Jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

BenR

I want to try making jerky (beef to begin with). Can anyone give me a basic set of intructions to get me started?

Cheers

Ben

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I'm still only a neophyte jerky-maker (if indeed there is such a title :shock: ) - I've been using a food dehydrator - which has been my cue to dry just about anything I can cram into it...

I partially freeze the meat for up to an hour, depending on the size; then slice across the grain into about 5mm thick slices. Sling them in a suitable marinade - current one is soy, Lea & Perrins, pepper, garlic, ginger, anything else that seemed a good idea, a bit of ketchup... Marinade overnight in the fridge, then dry at about 75C for 7-8 hours.

There's a few recipes at http://www.ezidri.co.uk/ (the lot I bought my dryer from).

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
If you just want Jerky to scoff then I agree that the Wild west stuff is good, our thoughts on it are in the reviews section. I got some good stuff from Costco the other day as well

Oct 30, 2003
Cornwall
It is possible to make excellent biltong which I think is better than jerky.
Start with a low fat cut of meat and soak in vinegar overnight.
In the vinegar disolve lots of salt, coriander and pepper.
After you have soaked it wring the meat out and hang out to dry in a dry and well aired position. Dont put it in the oven or above a radiator as the fat will go into solution and give a greasy feel.
Leave a for a few days or even weeks until you are happy with it being dry.
By the way you do this at your own risk.. sorry I cant take responsibilty for any food poisoning etc.
Regards
Ian Maxwell

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE