just a quick one...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
I learnt to use an axe on a nicely sawn chopping block, be it either waste height, or ankle height (for kneeling).
My question is; what should I use as a 'bearing block' to chop against out and about. As I am yet to find any conveniently fallen trees with a brilliant 90o angle to cut against.
i.e. an exposed tree root?? a fallen branch?? etcetc

thanks alot,
Dan.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
A fallen tree branch works well for both splitting & chopping, although it will be easier on the back if you kneel.

[video=youtube;Kn-cyXPAjzg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn-cyXPAjzg[/video]

Kind regards
Mick

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Improvise :)

I use whatever is available. If nothing, then I just stand up the long branch, hold with one hand and chop downwards. Not as safe but if you have good control it will be OK.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Improvise :)

I use whatever is available. If nothing, then I just stand up the long branch, hold with one hand and chop downwards. Not as safe but if you have good control it will be OK.

*winces*

Each to their own, but I find that any stable platform that won't damage your axe does the job does the job. Depending on the length of wood you are splitting, you can get away with using flat rocks - but again that's my own cheating method as you must be splitting long logs with the knowledge that your strike won't go all the way through. The best improvised item I often find is the flattest part of a fallen tree trunk.

I would probably say that if you're a beginner then denting your axe would be preferable to loosing a digit or two...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE