JML vacume sealer, any body use it?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Watched a horrid infomertial last night regarding these, presenters terrible but the kit looked OK, has any had any experience of it? thinking of the boil in the bag bit as I do like a nice seasoned goulash with my brew!

pf_F1017.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I nearly asked the same question myself last night Dave, I was looking at them on ebay for when I dehydrate some camping meals.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
It must be a great minds thing!! If the bags are as sturdy as they look i think it's a go'er, I never trust zip lock and being able to use the same bag over again till there's not enough room appeals too, might have to get one for a try out?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I bought up all the stock of Pour & Store bags at Home Bargains the other day, those things are really thick so I reckon they'll be up to boiling water into a dehydrated meal. Not sure how they'll work with the vac packer though ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd say they were similar thickness as a plastic cement bag, I'll dig one out later and do a scrunch test

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
I had one in 1986...lasted for 3 years and was used almost daily.

Great gismo, but in those days you had to use the special bag that came on a roll. It wasn't separate bags, it came on a roll which was about 10" wide, sealed at both sides but open top and bottom. So you cut it horizontally to the length you wanted and then sealed one end, inserted your stuff then sucked out the air and heat seal the top. I can't speak for this new model but I am currently going down the route of mylar bags and a heat seal (don't need the vacuum).

I would recommend the system if you need to keep things airtight (especially as the technology is probably better now)

Cheers
Sack

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
My mates got one and its a pretty handy bit of kit, using it to get away from the price and uncertainty of rat packs. Liquids are hard to deal with but can be frozen before packing in the shape of your choice, heat sealing is IMO quite inconsistent but definitely gets better as you get the knack.
The bags still come on a roll with this sealer but aren't overly expensive and can be rinsed and reused when you get them home, we spoke about cutting the bag twice the needed length so there's plenty to allow re-use as you lose around an inch every time with cutting and re-sealing.
We found them especially good for prepping veg for a stew so we could get it straight on the bubble on arrival while we built shelters and beds etc.

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
I have a similar but better one. Use it all the time for making home made ration packs, freezing and storing lefttovers, and packing things away. They're more useful than you think once you have one.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I used some of the lakeland 'boil in the bag' bags as a try out. Alas as soon as it touched the pot sides it melted but would love to know if this worked.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Just had a look at the Lakeland Plastics website as I remember seeing one on there before. For all intensive purposes it looks the same as the JML one apart from the badging but quite a bit cheaper! Look here, http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13763/Seal-a-Meal

It's worthwhile reading the reviews, very mixed. One final thing is that the blurb states that it can be boiled in the bag to reheat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE