Just landed ....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Robin

Feb 26, 2021
West Yorkshire
Thanks for the welcome

I've been looking at Heinnie Hayes a fair bit this week and thought I better join a forum to read up on reviews and see what people are using.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Welcome.
Another place you might join is Edge Matters. Its members only, so cannot read it without registering,, but registering for basic is free.

What sort of price range are you looking at, and what sort of jobs does your idea of EDC consist of? Does your every day lean towards slicing abrasive things like card board, rope, sacking, or carpet, or more towards carving wood, or cutting fruit, or maybe you fancy more tools and less blade?

Reactions: The Robin

The Robin

Feb 26, 2021
West Yorkshire
Hi and thanks again for the welcome. Once I've got to grips and learnt my way round here I may end up registering on Edge Matters forum.

After spending hours looking at Heinnie Hayes web site I think upto and around a £100 is enough to start with. My use will be general use if there is such a knife? Mainly out in the field with my dog or while I'm shooting. I seem to be going round in circles looking at knifes so any info and advise is more than welcomed

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
Hi @The Robin, not very long on here myself, but there are a couple of threads already around that kind of question.

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/threads/advice-on-an-edc.144966/

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/threads/folding-knife-suggestions.153008/

TBS Boar seems to be quite highly regarded, to the point that there’s even a thread asking about what’s a comparable alternative.

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/threads/legal-edc-bushcraft-knife.157012/

There are a few knifey folk on here, a few who are on EM too, I’m sure you’ll get an honest view if there’s something that’s caught your eye, but yeah as @C_Claycomb says above depends what you’re using it for.

For £100 you could get 2 or 3 pretty decent general use edc knives and see what you are most comfortable with, or just start with one, that’s definitely the edge of the sharp stuff rabbit hole though...

The Robin

Feb 26, 2021
West Yorkshire
@Souledman thanks for the welcome and time getting the links up for me. I've got plenty of reading to do and will be going back and forth between here and Heinnie Hayes to check things out.

Yes I could get a few knifes for my price limit and I can see this knife lark leading into more knifes ....

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Lots of choice. Something that you might want to consider, that isn't on the Heinnie site is the Lars Falt slip joint.

If you are leaning towards outdoors and shooting, then the bigger handle on this could be better than many thin, flat, easy carry pocket knives.

Chris

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Welcome to the forum.

You have opened a bit of a Pandora's box with your first post :)

You said legal EDC - by that do you mean 'every day' or with justification? So do you mean a legal folder or are you looking for a fixed blade?

I literally carry a knife every day unless I am going into some place that prohibits such a carry (like a court of law) - I carry it shooting, working in the woods, walking the dog, even down the pub - and that's a SAK. I only carry a larger knife (a fixed blade) when camping or working in the wood and even then I probably use the SAK more than the fixed blade.

The Robin

Feb 26, 2021
West Yorkshire
@C_Claycomb Chris thanks again for your help and the link to the Casstrom knife looks super solid and more traditional. It's given me food for thought and totally different to what I've been looking at on Heinnie Hayes web site. I was swinging towards the spyderco ukpk after reading lots but the Casstrom is a nice curve ball. Hmmm what to do ....

@Broch hi and yes I understand what your saying about Pandora's box, it wasn't my intention. I have thought about a fixed blade or lock knife when out in the field. I 'think' I would be ok to have said knife on me from what I've read about UK knife law? It's just I know somewhere down the line especially with the smaller locking knifes I've seen I will forget that it's in a coat pocket or rucksack and I don't want to open that can of worms with it been on me. I would rather just stay legal all the time and have no issues or worries.

The Robin

Feb 26, 2021
West Yorkshire
Well after much thought and re reading lots of info I decided that I was going to try the Spyderco urban lightweight to start with. Next issue Heinnie Hayes was out of stock but with some help I found one at Oakedge Knifes. Super fast postage and I've now got it it. Now need to figure out how to upload a pic of it ....

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Well after much thought and re reading lots of info I decided that I was going to try the Spyderco urban lightweight to start with. Next issue Heinnie Hayes was out of stock but with some help I found one at Oakedge Knifes. Super fast postage and I've now got it it. Now need to figure out how to upload a pic of it ....
You don't often go wrong with a spyderco.

Lionsteel Thrill for your next purchase....you never stop at one. I just picked one up and very impressed https://heinnie.com/lion-steel-mono...as7cgTK2aJoFwcL0u4SSBalpyFnVObqxoCyfUQAvD_BwE

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE