Just bought this army stove

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Listen to Rik_uk3 he knows what he's talking about.

But I did notice that this stove didn't seem to have its instruction plate Richard. :)

Yes, the No.2 does (only) run on petrol, one of my favourites as I said (and mine still has its instruction plate:)) but I wouldn't try petrol in the No.12 unless I had some of those fireproof undies that the Formula 1 guys wear. :campfire:

Again, being perfectly honest, the No.12 is the better stove and paraffin is a better fuel. The best, I'd say, for camp cooking.

I cooked dinner on an Optimus No. 8 this evening. While the wife's away, the... :)

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf4255.jpg

Welcome to Stovoholics Anonymous!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I'm not a fan of petrol for some of the reasons stated, but like you say yourself, it's good as a degreaser, you ain't gotta light it.

This being a deisel/parraffin only stove, is it set with a fearsome preheater ?

Edit:

the best parraffin fuel I have ever found is lamp oil. Highly refined additive free. From my local bargain shop.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm not a fan of petrol for some of the reasons stated, but like you say yourself, it's good as a degreaser, you ain't gotta light it.

Edit:

the best parraffin fuel I have ever found is lamp oil. Highly refined additive free. From my local bargain shop.

Good size preheater dish on these stoves.

I bought lamp oil, it clogged up a Tilley lamp in no time, I suspect there are addatives in it, certainly the stuff I got. Fine in wick lamps but I can't recommend it for pressure lanterns or stoves based on this experience.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Good size preheater dish on these stoves.

I bought lamp oil, it clogged up a Tilley lamp in no time, I suspect there are addatives in it, certainly the stuff I got. Fine in wick lamps but I can't recommend it for pressure lanterns or stoves based on this experience.

you just gotta go for the highly refined stuff, like barbecue lighter fluid but pure,,,, and expensive !

As for the cloging problem 10% white spirit or meths, alot of people do a mix !

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
you just gotta go for the highly refined stuff, like barbecue lighter fluid but pure,,,, and expensive !

Why?

Regular paraffin burns cleanly and economically without the need to add to the expense and hassle by adding things to stop it clogging.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Why?

Regular paraffin burns cleanly and economically without the need to add to the expense and hassle by adding things to stop it clogging.

nah, not adding things to lamp oil,but to parraffin diesil, and acetone to vegetale fat. The dye in fuel cloggs things, even meths leaves a residue because of this. Given enough time, I'm sure the scent added to gas will eventually clog a preheater tube ! But that may take a while

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

I buy Wilko BBQ fluid in the end of season sales so generally pay around 25p a litre, a friend works there and tells me when its being reduced :)

I found no advantage in lamp oil to be honest, as said it clogged up a Tilley (two vaporiser tubes actually) and I don't dilute/mix fuel at all, no point to be honest and so long as you keep your wicks trimmed you'll have no problems using paraffin in lanterns or heaters.

Back OT, John look out for
http://www.armysales.co.uk/field-catering-cooking-utensils/grade-a-pan-set-for-no2-no12-stoves

They fit the 12 like a glove, Stainless Steel construction and the lid makes a good frying pan

DSCF4131640x480.jpg

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I buy Wilko BBQ fluid in the end of season sales so generally pay around 25p a litre, a friend works there and tells me when its being reduced :)

I found no advantage in lamp oil to be honest, as said it clogged up a Tilley (two vaporiser tubes actually) and I don't dilute/mix fuel at all, no point to be honest and so long as you keep your wicks trimmed you'll have no problems using paraffin in lanterns or heaters.

Back OT, John look out for
http://www.armysales.co.uk/field-catering-cooking-utensils/grade-a-pan-set-for-no2-no12-stoves

They fit the 12 like a glove, Stainless Steel construction and the lid makes a good frying pan

DSCF4131640x480.jpg
Rik your a bad man. Looks like they were designed for the stove.
I have seen the pans before but noticed they twist as soon as they get warm, especially the shallow top one.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Edit:

Actually "lamp oils" usually DO have additives. Particulary those which give a "nice" scent for burning in lamps indoors.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Twist? Nope not that I've noticed certainly over a stove, they are a good gauge of SS. They used to be about a fiver a time but these days seem to fetch more, that said £15 for a SS pan set that size is not bad really. The six pint pot off the 'Bulldog' billy cans work well as do Eagle kettles :cool:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Those pan sets are great. Roasted a chicken really well with one of those in a mk 2 army cooker (although you need to rig up A trivet to stop it burning on the bAse

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Those pan sets are great. Roasted a chicken really well with one of those in a mk 2 army cooker (although you need to rig up A trivet to stop it burning on the bAse

They make a great little oven, pop a small cake trivet in the bottom and pop onto the stove on low heat. The metal will stand it. I've got some pictures somewhere I'll dig out and post up.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Have you dealt with the company in the link you gave me Rik.
If you can use them as a mini oven I might get some.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE