Jelly Ear fungus

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Funny you say that Bernie, Lou and I were discussing this on our wander. I have named it "Red's Rule of Recognition". The best manifestation is perhaps the cramp ball. They are very hard to find - the first time. Thereafter the flipping things are everywhere. The same rule seems to apply to ramsoms, pignuts etc.

I think they are timid things, but they stop hiding after you capture the first one.

I'm now off to look for leprechauns again :D

Red

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Funny you say that Bernie, Lou and I were discussing this on our wander. I have named it "Red's Rule of Recognition". The best manifestation is perhaps the cramp ball. They are very hard to find - the first time. Thereafter the flipping things are everywhere. The same rule seems to apply to ramsoms, pignuts etc.

I think they are timid things, but they stop hiding after you capture the first one.

Red

I think your right red its the same with merrels and blewits once you know what to look for you can find them easily,and theres plenty down your neck of the woods,used to collect buckets full around hambledon and denmead.

Bernie

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll

Red

It was mentioned in HFW mushroom guide, in much the same way. Once you train your eyes to see the various mushrooms you suddenly start seeing them everywhere. The example he gave was the Horn of Plenty I think, as it's fairly well camouflaged. It doesn't help I should wear glasses for close up things, but can't wear them outside, makes me dizzy, of course some people my say dizzier.. :D

Cheers, Nag.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
i tried this fungi in a stew a few weeks back i also know it as jews ear I must say I found it pretty taistless and rather chewy

myheadsashed

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2007
East Yorkshire
Aye tasteless and chewy, but it could be used to add texture to a dish. We cooked some up last weekend. Straight off the tree into butter, bloody stuff kept popping out of the pan. It had rained the night before so may have absorbed alot of water.
the latin translates to Jews Ear. If I remember this is because Judas was hanged in an elder tree, it grows more commonly on them. Found mostly in winter and spring, but can be found throughout the year.
Let us know how you cook it up BR. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE