Jungle kit help (Costa Rica)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

akabu

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2006
USA
I would set up a PVC pipe with some needed PSK,ect gear.cheap and some of the Plastic bags are food for critters and fungus.make sure the PVC is for water pipes in case you have to drink/carry it.Add a woven 550 para cord to it to carry.
PS: I saw in one of the Links that Leather Boots in Viet Nam were used .Yes in the beginning I was there and they rotted and the the heels were sucked off by mud!when we received the Jungle Boots oh joy!And they can Handle Salt water,just soak and wash then oil the leather.
Veteran US Marine

Last edited:
B

bertles86

Ideas from all sides chaps, thanks! I'll digest it all over the weekend and see where I am. Boots are my priority, then a pack, then the little bits.

If I can buy through Nomad then I can get 15% charity discount which would be good, so that narrows it down to:

Wellco's @ £60
Altbergs @ £100
Scarpa @ £75

Would the Scarpa's be total cack?

Edit: cheers for pack ideas but DPM/camo completely and utterly out the question! Thanks for the ideas though!

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
I don't know which part of Kent you are in, but I have both the Sabre 75 and 45 with pockets and I will be in the Medway area in the next 10 days or so If you would like me to bring them so you could try them on we could arrange a meet up. Let me know.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
I think johnboy has given you some of the best advice here, perhaps you should re-think your pack choice. Don't be afraid of spending money on your feet. The Cyclops bergan will do you justice too.

Also, I use exped dry-bags too and realy rate them. I'd recommend the coloured ones over the OD ones though as easier to identify kit by colour when it's in your bag.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
US jungle boots are the dogs bollox, seem to come in narrow fittings though. I used them in Belize and they were very very comfortable.

Paul

B

bertles86

Thanks again folks, over the last week I picked up a Sabre 75 off fleabay, used twice for £75 delivered! So now I think I'll nip to London and try on Altbergs/Wellcos and Scarpa's. Could anyone give me a definitive answer as to the best manufacturer? The Altbergs seem to be most popular here, but they do seem very militaristic!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE