Just bought this army stove

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Can anyone tell me if it looks complete or is anything missing.
Also does anyone service these stoves.
09AC6B3F-A634-49F1-BCA3-CCD37431E2A1-3524-0000030475C2F87E_zps13d8813d.jpg

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Im looking to convert it to Parafin. at the moment its diesel powered but dirty and smells bad.

All you have to do to convert it to paraffin is put paraffin in it. You could take it apart and rinse all the soot & residual diesel off it with paraffin but running a couple of tanks through it would get it burning clean again. The jet for diesel is the same as paraffin.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Thanks for that Ian, i will have a look at stripping and cleaning it as its a sorry mess at the mo.
also i havent forgotton about the tarp idea just been real busy

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
but do NOT poke anything into the jet unless it is the correct size pricker.

Oh no, done that once before and learnt the hard way.
It appears the problem is its not holding pressure so starting to hunt down where its leaking from.
First thing I have noticed is no O ring under the pump cap.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Oh no, done that once before and learnt the hard way.
It appears the problem is its not holding pressure so starting to hunt down where its leaking from.
First thing I have noticed is no O ring under the pump cap.

The O ring can sometimes be rescued by smearing with petroleum jelly. Obviously there needs to be one there first! eBay will locate one for you, or try www.base-camp.co.uk

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Does anyone know the actual make and model of this stove? I don't think I've seen one quite like it before? Is it specifically a military one?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Does anyone know the actual make and model of this stove? I don't think I've seen one quite like it before? Is it specifically a military one?

It's a British Army Nos 12 stove.

I've just got one recently and I'm really impressed with it. All Stainless Steel construction to be squaddie proof so it weighs a fair bit.

The only problem I had with mine was the pump wasn't working but I pulled it out, dampened the leather cup washer with some paraffin and splayed the washer out a tad and it was back in business :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
All you have to do to convert it to paraffin is put paraffin in it. You could take it apart and rinse all the soot & residual diesel off it with paraffin but running a couple of tanks through it would get it burning clean again. The jet for diesel is the same as paraffin.

yep. that's one of the advantages of stoves of this type. they'll burn diesel, parafin, or jet fuel. Makes logistics easier for deployment. It's also one of the reasons we switched to all diesel engines on ground vehicles and A.G.E. in the Air force.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No12, very loud in use, superb build quality, prefers paraffin to diesel, simmers well, takes bog standard internal Optimus cleaner needle and pump washers, well worth having and I run two myself. Before you do anything else light it up and burn it for a couple of hours. Burn clean fuel before you strip as this often overcomes many real or perceived problems.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Just emptied the diesel and filled with some paraffin pressurized it and opened the valve.
Gonna leave this over night to see if it cleans the diesel out then change the paraffin and try lighting it.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The burner on all these stoves needs to be heated before it will burn with a nice clean blue flame. They generally have a little cup at the base of the burner to hold a bit of fuel that you can light to pre-heat it before turning on the stove fuel tap.

I recommend using meths in the little cup to pre-heat it. Meths burns a lot cleaner than trying to use the stove's own fuel, which will need a wick or a blowtorch to light anyway. You don't need much meths, something like 5ml to pre-heat any stove.

Depressurize the stove by opening the filler or bleed valve. Check that the internal cleaning needle is working OK if it has one, by opening the fuel valve fully. If it's there you should just be able to see it poke out of the jet. If it hasn't got one don't worry, it's just a convenience. You can use a little bit of stiff wire on a stick called a pricker. You need the right pricker, the jets for diesel and paraffin diesel are smaller diameter than those for petrol and meths. Jet sizes are in the region of 0.25 to .0.5 mm. There's loads of info on line about this stuff and the stovesonline site is a National Treasure.

Assuming all the leaks and things have generally been sorted, take the stove OUTSIDE, SOMEWHERE WELL AWAY FROM flammable materials, small children and pets. Be aware that a meths flame can be hard to see, especially in bright light. It's not a bad idea to have a fire blanket or extinguisher handy, and a bucket of water. Do not be tempted to use these stoves indoors or in a tent. You can never completely trust them. Sooner or later they WILL flare up - it only needs a dirty or damaged seal that you didn't notice. Having had this happen to me more than once in fifty years of playing with these stoves, I can promise you that you don't want it to happen in the house.

Close the fuel valve. Fill the stove's tank about two-thirds wiith fuel, never more, Close the filler cap and air bleed valve (if any). Pump it up twenty pumps or so. Fill the spirit cup right up with meths and pour a bit on the burner for luck. I usually use an old contact lens bottle for the meths, it lets you squirt a fine jet of meths wherever you want. Stopper the meths bottle and put it somewhere safe. Light the meths in the burner cup (a blue-flame lighter is good, especially if it's a long one) and stand back. When the meths has nearly burned away (you will be able to see it boiling in the cup, but watch your eyebrows!) open the stove valve slowly and you'll immediately get a nice roaring blue flame which will have the burner parts glowing red in no time. When you get the hang of it this will bring a little smile to your face everty time you do it.

When you turn the fuel valve right off the flame can burn like a candle for a few seconds, whic isn[t a good thing as it creates soot which can clog the jet. When you stop the stove, turn it down low and then blow the flame out before turning it right off. This prevents soot from forming.

As has rightly been pointed out, these are fantastic stoves. I prefer my No2 just for the sake of getting it for practically nothing in a flea market, but in truth it isn't really as good as the No 12 - it needs a lot more tending to do any proper cooking with a low flame.

If you want to bring the stove to a Derbyshire Group meet we can check it over and cook something on it. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE