Just For Fun Smells...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
A mention of smells came up on another thread, and me opening my tinderbox today, for the first time in months!

The smell of fatwood, made i smile.

So name your most loved and most hated smells...Oh and sometimes why?

Ivan...

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I can't smell. I remember smells from when I was a kid. Coffee. That old dirty pillow. That distinctive smell when you stick your head in a washing machine.
That has to have been my favorite.

But nowadays, nothing, while my sense of taste is working fine. My mother thinks it's due to salt nose spray I used to use when I was little and had a cold.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
I have a somewhat limited sense of smell - a good dose of chlorine when I was sixteen. So, I'll count chlorine as my least fave.

Likes are curry and vanilla.

Cheers,
Leif

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmm smells are really evocative, depends, love coming into a house on a driech day and smelling Scotch broth, and if there's bread on the go too!
The smell of my good ladies hair, vanilla, cloves and orange at Christmas, when I used to put the honey in the spinner out in the old barn, felling Douglas fir, smell of my dog when he was all warm, shoe polish, ironing.

Don't like off milk, celery, burning teeth (dentist drill).

Good thread Ivan.

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
Wet labrador and my wife's perfume , fresh bread and coffee, woodsmoke on a dying fire and that first autumnal smell

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Great so far lads, "dentist drill,teeth" ooh made me cringe! Had forgotten all about that!

My dad used to grow geraniums, and when i had to water them in the summer, used to open that greenhouse door, ooh! Awful, used to give me a headache aswell.

Some really good, pleasant ones so far too.

Ivan...

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Heavenly smells;

The first real frost in autumn.
Birch smoke- takes me back to the arctic.
2-stroke petrol.
Impending snow. Yes, it has a tangible smell.
Oily brass lathe turnings.
Freshly opened coffee.

Rank whiffs;
Vinegar.
The Mars factory in Slough.
Farting in my drysuit in my kayak.
Week old vapour barrier socks.
A creosoted timber manufacturers I used to drive past in Boston.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
An ex of mine loved the smell of petrol. I mean she err...loved it...if you know what I mean.
th

I may have occasionally been guilty of dabbing a bit behind my ears after arriving home on the bike.

I hate the smell of green vegetables cooking. Reminds me of my dad.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Bad smells:

Air freshener, who came up with that God awful idea?
Lynx deoderant,
Rabbit innards,
Smoke when I'm eating,
Food when I'm smoking,
Pete's vapour barrier socks ;)

Nice smells,

The dog smells quite pleasant most of the time,
Gemma's pillow,
Fresh bread,
3 in 1 oil,
Tobacco before it's lit.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's a combination one this one but that ozone seaweed smell coupled with a BBQ with mackerel cooking on it... there's also that faint crisping crackle noise from the fish and coals... just reminds me of being on the beech at Ardnamurchan, lazing on coral white sand.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I love;
the smell of woodsmoke. Brings back memories from my childhood and earlier vacations to Ireland, sweden, Finland and Norway. Memories of days growing colder after summer and cosy times coming...
the smell of rain after hot and dry days...
the smell of well kept and maintained, but old things.... than my grandparents on my father's side are near..
the smell of the first frost in the sky, the smell of the forest in autumn, the smell of a meadow on a hot summerday, but also that sweet, faint odour of approaching spring

I detest;
cigarettesmoke and exhaustfumes
heavy perfume
oilbased fuels and cleaners
decay (of flesh)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The smell of my old Uncle Talbots toll house: - He was a cabinet maker and the smell of exotic woods, polishes and pipe smoke just always made me want to be quiet and sit and enjoy the time there... can feel the pulse rate go down just thinking of it.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
In the morning: Fresh baked bread, freshly ground coffee.

Any time: Burning chaga, fresh cut grass, wood smoke (especially apple wood), the smell in a woodworking shop (mix of oil and fresh cut wood).

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Castrol R as something sporty zooms past. Oregano takes me back to wild walks in Greece. Burning cramp balls which is an acquired like (hated at first). Evo stik from back in the kitchen formica days. And some others which are not for a family forum :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
An ex of mine loved the smell of petrol. I mean she err...loved it...if you know what I mean.
th

I may have occasionally been guilty of dabbing a bit behind my ears after arriving home on the bike.

I hate the smell of green vegetables cooking. Reminds me of my dad.

Thats really wierd, i had an old girlfriend just the same, hope her initials are not A.M.? She would get off the bike or out of the car when refuelling in the petrol station, it really did turn her on, how odd!

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
One smell that will never ever leave me, we had to house clear a kennels that went bust, walked in a shed to pick up a freezer, it was too heavy and locked, bust the lock off, lifted the lid, the waft of 6 month old tripe (in it's raw state) in a freezer that had been switched off! Made me urge from my socks and pass out!

Also, as a kid taking the lid off an ammonia bottle and having a good sniff! Shudders, thinking about it.

My next will be nice smells i promise.

Ivan...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE