Jelly Ear fungus

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well had what could only be described as a "micro bimble" today (with Lou1661 - what a nice fellah). I saw (right on the farm too) some fungi which I am 99.9% certain are Jelly Ear fungi

2337425021_837798d547_o.jpg

2338257642_4a9bb9d17d_o.jpg

Can anyone confirm (where's moonraker when you need him?) and suggest any good recipes other than my normal standby of fried in butter on toast?

ATB Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like them :D
Snip them into fine strips with shears and dry them.
They keep very well, then soak in hot water and add to stir fry for a kind of firm bite of a texture.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aaahh - suitable for bunging through the dehydrator then? :)

Uhuh, but it dries so easily if just left spreadout on a plate. I usually get jelly ear on elder, in fact it's coming out of an old dead branch sitting in my stash of sticks at the side of the house right now :cool:
atb,

cheers,
Toddy

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
We call it Judas's ear,and it`s found mostly on black elder,I don't like for it has no particular taste,but it can be eaten raw like salad.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Raw is interesting - thanks mariobab!

Never think to try many fungi raw - but I like raw mushroom so why not?

I'll have a nibble next time I stroll by!

Red

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I think I remember it mentioned in HFW's mushroom guide as being great when mixed in with other mushrooms - a mushroom salad as it were, as it added a lovely crunchy texture compared to the others. What about using a good splash of lemon juice or olive oil with a but of crushed garlic with some lettuce leaves or on bruschetta with some lovely fresh tomatoes?

Nag.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Jews, Jelly ear rolls, from Wild food by Roger Phillips..

Serves 4.
225g (8oz) Jews ears
50g (2oz) butter
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
a pinch of thyme
parsley
salt & pepper
white bread

Wash the Jews ears well and dry on kitchen towel. Simmer in the butter with the garlic, thyme, parsley and seasoning. When tender, after cooking for approximately 20 - 30 mins, spoon onto slices of bread with crusts removed (the much despised, white sliced bread really works best, but any will do), roll each into a little sausage and secure with a toothpick. Put on dish and brown the oven or under the grill, first dotting with butter.
For Elizabeth Smart of Bungay.
This is a most successful recipe.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I've never tried any other fungus other than whats commercially available in supermarkets. Have to say I'm not a great fan of them. Although I do enjoy them in things, just not tham as the main ingredient. What do these ears taste like - if you can explain them in a non mushroomy way? :D

Nag.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
When is the best time of year to forage this fungus? I know that they're around in winter and that they are one of the few fungi to survive being frozen, but can they be harvested and frozen at home?

My appologies for going off topic earlier.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
When is the best time of year to forage this fungus? I know that they're around in winter and that they are one of the few fungi to survive being frozen, but can they be harvested and frozen at home?

My appologies for going off topic earlier.

Its found all year round.and no probs freezeing it,we just use it in stews.

Bernie

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jews, Jelly ear rolls, from Wild food by Roger Phillips..

Serves 4.
225g (8oz) Jews ears
50g (2oz) butter
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
a pinch of thyme
parsley
salt & pepper
white bread

Wash the Jews ears well and dry on kitchen towel. Simmer in the butter with the garlic, thyme, parsley and seasoning. When tender, after cooking for approximately 20 - 30 mins, spoon onto slices of bread with crusts removed (the much despised, white sliced bread really works best, but any will do), roll each into a little sausage and secure with a toothpick. Put on dish and brown the oven or under the grill, first dotting with butter.
For Elizabeth Smart of Bungay.
This is a most successful recipe.

Now thats the puppy - thank you Jon :)

As a personal twist though I will substitute some ramsoms for the garlic I think - makes it all the more "wild foody" :)

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Now thats the puppy - thank you Jon :)

As a personal twist though I will substitute some ramsoms for the garlic I think - makes it all the more "wild foody" :)

Red

I agree, let me know if you try the recipe and what its like. It appeals to me. Will try it for myself if I come across some..
Wild food is a book I think you would like Red, it has some good ideas on cooking wild food...
As does Ray and Gordons Wild food..

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Red,
In Richard Mabey's Food for Free it sugests stewing for 3/4 of an hour in stock or milk and serving with plenty of pepper, or
Chinese style soup
25g Jelly ears,
800g brown sugar crystals,
500ml Water
1) Clean and soak the fungi and chop roughly.
2) Heat the sugar and water until the sugar melts and the mixture is almost boiling.
3) Drain the ears, add to the syrup and steam for 1 1/2 hrs. Serve hot or cold.

Seems to me that might be a bit sweet but hey ho might be worth a crack!
Lou

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
How common is the ear fungus in scotland? I know my eyes aren't mushroom trained as it were, but I can't recall seeing much of this one. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places. I think I'd like to try some of these much talked about 'shrooms.

Cheers, Nag.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
I have deleted various posts from this thread. British Red chose to use the term 'Jelly Ear' as one of the numerous names in common usage for this particular fungus. His thread - his rules. Dragging the thread off topic so people can voice their personal gripes at perceived 'political correctness' is beside the point, off the topic and unacceptable.

Now back to recipes..

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Red,
In Richard Mabey's Food for Free it sugests stewing for 3/4 of an hour in stock or milk and serving with plenty of pepper, or
Chinese style soup
25g Jelly ears,
800g brown sugar crystals,
500ml Water
1) Clean and soak the fungi and chop roughly.
2) Heat the sugar and water until the sugar melts and the mixture is almost boiling.
3) Drain the ears, add to the syrup and steam for 1 1/2 hrs. Serve hot or cold.

Seems to me that might be a bit sweet but hey ho might be worth a crack!
Lou
Not sure about that one Louis - sounds like sugar soup with a hint of mushroom! Still, worth a try as you say!

Red

B

bushyboo

How common is the ear fungus in scotland? I know my eyes aren't mushroom trained as it were, but I can't recall seeing much of this one. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places. I think I'd like to try some of these much talked about 'shrooms.

Cheers, Nag.

There is plenty of it up here Nagual well there is in west lothian :rolleyes:

Gordon

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk

Cheers, Nag.

The fungus is widespread across the uk Nag, once you know what your looking for you'll find it easily.

Bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE