Junkshop knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I found a couple of knives in my local Junkshop and although they looked abused, pitted, covered in filth and rather rubbish in themselves, I thought I could see potential in them....
I should have taken some "before " photos but did not think of it...
Once I got the knives home I reshaped the blades tips, straightened out the edges, reground the edges, cleaned up the woodwork and set to sharpening them - resulting in razor edges!
I then gave them a bath in vinegar to "patinate" the blades and polished the woodwork. Unfortunately one had lost part of a rivet so I made a powdered metal and Superglue replacement...
The knives ain't pretty but look usable so I made a couple of sheaths for them - in a "Hi-riser" style but with a brass ring so a dropper can be fitted.
The photos do not do the knives or sheaths justice - all are bright shiny but the flash has given marks and white flecks that do not notice in real life!
P5100003.JPG P5100004.JPG P5100006.JPG P5100007.JPG P5100009.JPG
The Total cost?
Junkshop knives, off-cut leather and bits from the "bits box"

£5.00

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Fantastic!
The top one looks like it was somebody's favourite knife!
Are they kitchen knives? ( Thinnish blade?)

I hound all three local charities shops in Norway. Some amazing finds to be had in charity shops!

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
They look suspiciously like the type of knives my shipmates and I carried as Seamen, 50+ years ago, John. Under the whipping and Turks heads on mine are the same red (Rose Wood?) handles and big brass flat rivets.
Mine are stowed away here at home somewhere, not in a junk shop...:D

Reactions: santaman2000

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The knife with the white metal handle rivets was about another 2" long with a rounded tip ... that looked as if a dog had chewed it.
The yellow metal riveted one had a semi round tip with an eye in it ??? Both are about 2mm thick.
The yellow metal rivet one is made by "Issac Ellis and Sons Sheffield"
Nothing on them in Wikipedia....

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
nice find

I'm always on the look out for a full tang carbon steel paring knife

you used to be able to get an old hickory version but now they only make them half tang

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And another one ... £2 knife (old meat carver, so worn as to look a bit like a hump backed "Carps Tongue" blade plastic "Ivory" handle) and very "tired"!
Reshape, regrind - thank goodness for my cheapo belt and disk grinder - deer-leg bone handle (from a batch given to me by someone off this site) scraps of leather and a buffalo horn spacer from my bits box. Finished with my home made dubbin.
P5120002.JPG P5120003.JPG P5120004.JPG
A bit of fun, but a bit thin in the grip... more roleplay than Bushcraft

ANDGRIN

Jun 4, 2004
Bristol
The knife with the white metal handle rivets was about another 2" long with a rounded tip ... that looked as if a dog had chewed it.
The yellow metal riveted one had a semi round tip with an eye in it ??? Both are about 2mm thick.
The yellow metal rivet one is made by "Issac Ellis and Sons Sheffield"
Nothing on them in Wikipedia....

According to Tweedale’s Directory of Cutlery Maufacturers Isaac Ellis was a knife manufacturer from the 1830s onwards and included his sons in the name by 1860. The firm continued until 1932 when the firms Primus trade mark was acquired by Edwin Blyde.
Hope this is helpful John. I have a collection of old kitchen and butchers knives from Sheffield and use them regularly in preference to more modern knives as they seem to hold a better edge for longer.
Cheers Andy

Reactions: John Fenna

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
P6260003.JPG P6260008.JPG A couple more - one ( the full tang) a totally illegible "utlery England" - carbon steel meat carver, reshaped, reground and given beechwood scales with brass cutlers rivets - the holes were off line on the original fittings so I kept them that way!.
The other - partial rat tail/stick tang "Joseph Rogers and sons" plus other writing that is too degraded to read - carbon steel meat carver re shaped (it was badly worn bent and chipped) reground and rehandled in beechwood.
Both given new leather suits of 3.5mm Veg tan in different styles... total cost for the donor steel ... £7.50 :)

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Wish I had a junkshop like that near me....

Me too

View attachment 54376 View attachment 54377
The other - partial rat tail/stick tang "Joseph Rogers and sons" plus other writing that is too degraded to read - carbon steel meat carver re shaped (it was badly worn bent and chipped) reground and rehandled in beechwood.

The JR&S looks cool - any clues on the other writing? Where is it placed? Fixed blades were rare in modern times

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Me too

The JR&S looks cool - any clues on the other writing? Where is it placed? Fixed blades were rare in modern times
I cannot make it out - but I will bring it to the Moot (if I remember!) so you can see it in the flesh :)
If you are coming that is....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - I had another go at reading the Rodgers blade - highlighting it with crayon first!
Top line - "E" - symbol like a circle with a crowsfoot on top (crown?) - R
Middle Line "...SEPH RODGERS & SONS"
Bottom line "...TLERS TO HIS MAJESTY"
This is the stick tang blade and it looked as if it was a meat carving knife in its first incarnation....
I am assuming that it was some kind of Royal Warrant marking - there are no other markings on the steel - that I can see...
The full tang blade is no more legible than
Top line "CUTLRY"
Bottom line "ENGLAND" in a shallow arc under the top line.
The mark is on the left face of the blade ,not seen in the original photos, centered, about 2" from the scales
Sorry about the picture quality....
The blades look better without the crayon!
P6280001.JPG P6280002.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE