jerky cuts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Hi all,
Im sure this topic has been discussed many times but i couldnt find an answer to this so hope someone wont mind pointing me in the right direction. i did find one comment about what i think must be an american cut.

What cuts of beef are good for making jerky?

Also i presume the cut would be the same no matter the animal, ut things like Elk are less fatty so maybe would use a different cut?

But mainly the beef question please!

Thanks

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
I use London Broil (American cut) not sure what its called here. But any cut with low fat would work. I lightly freeze it so that it is slightly hard then cut it with a meat slicer set to about 1/8". Marinaid over night in the fridge. Then hang.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I've used most cuts so far. I tend to look for something reasonably lean (or with the fat in the right places to easily and economically cut out) and in the sale. So far I haven't really found a difference between the cuts.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As said, many cuts will work,

The cheapest way if working in quantity is to get a good lean roasting joint and carve it to the thickness of slice that you want.

The key to good jerky is to cut each slice "across the grain" so that the fibres run horizontal acroos the thin strip and not vertically along it - this means its easy to bite a piece off without pulling your teeth out. As you chew, it renders to smaller, easier swallowed pieces and not long strings like celery.

If you are experimenting, try the thin "minute steaks" available in many supermarkets

If loaded, A good sirloin at about £10 a kilo makes great jerky :D

Red

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Well i did manage to get some discouted sirloin which is why i asked :)
I thought the meat was cut along the grain ...? just from reading elsewhere.
Ah i might just have a go and see what happens!!

cheers

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
As said, many cuts will work,

The cheapest way if working in quantity is to get a good lean roasting joint and carve it to the thickness of slice that you want.

The key to good jerky is to cut each slice "across the grain" so that the fibres run horizontal acroos the thin strip and not vertically along it - this means its easy to bite a piece off without pulling your teeth out. As you chew, it renders to smaller, easier swallowed pieces and not long strings like celery.

If you are experimenting, try the thin "minute steaks" available in many supermarkets

If loaded, A good sirloin at about £10 a kilo makes great jerky :D

Red

when i make jerky i tend to buy the cheap tesco value steaks - they tend to be around £2 for a reasonable amount of meat - you just have to cut out all the fat and gristle.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Better cuts give better jerky IMHO, its worth the extra price for sirloin to be honest, I don't like the stuff but I make it for friends from time to time and they seem happy with the sirloin.

The last batch was OK even for me, sirloin, soy sauce, garlic powder and Chinese five spice :)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i would say topside,braising steak and rump but any will bo with low ish fat marbeling content as it keeps the meat moist and prone to spoiling....

hope this helps....chris...

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Recently, a friend asked me if I wanted a piece of jerky, an naturally, I said "yes." It was the best piece of jerky I have every eaten, and I have eaten more than my fair share.

After I told him it was great, he informed me it was Goose. I would have never guessed that it was bird and not beef.

I tried to get the recipe out of him but he said it was his mother's and she wouldn't give it up.

Might be something you want to try.

ashab1

Feb 17, 2010
Northwest
Anybody used ox heart im very tempted to give it a go also would a slow cooker with the lid slightly open dry out the meat

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Anybody used ox heart im very tempted to give it a go also would a slow cooker with the lid slightly open dry out the meat

there was a thread about using offal on here a while ago.

I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use heart.

not sure on the slow cooker front. I literally have a batch in the oven as we speak.

andy

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i used topside, got it off the meat counter in waitrose and got them to slice it in their slicer machine. seasoned it with cayman pepper and garlic salt rub overnight then hung it in the oven for 7hrs on 100 degrees c. worked ok for me but i expect my elec bill will be big lol..... was thinking of getting a dehydrator sometime

pilsbury

Feb 14, 2010
essex / London
I always use rump for my Jerky and slice with the grain to make it a bit more chewy, after all its better if it lasts a while or I eat far to much of it.

Madpuppy

Dec 7, 2009
Blair, Nebraska U.S.A.
I'm with pilsbury, I use Rump Roast and cut with. I mix my jerky seasoning in with a 1/2 liter water and pour over 8 pounds of sliced meat, toss well then smoke in the propane smoker with mesquite wood chips for 4-6 hours, mmmmm good!

Feb 25, 2010
Kent
If i can add a few peneth worth....
Having spent 3 months on South Africa 2yrs ago...
You can't beat beef "billtong"
It even stopped my teething daughter's screaming.
Now available from a number of SA shops in this country!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Cool thanks all,
I have some brisket im about to play with.

Wonder how the heart went..anyone who tried it...?
Sounds like it would be close gained and therefore more chewy maybe but i no nothing about jerky so only a thought :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE