Jaspers!!!

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
That's a monster!

It would be interesting to see how universal the "jaspers" nickname for wasps is across the UK.

When I was growing up in Somerset, "jaspers" was the local slang both for wasps and the ladies who patrolled the school playground - presumably because they would turn up like wasps at a picnic within seconds of anything interesting happening!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I had one that was a similar size in the loft of a property I lived in about 25 years ago and it was live :yikes:

Had to get the council pest control in to deal with it and the guy hadn't seen one that big before either.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The picture says it all. Thanks. With the entrance tunnel, there might not have been any wasps in the attic. Dark, usually?
"Jaspers" is an unknown term for wasps here.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
To get a wasp to leave you alone all you have to say is "Please Mr Jasper, leave me alone" - the "Mr" is vitally important!

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Used to come across these quite regular when i was roofing, but the wasps were still in residence.

Not the size of that mind, i bet it makes for good tinder :)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cold autumn nights (30F - 40F) are making the wasps really dopey for most of the day.
The queens seem to be able to hibernate but the rest of the colony will soon die.
Then the shrews go into the nests and clean out all the "meat."

I wonder just how many layers of comb would be in a nest that size.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
That's a monster!

It would be interesting to see how universal the "jaspers" nickname for wasps is across the UK.

When I was growing up in Somerset, "jaspers" was the local slang both for wasps and the ladies who patrolled the school playground - presumably because they would turn up like wasps at a picnic within seconds of anything interesting happening!

Jaspers is used for Wasps around these parts in Coventry, Wasps is the local Rugby club.

Trotsky

That's quite a size! We used to find nests in old houses we were renovating back when I was an apprentice, nothing coming close to this though!
I know of the term Jaspers for wasps but, I don't use it myself. I think I picked it up from former workmates from East Riding way. Round here and back in the area of Nottinghamshire I'm from they're usually called "wobbies"

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I only get to see ground nesting, then r badger has fun digging them up to have a munch.
Tend to find that the ground nest seem to be more aggressive and seem to be quite active at the moment.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Well weirdly I heard the term Jasper in reference to a wasp for the first time earlier today then came here and saw this thread just now so I can tell you it's in use in Bucks!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I first heard the name in Hereford .... but it is very wide spread.
I wonder if this is yet another thing that the Romans Did For Us......?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE