Just joined the other day ...thanx for the warm welcom...some pics of what I do......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
honestly ..you can just about get the kitchen sink in....If I had an open canoe, I'd probobly try & take my bike!!!
Yeh have had a couple of small day trips in an open boat with a mate who had one...found it a great experience....would love to own one & probably will before too long as my older daughter is very keen on the outdoors....we use the sea boats mostly on west coast sea lochs & inland lochs as well...I've never done anything too committing like big open crossings (yet). the sea demands respect & it gets mine in full.
Recently bought the SCA Scottish canoe touring guidebook & was very impressed with all of the routes detailed in it..for example - Mallaig to upper loch Nevis or to the head of loch quoich in winter..right to the foot of big inaccesable mountains!!...these are trips I will do.
In contrast - I have two sea kayaking guidebooks & the trips in them are mostly very serious stuff....club & guided stuff....'Trip one - round the mull of galloway!'...'Trip two - ailsa craig'...hang on..where's my SCA open canoe guide??!! Lovely that'll do nicely.

JonathonD's right, watch out for that Miyagi - absolute oddball.

Great pictures there Davy.

I never knew a canoe could carry that much kit.

Looking at those pics, you're obviously one of those couch potato types. :D

All the best,

Liam
The sea boats are very roomy for gear...18ft long...90 litre in back compartment,55 litre up front, about 60 spare litres in the cockpit for bulky items..only problem is ...only 21 - 24 inches wide....so balance is of great importance and so you're advised not to wear a wristwatch. The 'icefloe' is very fast, has a full length keel & so has a turning circle like the largest supertankers- but tracks like its on rails when facing headwind or a following sea.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
The sea boats are very roomy for gear...18ft long...200 litre in back compartment, 90 litre up front, about 60 spare litres in the cockpit for bulky items..only problem is ...only 21 inches wide....so balance is of great importance and so you're advised not to wear a wristwatch. The 'icefloe' is very fast, has a full length keel & so has a turning circle like the largest supertankers- but tracks like its on rails when facing headwind or a following sea.

Nor a heavy gold sailor's earing? :D

Only 21" wide? I can rest my beer belly on the front though surely? I could call it ballast if anyone asks...

One day I'll take up kayaking/sea canoeing. Do you have to do RYA exams or anything?

Liam

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I have just bought a basic Sea Kayak form Song of the Paddle would be interested in having a chat one day Davy as the trips you mention are something I am keen to have a bash at.

I was thinking lightweight backpacking type kit stowed in the lockers with a few luxuries base camping at the foot of some of the more relote munros and then a nice bit of hill walking. Then back to camp for a steak and a nice bottle of merlot!!!

Sound good?

Andy

I have just bought a basic Sea Kayak form Song of the Paddle would be interested in having a chat one day Davy as the trips you mention are something I am keen to have a bash at.

I was thinking lightweight backpacking type kit stowed in the lockers with a few luxuries base camping at the foot of some of the more relote munros and then a nice bit of hill walking. Then back to camp for a steak and a nice bottle of merlot!!!

Sound good?

Andy
Yeh sounds magic mate....we could possibly hook up for weekender during the summer...we'll be in touch anyhow.

Nor a heavy gold sailor's earing? :D

Only 21" wide? I can rest my beer belly on the front though surely? I could call it ballast if anyone asks...

One day I'll take up kayaking/sea canoeing. Do you have to do RYA exams or anything?

Liam
if you get a tight enough wetsuit....you can force the old beer belly up under your arm pits & you'll look like arnie.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
2vdmdjb.jpg
Welcome

That is some cool pictures, i never even spotted the fox in this one until the second look.

you'll definitely fit in with the squad on here :)

Welcome

That is some cool pictures, i never even spotted the fox in this one until the second look.

you'll definitely fit in with the squad on here :)
Yeh...& what a fox he was.....turned my back for a minute while making breakfast on the first morning & he stole my butter!! - so we had 'dry' bacon rolls...We had to put all the grub in a dry bag & haul it up into the trees on a rope about 15 ft up & foxy still found it....caught him in the middle of the night trying to climb the tree & even pulling on the knot of the rope...
11j0rb5.jpg

25uqs76.jpg

w19sh0.jpg

spg3rr.jpg

dqn8g3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE