Journey to Vanlife stage 2 about to start

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Mine isn't a 4Motion, but it manages really well on the forest tracks and steep rutted byways that I have driven it on, even when fully loaded. I've never got stuck, but I put that down to a combination of tyres, route walking, waffle boards and lots of caution!.

However..... a friend of mine does have a 4Motion with diff lock on her van, which she uses for most farm duties and she loves it. She says its much more practical than her husbands landy, but that's another argument that I ain't brave enough to get into, seen as I do harbour a secret fantasy of turning a 130 landy into an overland truck!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
We had a 4Motion with diff lock in work and I really wanted one but decided a 2 WD was enough for us and I found an otherwise right van for me. Still love the work one for getting access to some interesting places though...

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Do you have a van or planning a conversion?
I've got a VW Transporter Kombi (T5.1 T30) with the 2+1 backseat (the single has been taken out for easy access) and 2x captain seats up front. It's got sound proofing and insulation plus extra lights etc in the back. I want to get a fold down bed installed and then leisure battery and solar panels + an awning strip. That's probably us done then. I wanted a kombi for everyday hauling tasks that can go on weekend adventures, not a full-blown camper.

ETA: And we might get a diesel space heater and a portable 240V/12V fridge/coolbox. We'll see. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I've got a VW Transporter Kombi (T5.1 T30) with the 2+1 backseat (the single has been taken out for easy access) and 2x captain seats up front. It's got sound proofing and insulation plus extra lights etc in the back. I want to get a fold down bed installed and then leisure battery and solar panels + an awning strip. That's probably us done then. I wanted a kombi for everyday hauling tasks that can go on weekend adventures, not a full-blown camper.
Mine started out as a kombi.... we travelled Europe totally unconverted! We fell in love with vanlife travelling there and then. It was awesome!

Reactions: SaraR

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There's an importer near me that's carving a niche with really high quality imports. His specialty was bongos but they're getting long in the tooth so he's into other Japanese imports now. Delica is a popular option. Chamonix model especially so. Low and high roof versions.

I know he charges more and you can get a secondhand Delica I'm the UK cheaper by a lot of money but his premium is seriously quality. Plus discount deals for local buyers in my case. If I had gone that way he'd have knocked off a bit and even offered to get me his trade rate on servicing and mots. There's some really nice looking imports around Lancaster with his distinctive orange claw mark type logo on their bumpers. However most go across the country from South to north, East to West. For awhile he only had one local customer.

A lot of his come with full package of second set of hubs with winter tyres on, Chrome racks, ladders, etc. Basically the top spec options or nearly top spec in a Japanese style. Low mileage too.

Would you mind giving me his name please? PM if you prefer.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Mine started out as a kombi.... we travelled Europe totally unconverted! We fell in love with vanlife travelling there and then. It was awesome!

I feel in love with work's van and after 10 years of using that for fieldwork and driving cross country, I knew what vehicle I wanted. Now we need to figure out what works for us in terms of sleeping and cooking. That's were an awning or tarp would come in handy for cooking.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Adventure motor vehicles in Carnforth near the railway bridges, if you know the area.

AMV Japanese Nov importers

Now it might sound like I've got an interest in this company, I don't. It's just that before he moved to his current location be was based in offices behind a restaurant on my commute home from work. I used to stop and chat about his stock and other things. We were first talking about getting a camper and my partner really loves bongo shape. He had two good examples for sale. A mint mpv with some unusual feature that's rare in the UK hence a premium to the price. The other was an original Mazda camper build straight from the factory. Only nothing had been used, ever!! It was still in the plastic wrapper, the fridge, stove and sink. Indeed there was still plastic protecting the pop up roof inside. Possibly one of the very few original bongo campers in the UK. A nearly 25 year old camper that had never been used as a camper, very low mileage, complete service history and Japanese version of the mot.

Then he got a Delica in, he took me round the back where he was getting it ready for for sale. He showed me one in the state it comes off the transporter like. For me that was saleable quality but not him. He said it'll be two weeks of polishing, servicing, mot, waxoil treatment underneath, etc. He reckons it's worth doing that treatment every three years I think he said once. Certainly that come with it but he does it again so he knows it's been done and done well.

I didn't get one in the end for various reasons. They are a little bit too small for us. Plus I can't sit in the front seats without my head being pressed against the roof lining. That's the low roof version. He's never had a high roof version since I've been looking. It might have been ok but we'd moved on to a Vivaro. My partner didn't like the macho look of the Delica. A team ish I think it was what she said. They had a few Noah's too but they're a lot smaller.

The high roof Delica is quite a high vehicle I believe, possibly height issues in carparks. Cracking vehicles though.

I must point out I'm 6'5" or just under 2m tall not every vehicle caters well for me because of this.

BTW if we had got one there's a dealership in the same town that's got a good reputation with car sales and their garage. They are very happy to work on Japanese Mitsubishi imports. They've a lot of experience with Delica and got a bit sized by my question. They asked "why wouldn't they fix it service a Mitsubishi?" which might sound a bit noughty but they were not being offended just surprised I might think they wouldn't. They did say if there was any part that's not UK item then they usually get parts direct from Japan quicker than UK sourced parts common with UK spec vehicles. Don't know how true but if you get a Delica import and struggle getting a garage to work on it then Norjac LTD are a good garage to try. Not in your area though Broch.

I hope I've helped you with your land rover itch by putting you on to a good Delica source!! :D

Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I hope I've helped you with your land rover itch by putting you on to a good Delica source!! :D

Thanks for that :); I'll make a trip up some time and see them.

It will be difficult to get rid of the 110 - it's got so many extras on it and I've put so much effort into it over the 11 years we've had it. But, I'll always have the Series III :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's one high roof for sale by at AMV with another just sold. IMHO they're not as good as the ones I saw. When I looked about 2 years ago when he was only in his first year the vans were mint underneath. These have a few rust marks I thought.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Thanks for that :); I'll make a trip up some time and see them.

It will be difficult to get rid of the 110 - it's got so many extras on it and I've put so much effort into it over the 11 years we've had it. But, I'll always have the Series III :)
Land rovers do get addictive I reckon. Decades ago straight out of university I went on a course with a guy who owned an early ex army landrover. He was part of a land rover owners club, was in committee member or regional committee member. His dad was into them too. He didn't like working on them for the joy of it but he had to work on his a lot just to keep it going. A labour of love!! Mind you I think he had lost his sense of smell. It had extended fuel tanks including some under the front seats. There was a leak because diesel was always what n you could smell around that car.

Incidentally he did say it would cost a grand to fill the tanks up. That was back when diesel was £0.55 per litre or less!! He never put much in it though, less to leak out I guess.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
DVLA ha
Waffle boards????

BTW do you know about the DVLA conversion rules and insurance issues? I assume I need to call insurers before conversion. Since it's a part conversion and might not be converted further is it just modifications to a panel van or part conversion to a motor caravan? I know some insurers don't insure motor caravans but panel van with windows???
The DVLA has changed their attitude towards van conversions lately and unless it looks more like a mobile home than a van with windows, they won't change your V5C. There has been a lot about it on the van forums, so Google will probably find it all for you easily. Eg you need a high top roof, not just a pop top. Changing the inside to a camper van is no longer enough. I think their unofficial test is "what would a cop report it as if it came flying past?" :)

I'd go with an insurer that is well-known for covering campervans like brentacre, a-plan, adrian flux or just kampers.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I feel in love with work's van and after 10 years of using that for fieldwork and driving cross country, I knew what vehicle I wanted. Now we need to figure out what works for us in terms of sleeping and cooking. That's were an awning or tarp would come in handy for cooking.
How many peeps will be travelling in your tribe?

We are a family of 5. 2 adults, 2 kids (11 and 7, boy and girl) and a Border Collie. We have plenty of space for us although we have learnt some things along the way.......

For the first two days its like trying to move about in a bean can, no matter how frequently you travel! But once you get back into the routine and everyone relearn how to move about inside, youre all good.

Take a hammock or two, for instant outdoor lounging off a conveniently placed tree, wall, fence.

Don't bother with nice little tupperwear boxes to store all your small bits and prices in the cupboards. We tried that for a few trips and just ended up binning them because it makes it difficult to get them in and out, fumbling through them all. Now we just have a cupboard for food, a cupboard for cooking, a cupboard for clothes etc.... granted, there's still some fumbling but we can fit more in....

We have an awning. Instant outdoor shade and great for lounging and cooking under. Doubles the living space of your van. Dont leave out over night no matter what in the UK. we saw a van wrecked when a badly pitched awning collected rain water over night and the weight tore it off.... (always pitch your awning with one side lower than the other to allow water to run off....)

Buy a Cobb BBQ. its an oven that will retain optimum heat for over 2 hours. We have cooked a roast dinner in one and while we ate that we cooked a chocolate pudding for dessert, all on about 2 cups of charcoal (I s*** you not!) They're truly amazing.

Don't have permanent fitted water tanks. We have 3 15ltr fresh tanks that we can take to the water point by hand. The UK really hasn't got it figured out for vanlife yet and refilling isn't as simple as in the EU. being able to take the tank to the water point (normally a tap on a wall or in a public toilet) makes life so much easier and we just top up a tank when it empties if required. Also, we added a 4ft length of hose with a tap fitment so no issues if we have to fill from a sink!

If you have wet suits like us, drying can be a pain. We take HD wet suit hangers so we can dry them hanging from fences, trees, or improvise a line. Drying a wet suit when folded isnt good.....

Head torches. One for every person travelling. Just trust me on this one..... lol.

Toilet roll. (See head torch comment)

No pooping in the porta pottie!

I'm the cook. To keep us eating well I learned some basic cooking recipes. We eat fresh cooked food as much as we can. So no beans on toast every day! Spaghetti carbonara, steak and chips, roast chicken, all from scratch. With a little invention its all possible.....

Google earth is your camp spot friend.

Buy a pump shower. Noone likes a stinky vanlifer!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
How many peeps will be travelling in your tribe?

We are a family of 5. 2 adults, 2 kids (11 and 7, boy and girl) and a Border Collie. We have plenty of space for us although we have learnt some things along the way.......

For the first two days its like trying to move about in a bean can, no matter how frequently you travel! But once you get back into the routine and everyone relearn how to move about inside, youre all good.

Take a hammock or two, for instant outdoor lounging off a conveniently placed tree, wall, fence.

Don't bother with nice little tupperwear boxes to store all your small bits and prices in the cupboards. We tried that for a few trips and just ended up binning them because it makes it difficult to get them in and out, fumbling through them all. Now we just have a cupboard for food, a cupboard for cooking, a cupboard for clothes etc.... granted, there's still some fumbling but we can fit more in....

We have an awning. Instant outdoor shade and great for lounging and cooking under. Doubles the living space of your van. Dont leave out over night no matter what in the UK. we saw a van wrecked when a badly pitched awning collected rain water over night and the weight tore it off.... (always pitch your awning with one side lower than the other to allow water to run off....)

Buy a Cobb BBQ. its an oven that will retain optimum heat for over 2 hours. We have cooked a roast dinner in one and while we ate that we cooked a chocolate pudding for dessert, all on about 2 cups of charcoal (I s*** you not!) They're truly amazing.

Don't have permanent fitted water tanks. We have 3 15ltr fresh tanks that we can take to the water point by hand. The UK really hasn't got it figured out for vanlife yet and refilling isn't as simple as in the EU. being able to take the tank to the water point (normally a tap on a wall or in a public toilet) makes life so much easier and we just top up a tank when it empties if required. Also, we added a 4ft length of hose with a tap fitment so no issues if we have to fill from a sink!

If you have wet suits like us, drying can be a pain. We take HD wet suit hangers so we can dry them hanging from fences, trees, or improvise a line. Drying a wet suit when folded isnt good.....

Head torches. One for every person travelling. Just trust me on this one..... lol.

Toilet roll. (See head torch comment)

No pooping in the porta pottie!

I'm the cook. To keep us eating well I learned some basic cooking recipes. We eat fresh cooked food as much as we can. So no beans on toast every day! Spaghetti carbonara, steak and chips, roast chicken, all from scratch. With a little invention its all possible.....

Google earth is your camp spot friend.

Buy a pump shower. Noone likes a stinky vanlifer!

Excellent advice, thank you!

It's just the two of us and then the two dogs. They're only small but it does add *a lot* of faff to have them with us, we've noticed. We don't have any cupboards and my plan is lidded boxes that can double as seats. I've got two sturdy 60 L ones that are really good but can't find any more in the shops now, but they would be ideal - hold enough but not too much, easy to move around the van and can take a full grown adult sitting on top of them. We've also got a couple of Zarges cases, but they take up a lot of space in the back and can't be moved to the front of the backseats.

We've got plenty of water containers and camping stoves already, so no need to get anything specific yet we feel, but it's always good to get recommendations if we change our minds. We're used to wild camping so having a living room for when the weather craps out is heaven. I'm quite happy just sitting in the front seats actually, sipping my tea and admiring the view. :) The good thing about the van is that you can bring hammocks AND a tent and mats if you fancy a bit of a break from the van.

I'd really like a simple awning or tarp to keep rain off the side door when cooking or just in general + provide shade on sunny days, but nothing fancy. I too have seen just what only a bit of wind can do to sturdy metal overnight, so we'll definitely not leave anything up unattended! I don't want one of those big awning tents though that every one seems to have, definitely not for me!

The bed we've kind of settled on is a flatout camper bed that is stored upright along the side wall in the back and then folds down to make a platform. It looks like it's just what we want, so hopefully once it's safe to travel again we can arrange to get one. I'm also contemplating a diesel space heater. I'm not sure we need one as we've got plenty of warm kit, but I tend to run on the cold side, so maybe that would actually be nice when the weather turns. We'll see. :)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK

It's just the two of us and then the two dogs. They're only small but it does add *a lot* of faff to have them with us, we've noticed. We don't have any cupboards and my plan is lidded boxes that can double as seats. I've got two sturdy 60 L ones that are really good but can't find any more in the shops now, but they would be ideal - hold enough but not too much, easy to move around the van and can take a full grown adult sitting on top of them. We've also got a couple of Zarges cases, but they take up a lot of space in the back and can't be moved to the front of the backseats.

We've got plenty of water containers and camping stoves already, so no need to get anything specific yet we feel, but it's always good to get recommendations if we change our minds. We're used to wild camping so having a living room for when the weather craps out is heaven. I'm quite happy just sitting in the front seats actually, sipping my tea and admiring the view. :) The good thing about the van is that you can bring hammocks AND a tent and mats if you fancy a bit of a break from the van.

I'd really like a simple awning or tarp to keep rain off the side door when cooking or just in general + provide shade on sunny days, but nothing fancy. I too have seen just what only a bit of wind can do to sturdy metal overnight, so we'll definitely not leave anything up unattended! I don't want one of those big awning tents though that every one seems to have, definitely not for me!

The bed we've kind of settled on is a flatout camper bed that is stored upright along the side wall in the back and then folds down to make a platform. It looks like it's just what we want, so hopefully once it's safe to travel again we can arrange to get one. I'm also contemplating a diesel space heater. I'm not sure we need one as we've got plenty of warm kit, but I tend to run on the cold side, so maybe that would actually be nice when the weather turns. We'll see. :)
We have a diesel heater, its a game changer! Also, take a look at these as a bed for your Kombi....

We used this exact bed when we travelled Europe. You can leave it up when you're travelling and store your boxes underneath. Sounds like your set up is the same as we used before we converted our van. We had two large storage boxes, which fit well under the bed.... bonus of the bed being a storage shelf when travelling. For a mattress we used an IKEA futon cushion, it fit exactly.....

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
We have a diesel heater, its a game changer! Also, take a look at these as a bed for your Kombi....

We used this exact bed when we travelled Europe. You can leave it up when you're travelling and store your boxes underneath. Sounds like your set up is the same as we used before we converted our van. We had two large storage boxes, which fit well under the bed.... bonus of the bed being a storage shelf when travelling. For a mattress we used an IKEA futon cushion, it fit exactly.....

That type bed is the runner up choice. :) Basically we want something that's out of the way normally but easily deployed when needed, with minimum hassle and faff. As you say, some space for boxes underneath and an IKEA futon mattress untop (believe me I've been checking all the measurements!) :D

I think almost everyone says the same about the diesel heater who's got one. :) I'm just aware that the costs stack up quickly, so I'm tryin to do it one thing at a time and then save up in between.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
When it comes to storage boxes I can't recommend the Euro-stacking versions enough. They come in a variety of sizes, lock together sturdily when stacked (very necessary when 'off-piste' in the Landy), and are available with and without lids. The lidded ones are rodent proof too so you can leave them outside overnight to clear space. You can stack two smaller boxes next to each other on a larger box - they're all made to standard dimensions. And they're very strong - you can stand or sit on them. Maybe not quite as sturdy as Wolf boxes but much cheaper.

From Solent Plastics (who also sell a wide range of standard boxes as well):

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

I have to admit that was more my thinking as well - more a metal tent on wheels rather than a caravan with an engine :). Just somewhere we can sleep without setting up a tent or awning and cook on a portable stove with a door open or something. Maybe that's how everyone starts and then ends up with the full fitted version :)

Reactions: SaraR and Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I have to admit that was more my thinking as well - more a metal tent on wheels rather than a caravan with an engine :). Just somewhere we can sleep without setting up a tent or awning and cook on a portable stove with a door open or something. Maybe that's how everyone starts and then ends up with the full fitted version :)
exactly how we started! Originally got the van as a 'do it all' family vehicle, which then led to 'shall we go camping in it' to 'shall we travel Europe' to 'we need to convert!'..... we did it all bit by bit. Save then spend.......

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
When it comes to storage boxes I can't recommend the Euro-stacking versions enough. They come in a variety of sizes, lock together sturdily when stacked (very necessary when 'off-piste' in the Landy), and are available with and without lids. The lidded ones are rodent proof too so you can leave them outside overnight to clear space. You can stack two smaller boxes next to each other on a larger box - they're all made to standard dimensions. And they're very strong - you can stand or sit on them. Maybe not quite as sturdy as Wolf boxes but much cheaper.

From Solent Plastics (who also sell a wide range of standard boxes as well):

Thanks, I'll have a look at those!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Take a look at van bodies in Morecambe. Their website has links to adventure vehicles part of the company. It's for motor sports but there's a large van with a removable bed platform creating a garage underneath. I'm not suggesting it's for you SaraR but might give you ideas. You see the bed platform is a serious of metal planks across the van. You add the number you want to create a single bed to a double king size if your van is big enough. The best thing is because the platform isn't one big piece it can be removed and stored, stacked in one end of your van if it's not needed. Just get a mattress for on top.

Relay showing bed platform system.

I think it's a neat system.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Take a look at van bodies in Morecambe. Their website has links to adventure vehicles part of the company. It's for motor sports but there's a large van with a removable bed platform creating a garage underneath. I'm not suggesting it's for you SaraR but might give you ideas. You see the bed platform is a serious of metal planks across the van. You add the number you want to create a single bed to a double king size if your van is big enough. The best thing is because the platform isn't one big piece it can be removed and stored, stacked in one end of your van if it's not needed. Just get a mattress for on top.

Relay showing bed platform system.

I think it's a neat system.
Yeah, it's nice to see some different systems make it on to the market. Everyone has different needs and wants. Initially I wanted a Rock n Roll bed, but there isn't one that fits my criteria without far too many compromises that I'm not willing to make. I like the ones made from trade show display aluminium profile frames too, but it would be too fiddly for me I think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE