Just having A moan about.....

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Coming late to Old threads...
I just realized how much I hate realizing threads are old threads, I don't hate reading old threads so much as its I hate the fact that I hadn't realized they are old when I started reading, so there I am getting all interested & topical really getting involved, then just as I am about to put my 2 penneth worth in,bang it hits me, its an old thread, AAAAAArrrrgh! so frustrating, relevant advise or comments which I could have posted .... are with the passage of time now pointless or no longer relevant, but I have to keep on reading these old posts because I find old threads informative & interesting & also sometimes I feel there are some old threads that can be resurrected & can benefit from some new input... again AAAAArrrrgh!

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
If they weren't relevant any more they'd have been closed or deleted. I love the old threads simply because they give you a bit of history to this place... you can read up on some of the older debates and some advice that would have been lost long long ago if it wasn't for them remaining here in archive.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh I like old threads. Have spent many a quiet day trawling through them. Interesting to see how we viewed things, how memes started and what direction we are going in. Also good to catch up with old friends who are no longer with us.
Things have a habit of coming up again. The old chestnuts sprout up again and again, and if you have something relevant to add to an old thread I don't see anything wrong with adding to it; whether by adding or postulating it in a new thread. Folk come up with new ideas from time to time and its that moment of clarity that makes us all wonder how we didn't figure it before hand.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The old chestnuts sprout up again and again

Hence the reason I knew what tarp and hammock to buy without starting a new thread. When you read up on what people have said you get a good insight into what works... today I bought some stainless steel canisters for my lad... he's going to turn them into cooking pots using some inspiration from an old thread here.

Old threads Rock!!!!!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I brows the old threads sometimes, I'd say that if a thread has some life left in it or the subject is interesting then anyone should feel free to post in it,I think the ones i don't like being resurrected are the ones having a moan or rant, they can stay old, but if there's something interesting, something that will improve people's knowledge of skills etc then post away...

Cub Kaa

May 31, 2015
North Devon
Being new here I'm on catch up to older threads. So in some cases reviving an old one brings in something else. Or past posters on. Thread add to it again.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I think dewi may have misunderstood me. I meant my comments if I would have posted at the time may not by now be relevant eg threads like Q:I am going backpacking in a fortnight & need a light 2 man tent? a fortnight worth of advice later chappie has his tent. so a year down the line along comes me.... pointless me giving advice to this chappie he no longer needs a tent... still interesting to any one looking for light 2 man tent though... It losses something when you got to explain it...
so yea I think tony gets what I was trying to say he just says it a bit more elegantly than me

so to anybody else who loves the oldies, And maybe thought I was Knocking the oldies that was not my intention, we love the oldies. My thread is intended to be about "just having a general moan about anything" who doesn't like having a moan for me I was simply having a moan about coming late to a really good thread with a really interesting debate... & not instantly realizing the debate took place years ago & wishing I had been involved as part of the said debate... yea goatboy +1
so well said tony nothing to see here move along!

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Ahh, I see what you mean.

Still, there might be an odd occasion even in threads like that where you can find a useful gem. Supplier for tents or someone showing the tarp/tent trick maybe?

I'm currently trawling all the old threads about parachutes seeing whether what I want to know has already been asked about... some fascinating stuff in those threads and some great pictures.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
parachutes erm don't know much on that subject, except that parachutes silk was & may still be very sought after by dressmakers and the like for wedding dresses & similar that's the extent of my Knowledge on that one... you mentioned old threads giving you a bit of history here is one such story an old parachute thread (pun intended)

The women saw the Luftwaffe bomber crash two miles from their village before they decided to go on a raid of their own.
Grabbing pitchforks, brooms and textile scissors, they marched across the countryside towards the wreckage to find wounded wireless operator Rudolph Budde lying in a ditch.
Upon seeing the women wielding their weapons, the injured airman fled in terror believing they were after him.
But all the womenfolk wanted was his abandoned ivory parachute which provided precious silk for them to make underwear out of, a rare luxury during World War II.
It was said there was enough material to provide silk bloomers for all the women of the small hamlet of Earlswood, near Redditch, Warks.

Gefreiter Budde was captured the following day by the Home Guard and held as a prisoner of war after being treated for burns in a local hospital.
The episode has now come to light after Christine Thorp, whose mother Irene Smith was one of the women involved, took an offcut of the parachute to the BBC's Antiques Roadshow.
Mrs Thorp, 72, said: "My mother died two years ago aged 95 but a few years before she gave me the piece of the parachute as she knew I was interested in the story behind it.
"She told me the villagers had seen this German bomber come down a couple of miles away and a handful of them, mainly women as the men were away at war or working on the farms, got together and decided to retrieve a parachute.
"They picked up whatever weapons they could lay their hands on like pitchforks and brooms for their own protection and walked two miles across the fields.
"When they got there and found the airman they found he was more scared of them. She said he must have thought he was going to be killed and ran off into the woods.
"They found his parachute and cut it up among themselves using the scissors. It was pure silk, very soft and fine material.
"Women who were married during the war often had to make their own wedding dresses out of a variety of matierels. They were quite resourceful.
"All the ladies in the village who wanted some silk got some but others would not touch it because it was German.
"Mother did make some underwear out of her cut but she also got a piece that had some German printing on. It was unusable but she decided to keep it.
"I have had it for about 20 years and have washed and ironed it and now keep it in a plastic cover in my wardrobe.
"It is about 5ft long and triangular in shape."
Gefreiter Budde's Heinkel HE-III bomber was part of a large formation that attacked Birmingham on the night of May 10, 1941.
This particular aircraft was tasked with breaking off from the main group in order to bomb a factory at Longbridge where Lancaster bombers were being made.
The four-man crew were supposed to follow the Birmingham to Bristol railway line to direct them but chose the wrong tracks.
Instead the plane ended up going toward Redditch and was shot at by anti-aircraft fire when it past RAF Wythall. It crashed in a field nearby Earlswood.
The pilot, Oberlieutenant Johannes Speck von Steinberg, flight engineer Feldwebel Siegfried Ruhle, an Iron Cross winner, and observer Feldwebel Fritz Mohn were killed.
The Earlswood Village Museum still has part of the wreckage of the Heinkel as well as Feldwebel Ruhle's Iron Cross that was found in the field weeks later.
Val Tonks, the curator of the museum, said: "It has long been on record who the crew were, what their mission was and what happened to the survivor.
"But it was only about six months ago that I heard of this story of these women capturing the parachute.
"I came across another woman whose mother had run across the fields to claim her piece of the parachute.
"Of course, more recently, this second account came out and it is now clear that this was one of the most bizarre exchanges between British civilians and German airmen during the war."
The three dead Germans are buried at Cannock Chase, Staffs, which is now a German war cemetery.
Gefreiter Budde was repatriated to Germany after the war. He died in 2003 aged in his 80s.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
schoolkids blatantly loitering on a busy roads... usually I get moderately annoyed at school kids who are old enough to know better. Today though it made me laugh with traffic coming from the other direction there was no room for me to go round a group of teenagers who had spilled over from the pavement on to the road causing me to slow right down most of the children dispersed back on to the pavement one boy who was walking backwards was apparently oblivious to my presence, forced me to have to stop I gently & purposefully brought my car to a complete halt inches away from the boy who was still walking backwards, at the same time several of the other children had started shouting for him to move. it was much to every ones amusement as he turned round and literally walked into & tripped over the bonnet of my car....

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
There used to be a story years ago told down the pub about a WWII allied airman who survived after jumping from an aircraft. It was told that his parachute failed and he free fell 20,000 feet, hitting a sloped snowy mountain which he slide down, off the end of a cliff, through the skylight of a building and into a bed. He'd landed in a hospital, but the story goes he had little or no injuries.

Being that this story was always told after a few of the lads had drunk more than their fair share, I took it all with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, the internet comes about and years later I was sat at my keyboard aimlessly clicking around at this and that when I remembered the story, so I looked it up.

Turns out it wasn't one airman, it was three. Separate incidents, but a British airmen fell from over 18,000ft without a parachute, hit a pine tree and landed in soft snow. He suffered a sprained leg!

Another was an American airmen who fell 22,000ft without a parachute. He fell through a glass roof at a train station and survived (although he was very badly hurt and was riddled with shrapnel)

Finally a Russian airman, jumped at 23,000ft from a damaged aircraft. Before he could pull the cord for his parachute, he passed out due to the lack of oxygen. He landed on a snowy mountain and slide down to the bottom suffering severe spinal injuries, but he survived.

So those guys down the pub all that time ago were mashing up 3 stories and I presume adding in a bit from Carry On Doctor :)

Sorry to veer so much from the original topic, but it just reminded me with you talking about the german airmen.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Not so far of thread, how Several stories getting mashed in to one could almost be construed as a moan... most pub stories probably have some origins of truth... copious amounts of alcohol probably contribute to the mashing process

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE