Just a few quick sheath making questions...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Ok so Im getting into leather working at the moment and there are a few things Im unsure about in the field of sheath making.

I made a sheath previously without sufficient tools or knowledge and it was pretty cr*p. Im going to have another bash at it again and most of the problems experienced previously have been straightened out - apart from a few that have been reaaaaally annoying me ever since. I can't have them haunting me anymore in my sleep.

So yeah I'l cut to the chase - Im buidling a sheath for an F1 btw, in case that may be of importance for advice.

Right - How thick should a welt be? The last one I did was far too large and it slacked the sheath's hold on the handle and just generally looked awful. I had a peek at the origional 'dangle' sheath that came with it and the welt is of 2 layers and approx' 9mm thick. Is this sufficient or a tad too small?

Secondly - How do you wax treat the sheath afterwards? I ran an experiment on my cr*ppy sheath and found melting the wax in a pan and dunking the sheath in fully and then putting it in the oven gave good results. However it made such a mess! And my mum went nuts!

Suggestions greatly appreciated,

Sharp.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
The welt should be the same thickness as the blade of the knife. If it's any bigger the knife will be a loose fit in the finished sheath, thinner and the sheath will have to bulge around the blade which can lead to the edge hitting the leather and cutting through before long. I tend to use a single piece of leather for the welt, starting with a piece at least as thick as the blade and sanding it to the correct thickness if I don't have any that is just right to start with.

Waxing can be done with a hair dryer if your mum has banned you from using the oven ;) You can heat the sheath with the hair dryer and melt the wax in that way. Don't let it get too hot in any one place but keep the hair dryer (or the sheath) moving to and fro as you work. if you are already in the manure for messing up the oven it might be best to buy your own hairdryer for this job as you'll probably manage to get it pretty waxy. Tesco's sell there own Value hair dryers for about £6 and they seem to do the job pretty well so it's not too expensive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE