Journey to Vanlife stage 2 about to start

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I had planned to go to the Adventure Overland show at the end of April to have a good look at options and how others had done things - sadly, of course, it was cancelled. The last time I went I was looking much more at converted Defenders - 130s and Ex-military ambulance versions - there were some fantastic fit-outs but the vehicles ended up quite bulky. I still want a vehicle that I can easily get through small country lanes, over mountain passes and even into deserts but still drive out around the rocky headland to camp on deserted beaches :)

Being someone that mistakenly drove down into the centre of Polperro, where even the 110 (which is not wide) was scraping the walls trying to negotiate the bends, I speak from experience.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just been thinking about a few more things about our conversion.

Anyone got a bike rack? We need to carry 3 bikes of various sizes. We don't have a tow bar so looking at something hanging or bolted to the door, barn doors not boot lid type lift up door. The market leader is fiamma. Do they fit to Vivaro vans or only VW? AIUI there's a bolt on for one door and a hang on carrier like for cars. I've only seen the bolt on attached to motorhomes or VW vans. The hang on I've only seen on tailgate doors.

I am thinking, very last minute, that if we get a bolt on rack it'll be best to have that attached before the lining out of the van. Any advice?

Anyone had a fiamma rack on a van? On anon VW van? Need help, any opinions as I might need to sort this out quickly since the van is due in for part conversion in this month.

I have Fiamma bike rack on my Renault Master camper. The hanging bars are slightly offset so that it can be mounted to a single door.

That does mean the skids for the bike poke out slightly when you open the doors. Many times in the early days did I close the van door only to get whack from behind by one of the bike skids because I forgot that they poked out! I've long since learned to close the door by using the skid instead of the handle so am always stood out the way!
b0d18d1b2a7ddcb28fba32b6aaf09f29.jpg

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Reactions: SaraR
I had planned to go to the Adventure Overland show at the end of April to have a good look at options and how others had done things - sadly, of course, it was cancelled. The last time I went I was looking much more at converted Defenders - 130s and Ex-military ambulance versions - there were some fantastic fit-outs but the vehicles ended up quite bulky. I still want a vehicle that I can easily get through small country lanes, over mountain passes and even into deserts but still drive out around the rocky headland to camp on deserted beaches :)

Being someone that mistakenly drove down into the centre of Polperro, where even the 110 (which is not wide) was scraping the walls trying to negotiate the bends, I speak from experience.
Tom - the organiser - does run the AO show twice yearly with the bigger of the two events being the late Summer show which happens in September and as I write this he has no plans to cancel it yet. So AO 2020 may happen yet which is quite a cool opportunity for anyone that's keen to join in.

Unfortunately for the April iteration it has only been going a for a couple of years and has bee plagued by bad weather resulting in pretty poor turnouts each time. The late Summer show is far better established and always has good turnout. Also, on the Monday after the show a large group usually go straight over to Germany for the german version of the AO show the following weekend.

Some of the vehicles there are quite incredible! I've been going for many years now and theres always something different to look at.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Finally! The van went in for partial conversion. An issue with the be roof means no roof delivery until August at the earliest then it'll need painting and installing. Well not many roof brands do new model Vivaro/Trafic. Annoyingly limited choice of very expensive but I'm production or reasonable price but in development.

Anyway, the van went in yesterday so we'll have a bare metal roof but the rest is lined out. They'll put temporary LEDs up using wooden boards or similar so it'll be useable as a camper.

If anyone is looking at getting a conversion made our even doing it yourself. Apparently the demand is so high that trade suppliers of campervan parts are often out of stock even for non VW parts that aren't as popular. Seems post lockdown this sector is going on crazy. Our converter said he can't find porta potties from any of his usual suppliers. We told him go outdoors for£35!!!! :D :D

Reactions: SaraR

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think I need to set up a photo sharing page for this thread. Anyone recommend a good free one to use? I don't generally share photographs online, I'm very private and the online presence I do have concerns me in that respect, so I'm not clued up on sharing photos on this forum. Any advice gratefully received.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Full member or full member gold? What gift?

Recurring payments always worry me because I'm very bad remembering annual things. I've been caught out many times by insurance renewals when they've sent the renewal letter almost two months early so I forgot to check whether I could have got a better deal nearer the time. I'm very, very disorganized with things like that.

It's a good call though, and I think I might soon.too much on right now though.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I think I need to set up a photo sharing page for this thread. Anyone recommend a good free one to use? I don't generally share photographs online, I'm very private and the online presence I do have concerns me in that respect, so I'm not clued up on sharing photos on this forum. Any advice gratefully received.

I use Postimages.org

Easy to use and free

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I use Postimages.org

Easy to use and free

You do realise that you have given away all rights to your image for ever by using that site don't you? That may be OK for the odd snapshot but any decent photo is worth holding on to the copyright of I would have thought.

There are no 'free' sites IMO - they either use the data (read the terms of posting carefully) or they fill the borders with advertising (sometimes not suitable for a family friendly forum).

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Van is partway through conversion but we've hit a snag. We can't get a fiamma or Thule bike rack that can carry 3 or perhaps 4 bikes. It's because more than 2 bikes would be too heavy for the door.

So we're talking about tow bar and bike rack. We wanted to avoid a tow bar because that stick out and affect the rear sensors, or could do. Plus the hassle of storing the bike rack when not in use. No garage. The permanently attached rack would have no storage issues and if one of us needed picking up with our bike then it's always there v ready for use.

We've had a quote for detachable towbar, universal single electrics (oe loom could be difficult to access after full conversion) and Thule 3 bike rack for £1080 after 10% discount has been applied for buying both together. That's a shock price. The bar costs £700 alone!! The rack£505. The fixed towbar costs£360.

So what's your recommendations? Fixed or removable towbar? £500 for a Thule bar mounted rack? Is that a rip off?

Any good places for towbars in Lancashire or Cumbria? Which would you /have you gone for?

Reactions: Van-Wild
Presumably you would want to open and close said door whilst bikes were still on the rack?

If not, then you're door will be more than strong enough to take the weight with bikes on when closed.

Alternatively, have a leg custom made that will fold out when door opened that will take the weight. Fairly simple thing to make I should imagine.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just had photographs sent through of our conversion so far. The drive lodge garage pop top roof is on and looks very nice. The converter hit a local main dealership to paint the roof to match the van and its it's a perfect colour match.

The business owner apologised to me for it taking some time but he's never installed a roof from this manufacturer before and was being very cautious to get it right. I've no problem with that. It's also a new product for the manufacturer which meant its got no bed boards. They've only just finished making the first ones so they'll be arriving next week.

Three van is almost completely carpeted on the walls and roof opening, floor is supposed to be cut to size and in but the photographs show only a wooden floor so unless it's a temporary cover board the altro flooring isn't in yet.

Anyway, I think they've washed and polished our van because it positively shines and pops!!!

I'm getting very excited now. I think we'll have it back end of next week. A lovely blue van and colour matched roof.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
So what's your recommendations? Fixed or removable towbar? £500 for a Thule bar mounted rack? Is that a rip off?

Get the electrics installed for now and then shop around for a better price on the towbar and bike rack. That way you're not rushed into hasty decisions

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Electrics? One place, part of the indispension franchise chain, asked about universal or make electrics. Universal he recommended because it's a box on the towbar and easy to replace if there's a problem. Make electrics involves running through the van or special, armoured cable runs underneath the van apparently. The idea is universal is easier to fix if needed.

Which would you do?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Electrics? One place, part of the indispension franchise chain, asked about universal or make electrics. Universal he recommended because it's a box on the towbar and easy to replace if there's a problem. Make electrics, he said, would need internal wiring or messing about with special, external cable ducting, more difficult to sort out problems.

What's your opinion?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Finally collected our van. Wow! We've got one of the first roofs out of the mold. Drive Lodge garage roof and one of the only two brands that nature roofs for swb, new model Vivaro.

The roof has a spoiler at the front and is actually quite deep at the back. However it fits into the lower rain channel so doesn't add much height to the van. Inside the bed boards hinge right at the back and fold a little in from the back. This means the short part of the board goes up with the lower lift back of the roof and the longer part then followed the line of the elevating roof when up? This means you've got a decent headroom? I'm 6'5" tall and find it's very good. I believe the alternative roof for my van model costs £2000 more and doesn't have this better design board.

The new side windows look very nice and the LEDs are great too.

It's a part conversion but it'll do us for a year or two until we save the rest of the money needed for a kitchen. Very pleased with it.

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Van is partway through conversion but we've hit a snag. We can't get a fiamma or Thule bike rack that can carry 3 or perhaps 4 bikes. It's because more than 2 bikes would be too heavy for the door.

So we're talking about tow bar and bike rack. We wanted to avoid a tow bar because that stick out and affect the rear sensors, or could do. Plus the hassle of storing the bike rack when not in use. No garage. The permanently attached rack would have no storage issues and if one of us needed picking up with our bike then it's always there v ready for use.

We've had a quote for detachable towbar, universal single electrics (oe loom could be difficult to access after full conversion) and Thule 3 bike rack for £1080 after 10% discount has been applied for buying both together. That's a shock price. The bar costs £700 alone!! The rack£505. The fixed towbar costs£360.

Any good places for towbars in Lancashire or Cumbria? Which would you /have you gone for?
Wait! Wait! Weight! (See what I did there.....)

Barn doors or tail gate?

If its a tail gate, you should be able to get stronger pneumatic struts? I got some for my VW T6 tail gate. Can now carry 2 adult bikes and two smaller bikes for the kids. If I don't carry the bikes, I can carry logs for the fire pit, a bow saw, axe, a trasheroo, and a 20ltr fuel can. Tailgate still lifts and holds open.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE