Julius Pettersson Hand forged blade.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Stick tang vs full tang... an old debate :) My opinion is if you dont abuse a knife, either will be just as good as the other... stick tangs are lighter and wont suffer from the handle (if wood) expanding and contracting due to the moisture in the air the same way a full tang will. On a full tang you can sometimes feel the edge of the tang/pins with your nail if its been hot and dry or its been left in the sun. This can be mitigated by using certain dense woods, but tbh its really only a tiny amount and swells back up if its damp. On the other hand.. fulltangs are a better choice if you like to batton through wood as they are tougher in that respect. I prefer an axe for all splitting as you can batton an axe too if you wish, though i tend to only batton an axe through small stuff for kindling and thats not needed often. Full tangs are easier to put a handle on IMO.

Personal choice really. You will find full tangs are the most popular on here, as a lot of people like to batton with them. I'm happy with either. A well made knife is a well made knife, and should last a lifetime of work. :)

Well i was going with stick tang purely because that's what the JP blade is, I did think the handle would be interesting to do with the disks. But as i have never made a full tang handle either (apart from para cord wrapping) would still be able to use my piece of Ash, seems it would be a lot stronger a knife this way. What is your opinion on stick v full? I'm very much a novice so i value opinions of chaps like you who clearly know their stuff.

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Just had a look at your blog mate, some nice work on there. :)
In the bit where you make the netting needle.... is that a re handled wildlife hatchet?

Yep :)

Bit sad, but watched the Northern Wilderness series and fancied handling a trade type axe. Struggled greatly to look for any sort of axe head of a small size. The wildlife hatchet was the nearest I could get at the time. My handle is a little longer than the actual model but I like the extra.

My blade of yours is an older model I got off here and did a reindeer handle and a nubuck dangler sheath. I loved what Niels did with a stick tang version of yours. That I need to do when I can get round to sorting it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE