Just booked myself on a DSC1 course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Been meaning to do it for ages, just not got round to it. Going with BASC in Oxford.

Already go the manual which I need to read in alot more detail, but is there anything else I need to worry about before it starts? Going to be using my Accuracy International AE .308 for the shooting part....

The lady at BASC did ask me whether I'd done any stalking before (which I haven't, not deer anyway), I thought the course was for beginners as well as those wanting to get a certificate?

Cheers

Toby

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Did mine a while ago
I think I got the disc from BDS IIRC
That's who I did the course with.

Cheers

Mark

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
If you have trouble finding Deer Quest CD let me know and I'll try and find my copy.

DSC1 is a super course and well worthwhile even for those who do not shoot. You learn a lot of practical deer biology.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
The wife and I did our DSC's and passed - after several days of swotting up from the manual. We had no knowledge of deer, firearms or anything else but we managed to all do ok!

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
That's encouraging to hear! I'm fully acquainted with firearms, but deer recognition and after shot care are bits I'm not that familiar with. I've been swotting up myself on the two manuals I've got, need some more cramming though! It's always the same with me and exams, start to get a little nervous!

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
That's encouraging to hear! I'm fully acquainted with firearms, but deer recognition and after shot care are bits I'm not that familiar with. I've been swotting up myself on the two manuals I've got, need some more cramming though! It's always the same with me and exams, start to get a little nervous!

Hi Toby for the deer recognition just google loads of pics to help you out,from front and rear.

Bernie

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Forgive me if I seem a bit dumb but what is DSC1?

From the comments I'd guess it's some form of gamekeeper or deer management course? A surprise for me as I didn't know there was such a qualification!

I live close to Margam Park (south Wales) which has a strong deer population and would love to learn more. Does anyone know if there is a course around here?

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Forgive me if I seem a bit dumb but what is DSC1?

From the comments I'd guess it's some form of gamekeeper or deer management course? A surprise for me as I didn't know there was such a qualification!

I live close to Margam Park (south Wales) which has a strong deer population and would love to learn more. Does anyone know if there is a course around here?

Deer stalking certificate level 1, a must now on forestry land, also a level 2 is needed or working towards it,just another rip off.

Bernie

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
All done!

Really good course, passed the safety and shooting, got to wait a month before getting the theory results, but feeling confident!

Just need to get some permissions sorted out next and plead with the firearms officer for leneancy on the FAC (i.e. open ticket if poss...)

It's amazing how much you can learn in 4 days.

Did it with BASC at Stonor Park, Oxford. Fantastic site, loads of fallow. Looking forward to my first stalk...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE