JerkyTime

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Right folks, My new Dehydrator has arrived and ready for some testing. I have got a nice piece of lean beef from John my butcher and it's in the freezer for a little time to make slicing easier. I am preparing the marinate and then will allow it to soak up overnight.
1 / Now should I heat the meat before drying it.

2 / what health risks are there? (ouch my fingers)

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Your best bet is to do a quick search for jerky as this has been discussed a few times and I'm pretty sure that British Red did a tutorial some time ago.

Good luck with the jerky and let us know how it turns out :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Good idea with freezing it, but you don't want it frozen solid. Once you have sliced it, a Mora does a good job, chuck it in your marinade overnight. Ensure you have out tonnes of tabasco in to sort the men from the boys!

Next day, take it out, lay it on your trays and set it going. Check it and turn it every now and then. Store wrapped in greaseproof paper or in a cotton bag or similar, don't use a plastic bag.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I made my first batch of jerky last night & it is delicious! :cool:

I was rooting throught the fridge and found the beef joint for Sunday dinner and thought that looks huge so why not make some jerky?

Marinade was made from Worstershire sauce, English mustard, cracked black pepper and a little garlic. I cut the beef across the grain in thin slices and dried it in the oven on its lowest setting, for about 2.5 hours.

Even SWMBO likes it - although I think I overdid it a bit on the quantity. I'm safe until dinner at least and then everybody will be on half rations of roast beef! Oh well, we can always bulk it out with more mash! :D

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE