Just bought this army stove

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Ged, thanks for that is been a huge help. I'm going out tomorrow to buy some fresh paraffin as mine is knocking on now.
There is a built in pricker needle that can be seen when the valve is fully opened. I'm not entirely sure that its building enough pressure as when I open the relief valve the hiss is almost inaudible.

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Ged, thanks for that is been a huge help. I'm going out tomorrow to buy some fresh paraffin as mine is knocking on now.
There is a built in pricier needle that can be seen when the valve is fully opened. I'm not entirely sure that its building enough pressure as when I open the relief valve the hiss is almost inaudible.

Your paraffin is almost certainly fine, it doesn't go 'off' really. It does sometimes get moisure in it but that sinks to the bottom and you can get rid of it easily. If you put a little bit of IPA in the fuel it will take up small amounts of moisture and exhaust it through the burner. Some equipment might have mild steel parts e.g. fuel tanks and it can be a good idea to do that routinely to prevent corrosion, but if it's stainless it isn't so much of a worry. Th most important thing is to make sure the fuel is clean. The small jets are easilt blocked by tiny bits of debris. Give the tank a good wash out with clean fuel if it's got bits of crud in it.

When the tank is up to pressure I would expect a very audible hiss on letting it down but you might just have a quiet one. :)

There are three or four places where it might leak but it's mostly fairly agricultural so it should be easy to fix. One likely issue with these old stoves is hardened seals. They're mostly pretty easy to make, but the non-return valve seal is tiny so that might be a challenge. You might be able to get a new one from e.g. Base Camp, but I had a quick look just now and I couldn't see spares for these stoves listed. Best send them an email. I gather that the original manufacturer hasn't been very forthcoming with spares in the past but things might have changed. Don't do anything you're not completely comfortable with, you can easily damage fiddly little parts and you want the seals to work when you've finished.

One way to find leaks is to pump it up, put it in a bath of water and look for bubbles. Obviously not when it's hot. :) It won't be damaged. Can't necessarily say the same for the bath. You might want to make sure there's no water in the pump body afterwards.

If you don't fancy that then get some soapy water in a squeezy bottle and squirt it around, see if you can find any bubbles that way.

Another way is to see if the stove burns OK. It should give you quite an impressive roar and it shouldn't need extra pumps more than about every quarter to half an hour. It will need extra top-up pumps more frequently if that's the right word when the tank is nearly full of fuel because you get more pressure with less air when it's full.

You could take it to someone who's familiar with it, there are quite a few people around who know and love these stoves.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I did a water tank test and nothing appears out of place there. I have it soaking in some paraffin overnight and will drain tomorrow. The seals I can see look ok but will search out a new set to be sure. Once I have drained it i will refill and try lighting it again.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ged, there are lighting instructions on the stove windshield mate.

As said, your paraffin will more than likely be fine, I've used some several decades old. Now you've drained the tank get it lit and let it run. As for pressure you need to give plenty of pumps, you can't harm the stove pumping it.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Ged, there are lighting instructions on the stove windshield mate.

As said, your paraffin will more than likely be fine, I've used some several decades old. Now you've drained the tank get it lit and let it run. As for pressure you need to give plenty of pumps, you can't harm the stove pumping it.

no instructions on the windshield on this one.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Got some thanks Steve from the Classic Camp Stove site.
Lighting is pretty much as I thought it was.
Gonna give the burner and surrounding area a blast with carb cleaner to try and decoke it a little.
Fresh fuel will be put in later and fired up.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
petrol has additives to keep the fuel lines clean, ethanol at 2-5%, and also petrol spirit is more solvent like anyway. You could try adding acetone(nail varnish remover), any fuel line cleaner, or if the stove will run on meths, try soaking it in that.
One of the reasons I like running a stove like that on parraffin rather than petrol like fuels, is that coleman fuel stained the paint on the fuel bottles, where as parraffinoids didn't. Viz a vi

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
petrol has additives to keep the fuel lines clean, ethanol at 2-5%, and also petrol spirit is more solvent like anyway. You could try adding acetone(nail varnish remover), any fuel line cleaner, or if the stove will run on meths, try soaking it in that.
One of the reasons I like running a stove like that on parraffin rather than petrol like fuels, is that coleman fuel stained the paint on the fuel bottles, where as parraffinoids didn't. Viz a vi

DON'T EVEN CONTEMPLATE RUNNING PETROL ON THIS STOVE, its not designed for it and you go and open the pressure valve on the side if the stove is lit and you could get a really nice jet of flame shooting out from the ignited vapour.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Only petrol that has touched this stove was to degrease the inside of the case then left 24 hours to evaporate.
Thanks gents for the advice given, I had it burning for around an hour yesterday on clean paraffin and still not 100% but at least its working. Just needs a little more fettling and will be a great car camping/cold weather stove.

Think I might have started down the slippery slope of pressure stoves. Now trying to get an old Svea and a 111.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good man, I'd fill the tank and let it run as you may well be suprised how this improves performance and cleans out any gunk in the pipes.

Svea (8/123?) wonderful little stoves but the bog standard paraffin only 111 roarer burner is perhaps my favourite stove after the humble Trangia...they just perform so well all the time. I put one out in the garden a few years ago, bit of a distruction test in a way in that I left the lid open and the stove exposed to the elements and light it every few months and it still lights first time every time. In fact I sometimes take that stove on trips with me and it just bloody works so well.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
DON'T EVEN CONTEMPLATE RUNNING PETROL ON THIS STOVE, its not designed for it and you go and open the pressure valve on the side if the stove is lit and you could get a really nice jet of flame shooting out from the ignited vapour.

Hi Rik. I thought the Mk 12 would work with petrol? The Mk 2 only runs on petrol, and I thought the Mk 12 could as well?

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'd always thought of the No.12 as a paraffin/diesel only stove but having had a re-think, you probably could run it on petrol. Being able to shut it off at the burner makes it no different to many other petrol stoves. The important thing to remember would be to ALWAYS shut it off at the burner BEFORE relieving the tank.pressure.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
petrol has additives to keep the fuel lines clean, ethanol at 2-5%....

Don't know about there but over here ethanol isn't an additive as such. It's a bio-fuel substitute for gasoline. It can be used alone or added to gasoline (a mix of up to 20% is common)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I wouldn't risk running it on petrol after seeing some others let go with spectacular results. If its not designed for it I won't try it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi Rik. I thought the Mk 12 would work with petrol? The Mk 2 only runs on petrol, and I thought the Mk 12 could as well?

:rant:, the No2 is a different beast so leave the 12 as it is and run paraffin and if you have nowt else diesel, ignore posts saying it might or could its just not worth messing around with petrol/naptha...you want to burn that buy a stove designed for it, get a Coleman et al.

Its not good advice to suggest running fuel a stove is not designed to run on out on an open forum like this as sod's law says some Darwin candidate will have a go and come to grief.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE