Just Got My Permission!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
ok, had a walk around my, ahem, wood this morning. i woke early so i thought i'd use the opportunity to let the wife sleep on and nip out to do a bit of a recce.
permission 001.jpg
this is the approach on the hike in
permission 006.jpg
getting closer...
permission 004.jpg
gateway to the wood
permission 014.jpg
permission 012.jpg
the path in
permission 009.jpgpermission 010.jpgpermission 011.jpgpermission 016.jpg
potential pitches...
permission 013.jpg
the best pitch i reckon. the wood has a path that runs through the centre but either side is very much left overgrown. it means that there are only 3 or 4 decent pitches. this last one has ivy on the floor rather than bramble and has 2 trees perfect for hammocking. while i was in there i saw a couple of foxes and a pheasant, no bunnies but it was a bit late in the morning. anyways, walked through it twice and arrived home in time to put a cup of tea on the bedside table and wake her up with a kiss on the cheek. :cool: everyones a winner :D

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
tomorrow is the night i take my permissions cherry :) gonna hammock with my new whoopie slings and mozzie net mod, see how they go. i've been busting to get out there and tomorrow is the first opportunity. only going to have an hour or so of daylight to gather firewood and set camp but its all good. i'll let you know how i get on :)

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
well what a cock up! wasn't off to a good start as catherine, my wife decided to cook herself dinner at about the time i was hoping to leave, so i patiently waited, only occasionally looking at my watch, until she had finished and then we were off. once i hiked to the wood i was shocked by how much the brash and undergrowth had grown in the last month. i managed to find the pitch i scouted out but only just, really overgrown and barely recognisable. so, off with my pack and out with my hatchet to try and clear some room. my ortlieb was strapped on the top of the pack, flopped forward and got punctured in 3 places:banghead: and whats worse is it was in a line down the length of it, top, middle and bottom. so i couldn't even hang it to keep some of of the water. 4l of water gone in a couple of minutes. at this point, in a bit a huff i decided to call the wife to get a lift back. realistically i need a good couple of hours to clear a pitch and i had 30 mins of light and no water. so, gutted as i am i will be going back with more time to clear myself a couple of pitches i can alternate, with a freshly patched ortlieb, and a bit less of a grump on :)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
In the words of Nelson Muntz, Ha Ha! Only kidding fella, I would have been gutted! Shame about the Ortlieb, hopefully you can fix it as they're great. It'll all be worth it when you get back in time to sort your pitch properly and enjoy the fruits of your labour mate...

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
smart ar*e :)

in the big scheme of things its a blip on a pretty rosy horizon. i'm off on holiday friday for a week to menorca, so i can't really complain. it's all about perspective my canadian friend. the woods'll still be here when i get back. would have been nice to be swinging in my hammock right about now tho...

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
all the work'll be done with my existing sharps collection ged :) already got too many. a parang would be handy tho. really handy. thanks for setting my mind off :rolleyes: as i type i'm sure i'm sub-conciously justifying a new purchase to myself.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
cheers rob, that might be a goer. i've got to speak to the landlord to clarify that he's happy for me to clear a couple of pitches. i'll be sorting it wheni get back off me hols :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Simon,

If its too far to hump a brush cutter, I have all manner of brush clearing blades including scythes, grass hooks and bramble cutters (the absolute best tool in my book). You can have a lend of what you need. Machetes are also available!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE