Jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
There's a good article on here about making oven jerky. I started using that method but since got a dehydrator which is a great way of making it.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
On my phone at the minute, but I'll put a link up when I get back to my desktop. Try searching for 'oven jerky'

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its easy enough to do with a sharp knife and a dehydrator (which can be had for around £30) - slice thin, marinade, dry well, store properly. That's all there is to it!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Personally I would never make jerky from pork for safety reasons - IMO pork needs to be cooked thoroughly rather than dried. I stick to beef, venison and the like

Atehequa

May 27, 2013
Tsenacommacah
We usually make ours from buck venison rather than doe. Cut into thin rectangular slices with the grain and usually marinaded overnight in various marinades which include a few drops or so of liquid smoke. Sprinkled with a little black pepper it goes into our dehydrator between 12 and 24 hours. We've also smoke dried venison over a low hickory fire. It goes with us on the hunt, fishing expeditions, hiking trails or at camp as a snack.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Ah well. It's Christmas. So, after reading this and the British Red thread about jerky, I took the plunge. :eek:

I bought the Andrew James dehydrator for my wife's Christmas:lmao:

She didn't even know that she wanted one!!!

British Red and Toddy...I'll have a few questions for you soon.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good on you - and ask away - plenty more dehydrator threads of mine on here for other stuff (like fruit leathers)

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
You'll love it, home made Jerky is certainly the best.

Just remember to marinade it well for a good 12-24 hours and season to taste, if you don't like the seasoning to start with then you won't like it when it's done!

For those without a dehydrator you can use the oven turned down low and leave the door open. Or you can make your own meat dryer with a cardboard box and an old lamp.
Search online for "Biltong Box" and you'll get loads of ideas.

Alternatively dry it high over a fire in the old fashioned way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE