Just add water?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Do any of you know any good 'Just Add Water' mixes to take outdoors?

I was looking for a just add water muffin mix but it seems we don't have any in the UK! The main company that sells all the other just add water baking mixes seem to have the same stuff here as in the US minus the muffin mix which is a little strange.
Would love to try muffin mix in a billycan, ive saw it done before in a UScanteen cup.
Does anyone know anything similar?
Would be nice if a few of you could share your easy make meals, im trying to come up with new stuff to take out apart from soup & super noodles.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
instant mash potato.. you can even add gravy powder to pimp it up a little.

you could try making a type of hobo corn pone, corn flour + powdered milk + semalina powder + powdered egg + water.. cooked in a skillet or cooking pan of some kind.

also.. powdered egg and powdered milk are great for outdoor cooking, you could add them to your flour before you leave so when it's cooking time all you need to do is add water and cook.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lot of folks mix their own and bag it before they go :)
Makes life easy, and you know the portion sizes too.
I usually mix up the dry stuff for scones, cheese scones, tattie scones, herby doughballs, and a tomato, onion and herb bannock mix that makes great pizza base or bannock for soup or stew.
I don't do them too far in advance because I use 'real' fat, i.e. butter and cheese, and they can go foosty if left in mixes.
Commercial ones use hydrogenated fats and the like.

cheers,
Toddy

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I agree with toddy.
Making up your own is easy, and you know what's in it as regards to unhealthy food in shop bought stuff.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Orgran falafel mix. Excellent fried as small veggie burgers. Very filling too. Nicknamed toxic waste in my family, because of the bilious yellow-green colour it goes, but once fried it is really nice.

I'm not a vegetarian, I just happen to like this.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
instant mash potato.. you can even add gravy powder to pimp it up a little.

you could try making a type of hobo corn pone, corn flour + powdered milk + semalina powder + powdered egg + water.. cooked in a skillet or cooking pan of some kind.

also.. powdered egg and powdered milk are great for outdoor cooking, you could add them to your flour before you leave so when it's cooking time all you need to do is add water and cook.

Thanks, never used powdered egg before so will have to give that a try. I would use real eggs but the chances of them breaking while stores in a rucksack is too high :rolleyes:

Yes! this is what i was after. No one sells it around here but we have everything except a tesco. Shall try tesco express! thanks.

Orgran falafel mix. Excellent fried as small veggie burgers. Very filling too. Nicknamed toxic waste in my family, because of the bilious yellow-green colour it goes, but once fried it is really nice.

I'm not a vegetarian, I just happen to like this.

Oh, not familiar even with falafel but thats a smart idea turning it into a burger, might have to give that a go. Thanks.

ToddY & Hugo, thanks! Have saw people do this before and seems like a smart idea, when people start adding egg and such into the mix tho i would get worried, wont egg dry up/soak into a dry mix?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What do you need egg for ?
There's none in tattie scones, or doughballs or bannock or pizza base, and if you want it in scones just use the egg replacer powder that is sold for vegetarian recipes :)

If you really want eggs, take them in one of the wee rigid egg boxes; they're surprisingly sound.

cheers,
Toddy

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Put your flour in a tupperware box. Bury the eggs in the flour. Almost unbreakable.

Or wrap your bacon rashers round them, or put them in with your porridge oats; with any similar dry goods. If you put them in those little grip-seal parts bags, if they do get broken, they are still contained. Alternatively, break half a dozen egs into a nalgene bottle and carry them that way - they'll be good for a day or two, possibly a bit longer.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What do you need egg for ?...

For the Corn Pone recipe Samon gave. Eggs are in almost all forms of cornbread (Cornbread, corn pones, johnny cakes, hoe cakes, hush puppies, etc.) whether it's made from corn flour (rarely) or corn meal (usually)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
For the Corn Pone recipe Samon gave. Eggs are in almost all forms of cornbread (Cornbread, corn pones, johnny cakes, hoe cakes, hush puppies, etc.) whether it's made from corn flour (rarely) or corn meal (usually)

haha the corn meal is a bugger to get though! couldn't find it in any of the local super markets..

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ooh! Did not know that, thanks dudes!

The pone is a good easy recipe at home too, very nice!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
tesco sell it as cornmeal in among the 'foreign' foods section. It comes in four grades, and either yellow or white.

cheers,
Toddy

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I managed to get the polenta corn meal today, stupid co op has very limited stock.

anothre just add water food.. custard powder! haha nothing fancy but a good source of sugar...

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
.. custard powder! haha nothing fancy but a good source of sugar...

Add a cake bar or 2 and make it fancy!
t2801.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE