Journey to Vanlife stage 2 about to start

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not thinking of bikes right now. It'll be for after winter I reckon. It's barn doors and our converter hasn't found anyone who can supply a three bike rack for a Vivaro barn doors. Fiamma do three bike racks but only for a small range of band which have extra strong barn doors. IIRC it's the hinge details and the ones that don't open 180° or more.

It'll be towbar and good towbar rack. Later on as we're probably going to move house first.

Our first van conversion (I typed that as if we might do more than one conversion.

There's been a blatant theft in our area, I'm now paranoid about losing the van despite it having good, comp insurance. What do you guys think of the various vehicle n security options? Those disc locking kits that go over our through the steering wheel or over the handbrake and around the gearstick??

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Not thinking of bikes right now. It'll be for after winter I reckon. It's barn doors and our converter hasn't found anyone who can supply a three bike rack for a Vivaro barn doors. Fiamma do three bike racks but only for a small range of band which have extra strong barn doors. IIRC it's the hinge details and the ones that don't open 180° or more.

It'll be towbar and good towbar rack. Later on as we're probably going to move house first.

Our first van conversion (I typed that as if we might do more than one conversion.

There's been a blatant theft in our area, I'm now paranoid about losing the van despite it having good, comp insurance. What do you guys think of the various vehicle n security options? Those disc locking kits that go over our through the steering wheel or over the handbrake and around the gearstick??
Clutch cage.

Drivers seat on a swivel? Leave it in the rearward position and padlock in place.(drill a 18mm hole on a corner of the swivel base and lock a massive padlock through it, it won't be able to rotate forwards unless u remove the padlock)

Remove battery when in storage?

If its sat on your driveway and its used only occasionally, Jack up a corner and remove a wheel.(keep wheel in shed).

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Luckily we live in a very quiet rural area otherwise I would be paranoid about the Defender being stolen. It's one of the most stolen vehicles in the UK because it can be stripped down with a spanner and a screwdriver and sold off as parts within hours of being nicked. The steering wheel locks are only really a deterrent for an opportunist thief; if someone really plans on stealing your vehicle (and it often is planned for sought after vehicles) it won't stop them. If you do use one make sure you lock the wheel fully turned; it makes it more difficult to drag onto a trailer.

In a review of methods (for the Defender) a few years ago, wheel clamps were considered one of the best options together with a hidden tracker.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We're in a quiet area but some building materials just got nicked in front of people. Only the second burglary/theft in our area in 20+ years. The first one everyone thought was an insurance job so perhaps doesn't count.

It's a nice colour van and the tinted side windows look really smart with the blue paint and colour matched roof. It's fully insured as panel van through to full conversion but it's inconvenient to be have it stolen.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just got our van back and all the campsites we like are full. Actually every site is full. Looking at Keswick but also langdales campsite. All full!! That's a downer.

PS u!terior motive for Keswick. There's a shop with a buffalo hood the colour I want in stock there and it's a good excuse to get it.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well we got our van converted after the first lockdown eased and just in time for campsites to close again. We got two overnights in and we're hooked. We've found a new site that's more likely to have spaces than our usual sites. When they're open of course.

Since those two weekends we've had no opportunity due to sites being shut or tier system in place. Will we ever benefit from getting it done? Any bets on when things will open up my enough to allow travel to campsites? We're an hour from Keswick or less. We'd like to go back one day. It's more relaxing by van than by tent and car.

Reactions: Winnet

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Its anyones guess isn't it..... we are champing at the bit to get back out travelling again. Until the time comes, our van remains on the drive, only used as the daily driver....... the other van sits slowly turning green in the lock up......

Wandering Fred

Oct 1, 2018
Dorset
In the throes of looking at them & seriously thinking of buying one in the future.

I owned the Delica L300 (previous model, which had the 2.5L Pajero engine & was a bit more agricultural & low tech)

I had it for 7 years and toured the country in it Scotland, & the Hebrides in it, Not the quickest but it was able to go anywhere so stayed in some very remote places. Great vehicle that's sadly missed.

Would like another L300 but silly prices for 30 year old vehicle so L400 is very tempting....

If you test drive one, make sure you check the 4WD works properly as it either gets ignored so linkages can get stiff or they get used on tarmac roads which can damage it. (Look up 'Diff Wind Up)

Have a look at the owners club - MDOCUK website - loads of info.

Bit of a garbled post - apologies.........

Reactions: TeeDee

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We looked at them but went for a vivaro/trafic instead. They're not big enough for a family van based camping. More a 4 wheel drive bus.

However we went to a company called Adventure Motor Vehicles in Carnforth, Lancashire. If you're serious and want a top quality one they're good to check out. Not the cheapest but they're immaculate and well finished.

AMV

We got our van partially converted by van bodies Ltd who AMV work with. When we got ours done they were doing the first conversion for AMV on a white delica. It's a 2 person camping setup. They are quality converters just like AMV are about quality imports only. Less risk of a dud vehicle through them but there's b probably a premium for that.

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
We looked at them but went for a vivaro/trafic instead. They're not big enough for a family van based camping. More a 4 wheel drive bus.

However we went to a company called Adventure Motor Vehicles in Carnforth, Lancashire. If you're serious and want a top quality one they're good to check out. Not the cheapest but they're immaculate and well finished.

AMV

We got our van partially converted by van bodies Ltd who AMV work with. When we got ours done they were doing the first conversion for AMV on a white delica. It's a 2 person camping setup. They are quality converters just like AMV are about quality imports only. Less risk of a dud vehicle through them but there's b probably a premium for that.
Flipping heck! 20k for a conversion........ thats mental money.....

We are travelling right now. Dumfries and Galloway. Not many folks about, its beautiful and peaceful.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was going to suggest you look at Morecambe and Wize vw vans. They import and renovate old VW vans. Classic models only. Start at something like £60k.

Except I've just googled them to link and they're permanently closed.

£20k isn't really that much. Van Bodies who do the conversions for AMV are premium convertors not mass market ones banging them out. Mind you they're only camper convertors as a sideline I think. They're coachbuilders and their big business is industrial conversions for big fleets. Million pound contracts for big companies. Also ambulances too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE