Jungle craft - survival skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

Paulmac

Hi everyone - new here
I would like to do some jungle skills amongst many other places, prefer a uk based company has anyone got any suggestions ?
Thanks

Paul Mac :idea:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi Paul, welcome aboard.
I know TRackways and Wildlife survival have just bought a plot of Brazillian rainforest between them, so are planning to take courses out there in the future. Best contact them for details
Cheers Rich :-D

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I've never had much success with the Trackways website? But the full details (nicked off the wilderness gathering links):
Thomas Schorr-Kon at Trackways, High Saffron, Cuifail, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2BE. Tel: 01273 476896 or 07801 492482 Email: trackways@btinternet.com

Sorry its not "Wildlive survival" (or wildlife survival) Tone, I believe thats our friend Antonio "flinty" Akkerman, but "Wildlife wilderness-living" : -
http://www.wildernessliving.co.uk/

Cheers
Rich

P

Paulmac

Thanks for the feedback guys

Your right about the Trackways site as down.
The Wilderness living site mentions Amazon conservation - no details though - looks a new thing their working on.
Would prefer an established tried and tested trip - ie, a company that has, and is already doing this kind of activity- I will keep looking, would apreciate any info from members.

Regards
Paul Mac

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the royal geographical socity use a company called Jet asia

www.jet-asia.com

they train people as tropical forest expedition leaders and the also teach jungle survival

they teach on batam island (close to singapore)

they are the best people to see for jungle survival and have been running these courses for a long time

P

Paulmac

Thanks Stuart- looks quite hardcore but still not uk based outfit - reasons: prefer to speak to the people, in person if possible - you know what I mean. Maybe even get to speak to someone who done it.

P

Paulmac

Thanks Dave
Is woodlore/Ray mears the same thing? Checked Ray Mears site no jungle trips on there ? :-?
Regards

Paul Mac

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Paul - Wildlife has only been set up relatively recently, but Trackways has been going about 10 years so has alot more experience, I don't know how much jungle experience or what courses they are planning to offer. Best give Tom a call if you want answers.
Cheers
Rich

P

Paulmac

Thanks Rich
Will do that.
Id have thought with the amount of experience in this country there must be more companies doing some kind of overseas training courses/expeditions etc,.
Thanks for your help everyone
Paul Mac

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Paul,

Yes, Woodlore and Ray are the same thing.
There is a jungle trip in his brochure, also an arctic one. Hope this helps.

Dave

P

Paulmac

Thanks Dave & thanks for everyone who pm'd me - The woodlore stuffs very exspensive or is it me - am I tight?
I must admit I don't watch their stuff on the telly so maybe i'm missing something.
My research has taken a twist towards a Survival School based in Hereford who apparently operate in Borneo - I have yet to find a site on it, anybody come across this?
Best regards
Paul

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Paulmac said:
Thanks Stuart- looks quite hardcore but still not uk based outfit - reasons: prefer to speak to the people, in person if possible - you know what I mean. Maybe even get to speak to someone who done it.

you can ring them up and speak to them and if you what to talk to people who have done it call the Royal geographical socity expedition advisory center

if the RGS sends people to train there then it must be very Good the RGS dosnt mess around

and you can get more british than the royal geographical society!!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
It will also cost you far more to go with a UK based outfit and you will learn less

if you want to learn about jungle do it with people who live there!

you wouldnt go to a company based in the arabian desert to learn temprate woodland survival wood you?

you cant get a better seal of approval than the RGS

Hi guys,

we are hoping to organise a jungle survival in Suriname. This is Natural Pathways and I who are hoping to do this. However, we won't be teaching! We are teaming up for one or two weeks with a native tribe, who just recently moved deeper into the jungle, due to their sons and daughters running off to the big cities. This means the teaching would be done by people who live this way full-time
I'd like to be very cxlear, that at this stage, it is an idea, and we have the right contacts, but we need to discuss the how's and when's. This is not a worked out plan! No dates are yet known either!

If any info comes available, I will post this immediately, or discuss things with Tony, so we can put an add up on the main Bushcraftuk site.

Regards,

P

Paulmac

Thanks Stuart
Spoke to RGS yesterday about the JET ASIA - 3differant people didn't Know about it, although it was one of these people that told me about the Hereford based company, which i have now found.
I was abit dubious about the one you said because its held on a holiday island resort run by a brit.
The UK based company work in Borneo each year and have apparntly done for along time.Although their stuff is lead by British exped leaders, the jungle skills are delivered by native tribesman who live off and in the jungle.
Their is also alot of other cultural and aventure stuff on the programme, which includes a preperation training weekend here in the uk before going to the jungle and all for around £800 plus flights - this years were £560 return.( i asked about VAT or hidden extras and was told VAT is not applicable on outside EEC courses- something i found other companies charging!)
They have pictures from this years trip on a link off their news page ( some of food they caught with traps) and details of the course/expedition on their site.By coincidence they also work in other environments ie Arctic this January I found thier site very interesting and on speaking to them very informative- this looks more like what i'm looking for.
Their website is: www.uksurvivalschool.co.uk
Many thanks for your help everyone

Regards
Paul Mac

P

Paulmac

Thanks C,
And thanks to everyone who contributed to my enquiry.
I'm going for the UK Survival School option,
After all as Stuart said earlier, "you can't get a better seal of approval"
and also got feedback on Resources section from a chap who's done it.
Regards
Paul Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE