Just a few days of snow and the odd walk. (Lots of pictures)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We've had a bit of snow these last few days, started quite well;
P1200025.jpg

P1200033.jpg

The kids seemed to have plenty of energy to spare;
P1220081-Copy.jpg

Yes that is a nine foot snowman on the lawn there.

and the more adventurous 4x4 owners were having a ball;
P1200031.jpg

You cant beat a narrow, steep winding hill in 2 feet of drifted snow

I've had no trouble at all getting in and out of the estate,in my Fiesta, going backwards and forwards to work, due to the autosocks I'd bought a couple of years back.
Mind you, without the socks, the car is dangerous, by far the worst car I've ever owned, for traveling in the snow.

then we got a bit more snow, taking it to about 18 inches or so on the estate;
P1210071.jpg

P1210038.jpg

I had a parcel to post off and I decided that rather than drive along to the post office, I'd walk it, as there would be nowhere to park anyway, so off we went;
P1210066.jpg

P1210062.jpg

once you get onto the main road, its fine, apart from the fact that there are dozens of lazy, dead heads who live on estates ( same as I do!) who don't have the brains to invest in either snow tyres, autosocks or indeed a 4x4 to get them onto the main road and think its just fine and dandy to park up on the side of the road, restricting both traffic and snow clearance vehicles. ( Yes it really does pixx me off!!!;))

P1210058.jpg

okay there are only a couple of vehicles here but you should see it after 4pm!

The buses have done well this time around, this is headed over the top to Chopwell
P1210047.jpg

Up this road which just gets higher and higher
P1210040.jpg

Then goes over the hill and descends into the narrow, winding depths of Chopwell village.

Anyway we came back from the post office and it snowed some more, and I went off for my last night shift of the cycle.

Then next afternoon, we decided to take a walk in chopwell wood;
P1220091.jpg

the steep little hill into the wood wasn't too bad

and the new access path, that keeps you off the road is quite good too
P1220093-Copy.jpg

then you get onto the old "stoney road" that used to be the main road between High Spen and Chopwell;
P1220096.jpg

long since closed off to traffic.
P1220098.jpg

It has to be said that it makes a beautiful walk
P1220100-Copy.jpg

P1220104.jpg

P1220109.jpg

P1220118-Copy.jpg

dropping onto the old railway line
P1220124.jpg

back down into the wood
P1220127.jpg

and away home again
P1220132.jpg

it's back is well and truly broken now, its melting, although there's a bucket load forecast for Friday, then after that a sharp temperature increase, so soggy everything.

anyway, stay safe, warm and dry

cheers

Steve

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
> okay there are only a couple of vehicles here but you should see it after 4pm!

Yep some real numptys out there, had a guy parked up opposite the junction at the top of our street, I persuaded him it would be best if he moved.

Sometimes you dont need chains/socks etc just a bit of common sense, forwards planning and vision, an understanding of what your ESP button does on your car, & some driving ability allowing you to maintain momentum. The two people I drove past this morning who were stuck between my house and the main road in the estate must have been lacking one or all of them.

Nice pics, :cool: wonder how wet Brockers is going to be for us all next weekend. :confused:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Nice pics, now that's some snow :) the photos of the woodland look stunning, it makes you wish you could get out and keep going back. Thanks for putting up the pics

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nice to see a semi-urban walk, just for a change.

On the on-road parking, the main road outside my house is a main bus route, but is now only one vehicle wide, so when buses meet one of them has to reverse, whilst traffic accumulates behind them. Traffic chaos.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
as for esp etc, I've got it on my car but you can't switch it off!

I've got some video of my drive out for night shift the other night, I'll post it up if I get time later.

cheers

Steve

It's a 2WD Nissan Juke t'other half has and the ESP kills the engine power as part of the Traction Control when it detects wheel spin.

If you turn the ESP off, the still car tries to brake the slipping wheel, kind of like an LSD, to allow the power to be fed to the one with traction, but dissables the other features; esential in certain circumstances

What are you driving? Every car I've driven with T.C. fitted (mainly Japanese) has had an overide of some description hidden away.

Go on get your videos up, I love snow driving :cool:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE