JonathanD's Deval Bushcrafter- my experience

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
A couple of weeks ago i was up in Kinver with JonathanD and Davey569 looking for Adders and other Native Reptiles.

Jonathan brought a couple of his own design "Deval Bushcrafter" knives along for the day and was kind enough to let me have a go with them :)

DSC00617.jpg

Here is my BG bushie (left) along with Jonathan's stag and O1 Deval Bushie (Right)

the one tested had antler scales, 4mm spine and was in O1 tools steel.

First thing i noticed about the knife was its sze, very large thick handle, nicley shaped and a large "humpback" spear point blade.

The large handle was very comfortable and filled my whole hand giving a great ammount of grip.

DSC00631.jpg

the blade was about 4mm with a deep slightly hollow scandi grind and a secondary bevel to add strength.

in use the knife is very comfortable, the hump in the back of the blade gives a bit more stability for when choking up on the blade and using the tip for fine work.

the nice deep grind sliced through wood cleanly and efficently when whittling a point, giving a good ammount of control and accomplished the task with Ease.

being quite a large knife it also did a great task at felling a small birch sapling, using a leuku style grip to take bown the 1.5" sapling in a couple of fast swipes.

the knife is made by stu mitchel and designed by JonathanD, the scales are fitted cleanly and crisply with no signs of scale shrinkage or defects.

all in all an amazing design of bushcraft knife, nicley executed.

a big thanks to Jonathan for letting me use it :)

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cheers for the kind words Josh. A couple of people have asked me to do a write up for it, but as it's designed by me for me, it would be massively biased as brilliant. It's good to see a POV on the knife from someone who knows how to use a knife well.

How did you like the full flat RWL-34 streamlined version?

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
the RWL34 version feels completly different, its an interesting steel. the knife is much lighter aswell, and due to the full flat it cuts with less resistance, i also realy like the almost tactical feel the scales give off.

pm box cleared :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE