Just got told....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
About this, haven't tried it so no responsibility etc. Allegedly it's used by some RAF types.
Many people carry a flint & steel and some form of chemical impregnated tinder, now the gist of this "tip" is that you screw a steel screw into one of your tinder blocks and leave it there. Should you need a "light" you pull (not unscrew) the screw and strike it on the flint. Apparently, enough "fuel" from the tinder builds up on the threads to allow the screw to burn like a match, and you get several lights from it before you need to "refuel" it. Dunno how useful it would be, or even if it works, but it might be worth a go if you're bored.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Sounds a bit like a metal match - do they still make those - the things that run on lighter fluid and strike on a metal strip on the side. I wonder if it's hexamine tablets they're using?

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
metal match are still being made.

i personally don't think it is a very good idea to open fuel tablets packages, the powder will not only get in to the screw, but also everything else in the same bag/container or whatever. Not good wenn it is stored in the same bag as your food. Since fuel tabs are usually use to heat food this isn't a unlikely thing.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
But if you screwed it straight through the packaging it should remain pretty air tight, might rip, but a bit of care and it should be ok.
On a tangent, my signwriter friend does this with paint cans, screws into the bottom of the side, removes the screw to drain some paint out. Stops the piant going off as it doesn't break the skin, and he can get the little he needs.
Irrelvant really :?:
Rich

jakunen

Native
Access to this web page is restricted at this time.
Reason:
The Websense category "Sport Hunting and Gun Clubs" is filtered.

I know I shouldn't be looking at these sites when I should be working, but bearing in mind I have NO jobs on today...
Bloody corporate policy...:rant:

Probably. My permanent match is a small white plastic key-ring type that uses Zippo fuel. The striker on the side is rather worn...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE