Beavers released in Hampshire for first time in 400 years

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
We have them up here in at least four locations within 8 miles. They are brutal in their handiwork and I can see why people would get upset but I think the re-introduction planned and unplanned is great.

Reactions: nigelp

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
We have them up here in at least four locations within 8 miles. They are brutal in their handiwork and I can see why people would get upset but I think the re-introduction planned and unplanned is great.
Are you able to get close enough to actually see them? That would be fantastic.

They seem to be released into very compounds but I guess their bio engineering can affect areas up and downs stream of that. I’m all for it and hope they release more.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
The release here was a while back, I think it was Knapdale. My wife's uncle was part of the environmental impact report I understand. I've had them on wildlife cam a few times and had eyes on once. The key is dawn/dusk although I understand the canoe safari's on the Tay at Perth see them regularly throughout the day. I had a drone up looking for the lodge but if the area isn't suitable to build a lodge they'll take over holes in a bank. They'll strip a fairly large tree of bark in a few days except the bit of the bottom which they can't reach. If it's birch it means there's lots of fire starting material I refer to it as 'beaver birch'.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A great project overall - but, without wishing to start the repeat of arguments on another thread, this is an example of a very rich individual doing something with their own money and by 'land ownership' that the Government (any British Government) cannot do. :)

Reactions: nigelp

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
A great project overall - but, without wishing to start the repeat of arguments on another thread, this is an example of a very rich individual doing something with their own money and by 'land ownership' that the Government (any British Government) cannot do. :)
It is at least a ‘proper’ and genuine conservation effort and a form philanthropic endeavour I can get behind. It is being managed and supported the local wildlife trust etc.

Reactions: Broch

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Are you able to get close enough to actually see them? That would be fantastic.

They seem to be released into very compounds but I guess their bio engineering can affect areas up and downs stream of that. I’m all for it and hope they release more.

These were taken by my own fair ( if somewhat shaky hand )

( My Beavers are in full Technicolor... )

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Beavers are apparently doing their share in defending Ukraine, against the Belorussian border the large swampy areas are wetter than usual because no one has broken beaver dams there during the war.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE