JD just has to watch this ( snake related )

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Bit disturbing that. The cobras in the first shot that are striking her, clearly have their mouths sown shut. I've seen the same thing on many occasion in India and it is common practice. A cobra that is hissing and with hood flared is not happy and is not being friendly. They are warning her that they are scared and will bite if provoked. They are trying too, but can't. It's just a sad publicity scam.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Yes, there's an awful lot wrong about this film. Not sure they have their mouths sewn shut though, those look like proper bite marks on her fore arm. I suspect they've ripped the venom sacs out...

I bought my 7 year old daughter a 2 foot corn snake earlier this year. It's the perfect pet and she genuinely adores it. No other pet has ever had the same attention from her as this little beastie. Not only that, but it only needs fed once a week, only poos once or twice per week so easy to clean out, never gets lonely, never gets bored, peaceful, and doesn't need walked (no legs). And it's a very beautiful animal.

A cobra on the other hand, is not a suitable pet for anyone

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yes, there's an awful lot wrong about this film. Not sure they have their mouths sewn shut though, those look like proper bite marks on her fore arm. I suspect they've ripped the venom sacs out...

They don't have the expertise to do that, and a venom gland is just modified saliva so isn't a sure way to make a venomous snake safe. You can tell they are sown shut as the mouths don't open and the strike is affected slightly and the movement is all wrong because they can't move the lower jaw so their neck muscles are restricted towards the end of the ark. Like throwing with your left hand if you're a right hander.

The bite she receives isn't even from a venomous snake. Looks more like a colubrid (non venomous). Too much blood and too many teeth marks to be a venomous snake.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Can't stand snakes, but I don't like seeing anything mistreated.
JD, that's dreadful treatment of snakes. Are the numbers in the wild affected?

When I was a lad in Oz, tiger snakes, dugites and death adders were all fair game. Kill on sight (except I didn't mostly because I was scared of them and didn't see the need anyway). They are all protected species now, due to rapidly dwindling numbers. Habitat stress I guess. They sunbath on roads to and die from being run over.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Can't stand snakes, but I don't like seeing anything mistreated.
JD, that's dreadful treatment of snakes. Are the numbers in the wild affected?

Very much so. The species seen in the video used to be quite common. Less so now. That's why they have a severe problem with rats and foodstock destruction over there. Some species like the King cobra are on the endangered list and wiped out in most areas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE