Jerky wanted

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
im looking for some decent Jerky, beef - moose - mammoth / yak - not too worried as long as its nice! - ideally smoked not spicey as hell stuff

cant buy it in the shops here in ireland and there are 101 suppliers on ebay but seem to only do the smally little retail type bags

im looking for some nice 'moist' ( yeah i know it is dried) tasty stuff, and i dont have time/ patience to make my own
anyone ideas / links/ pointers or is anyone here willing to part with some?

pm's welcome or reply
thanks for your time all

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I don't see why you don't make your own, you can tailor it to your tastes and it doesn't take that long of actual doing. I think it took me ten minutes to slice the beef and trim off fat, say another five to load up the various ingredients and beef into ziplocs to get the flavour into the meat, and then a few minutes the next day to get it in the dehydrator, you could of course use the oven/radiator/airing cupboard. So about twenty minutes of your life, not a total waste of time!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
From what I've heard, stick it on glass and pop it on the top. That may be fruit leathers though, coming to think about it, but it may work! You could put a wire rack above the radiator and it would have the same effect, probably better than a piece of glass..

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I bought some of Martin's jerky and fruit leather at the Wilderness Gathering - very good stuff. If, like me, you haven't seen jerky before and want to make your own, it's worthwhile getting some 'professional' stuff so you can see what it's like - so you know what you are aiming for when you make your own. The one batch that I have made so far went mouldy quickly and was much thicker than the nice thin sheets from Martin.

BTW - did anyone see him on Dragon's Den? I don't watch the program myself, but my daughter called me through to the living room, saying "Is that your jerky man?" I only caught the tail end of his slot. I've seen snippets of the program since and, personally, I can understand why I don't continue to watch it. Making a brew at the bottom of the garden is much more fun, interesting, educational, relaxing, etc., etc., etc.

Geoff

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Well the Jerky arrived and I must say thanks for the recommendation - damn tasty stuff! I also bought his extra hot but haven't built up the courage to try that yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE