses.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I would go for oca over potatoes, just for the unusual factor and that standard potatoes are easily available.

This is my third year of growing Oca - I'm impressed by its virility to produce a decent harvest and as it doesn't get Blight. It also for those into Guerrilla gardening it also doesn't look like anything familiar.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Maybe plant something that can put something back into the soil.

I can't remember the name currently ( useful...)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
This is my third year of growing Oca - I'm impressed by its virility to produce a decent harvest and as it doesn't get Blight. It also for those into Guerrilla gardening it also doesn't look like anything familiar.
I’m planning to get some in this next season.
Are you saving some from each crop as your starter for the next year?

Any particular colour or a mix?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I’m planning to get some in this next season.
Are you saving some from each crop as your starter for the next year?

Any particular colour or a mix?

I've got a mix - can sort you out with some if you would like?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'd agree with growing what you most like and the suggestion of potatoes, ideally new ones.

Most things you can buy in the shops but I've never really found decent new potatoes of a variety I like.

I'd avoid some of the other suggestions here as the weeds will, and do, rapidly smother even onions and garlic.

What you need to do is help out in the garden and grow more things.

I think not planting your garden is a big mistake Tony, but your choice. As climate change accelerates there will be more food shortages & prices will rise. If you are only going to plant one crop, then what is the most expensive food that you purchase?
Keith.

Climate change means Australia may have to abandon much of its farming

‘The only uncertainty is how long we’ll last’: a worst case scenario for the climate in 2050
https://www.trtworld.com/life/extinction-disease-heat-to-hit-earth-sooner-than-feared-un-draft-report-47758

Climate change widespread, rapid, and intensifying - IPCC
'Very grim world': Dr David Suzuki's prediction for the future

'Uninhabitable hell': Climate change and disease threaten millions
Welcome to the Anthropocene Age. Will it be the end of us?
More Frequent, Severe Climate-Fueled Disasters Exacerbate Humanitarian Crises
‘High likelihood of human civilisation coming to end’ by 2050, report finds
Human society has 90% chance of collapsing in the next few decades. But why?
Inquiry hears natural disasters likely to become more intense and frequent in future | Sky News Australia
Anthropogenic climate change accelerating faster than earlier, natural analogs - Advanced Science News
Climate change is only going to make health crises like coronavirus more frequent and worse
'My home is touched by the sea': Climate change displacing one person every two seconds, Oxfam says
'Uninhabitable Hell:' UN Report Warns of Planet's Future for Millions Without Climate Action
Are We Really Past the Point of No Return on Climate? Scientists Respond To Controversial New Study
2 °C of Warming Could Open The Floodgates For 230 Billion Tons of Carbon to Escape
Global warming is on pace for catastrophic 3.3º C without drastic measures
Whatever happens … it’s the end of the world as we know it https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-st...ns-2648886531.html?rebelltitem=3#rebelltitem3
Australia's Bushfires Burned an Area Twice the Size of Florida. Climate Change Means That's Just the Beginning, a New Report Warns
Global warming likely to increase disease risk for animals worldwide
A warning on climate and the risk of societal collapse | Letter
Global warming at 'boiling point', warns expert
As World Teeters on Brink, Over 250 Scientists and Scholars Warn of Full-Fledged 'Societal Collapse'
Climate change can disrupt food availability, reduce access to food, and affect food quality. For example, projected increases in temperatures, changes in precipitation patterns, changes in extreme weather events, and reductions in water availability may all result in reduced agricultural productivity.
Climate Impacts on Agriculture and Food Supply | US EPA
How Climate Change Will Alter Our Food
http://www.fao.org/elearning/course/FCC/EN/pdf/learnernotes0854.pdf
Climate Change Threatens the World’s Food Supply, United Nations Warns (Published 2019)
Climate explained: how climate change will affect food production and security
How climate change threatens food security (and why we're all at risk)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Or you could just plant a green manure plant, like clover, to keep the weeds at bay and improve the soil for the year after. You just need to look out for the slugs.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Or you could just plant a green manure plant, like clover, to keep the weeds at bay and improve the soil for the year after. You just need to look out for the slugs.

Thats what I meant!! Clover.

Chop and drop and rotovate in.

Reactions: SaraR

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think not planting your garden is a big mistake Tony, but your choice. As climate change accelerates there will be more food shortages & prices will rise. If you are only going to plant one crop, then what is the most expensive food that you purchase?
Keith.

Climate change means Australia may have to abandon much of its farming

‘The only uncertainty is how long we’ll last’: a worst case scenario for the climate in 2050
https://www.trtworld.com/life/extinction-disease-heat-to-hit-earth-sooner-than-feared-un-draft-report-47758

Climate change widespread, rapid, and intensifying - IPCC
'Very grim world': Dr David Suzuki's prediction for the future

'Uninhabitable hell': Climate change and disease threaten millions
Welcome to the Anthropocene Age. Will it be the end of us?
More Frequent, Severe Climate-Fueled Disasters Exacerbate Humanitarian Crises
‘High likelihood of human civilisation coming to end’ by 2050, report finds
Human society has 90% chance of collapsing in the next few decades. But why?
Inquiry hears natural disasters likely to become more intense and frequent in future | Sky News Australia
Anthropogenic climate change accelerating faster than earlier, natural analogs - Advanced Science News
Climate change is only going to make health crises like coronavirus more frequent and worse
'My home is touched by the sea': Climate change displacing one person every two seconds, Oxfam says
'Uninhabitable Hell:' UN Report Warns of Planet's Future for Millions Without Climate Action
Are We Really Past the Point of No Return on Climate? Scientists Respond To Controversial New Study
2 °C of Warming Could Open The Floodgates For 230 Billion Tons of Carbon to Escape
Global warming is on pace for catastrophic 3.3º C without drastic measures
Whatever happens … it’s the end of the world as we know it https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-st...ns-2648886531.html?rebelltitem=3#rebelltitem3
Australia's Bushfires Burned an Area Twice the Size of Florida. Climate Change Means That's Just the Beginning, a New Report Warns
Global warming likely to increase disease risk for animals worldwide
A warning on climate and the risk of societal collapse | Letter
Global warming at 'boiling point', warns expert
As World Teeters on Brink, Over 250 Scientists and Scholars Warn of Full-Fledged 'Societal Collapse'
Climate change can disrupt food availability, reduce access to food, and affect food quality. For example, projected increases in temperatures, changes in precipitation patterns, changes in extreme weather events, and reductions in water availability may all result in reduced agricultural productivity.
Climate Impacts on Agriculture and Food Supply | US EPA
How Climate Change Will Alter Our Food
http://www.fao.org/elearning/course/FCC/EN/pdf/learnernotes0854.pdf
Climate Change Threatens the World’s Food Supply, United Nations Warns (Published 2019)
Climate explained: how climate change will affect food production and security
How climate change threatens food security (and why we're all at risk)
Some very worrying and interesting links in there Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE