Just a few pictures taken recently

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've been using my Olympus 550UZ quite a bit lately, I just thought I'd share a few of my favourite recent pictures;
This was in the snow the other day, I tried faffing with settings but ended up on auto for most of them:

PC040060copysizedroadin1.jpg

This one looks like it's been shopped but in fact the misty effect was caused when I tried to blow snow off the lens:rolleyes:
PC040109copysizedfoggy1.jpg

This is just the road in to Chopwell Wood
PC040077copysizedroadin3.jpg

then some experimental night pictures:

PC090032copysizedsunsethouse.jpg

I tried taking a few of the moon and managed one or two half decent ones:
PC090111copysizedmoon.jpg

this was a cropped one;
PC090110copyresizedforpbuck.jpg

and one I tried but failed;:D
PC090107copyresize4pbuckaswell.jpg

The 550UZ was always a compromise, I could have had a Canon 400d (I think that's the one?) but decided against it, as I need light weight and simple. The prospect of lugging extra lenses and stuff around wasn't really appealing for what I needed to photograph.

The 550 has a lot of features that I'm only now starting to learn about, including RAW etc. but I think the next step for me, is a beanbag and tripod:D
comments/advice always welcome;)
all the best
Steve

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Nice pictures! Especially like the night picture with the house!

Snow!!! :) Don't expect any proper winter around here... :(

Cheers,
Lasse

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nice shots.

For the snow shots, I don't know what software you have available, but a quick curves adjustment would brighten the brightest tones a touch and really make them pop.

I've taken the liberty of doing a quick example for you here.

I'll take it down if you want because it is your picture after all.

Gailainne

Life Member
Very cool pics mate, I especially like the cropped moon shot and the snow curved path shot, Wayland what programme did you use to tweak it ? the difference is small but very profound.

I must admit I thought I could take a photo, (composition) before joining this place...now I know better.

Every days a learning day.

Regards

Stephen

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Done in Photoshop but anything with a curves adjustment would do the same.

I adjusted the white point to raise the highlights to just under full white and then raised the curve in the sub highlight area and depressed the curve in the shadow areas which increased the contrast though the mid tones.

It's usually referred to as an "S curve" and it imitates the way film usually records tonal information.

As you say, it's not drastic but it just gives a shot a bit more punch.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Take it down? Certainly not!:D
No, I'd much rather have examples of how things can look, that way everyone learns;)
Thanks for the advice and kind comments, I've only got photoshop elements (2 I think:bluThinki )
I'll have to have a bit of a play about and see what I can do:cool:

Thanks again:)
best wishes
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE