James' Hunting Journey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Currently at the library with my oldest grandson, James. He turned 16 this past Summer so he'll need a hunting license this season (prior to age 16 no license is needed) He'll have to finish a hunter safety course prior to being able to legally hunt alone (or at all after his 16th year) so he's online right now working on the academic portion So far he's completed the chapters on license and conservation, rifle hunting, shotgun hunting, muzzle loader hunting and is currently working on the pistol hunting chapter. The last chapter will be bow hunting. Then we print out his successful completion certificate and wait until his rang/skills day (I've already scheduled him for the next one near us on 3 December)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A small (ish) mistake on my part. The bit of the academic portion I described today was only Module 1. There are 3 more modules to go before he finishes the academic portion. We'll sign back onto the Florida FWC site tomorrow and work on another 2 modules.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
He's done amazingly well so far. Particularly on the muzzle loader chapters considering he's never fired one yet.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ah. The thirsty curiosity of youth. Such a qualification means a lot to the entire community.
I suppose James has been hunting already. Anything in particular?

I've come to sense that the rules for hunting and fishing in the UK are an extraordinary tangle.
How do you even know who's in charge? Of where?

Our fishing regs are going that way. It's so hard to figure out what I can and can't do any more.
Hunting is much less complicated for me. I hunt "upland game birds" so there's no tags.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes James has been hunting with me for a few years now. Mostly squirrel until last year when he was selected for the the Eglin (Air Force Base) youth hunt weekend. That included deer, feral hogs, and coyote.

Reactions: Robson Valley

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great stuff. Good to hear he is learning the craft properly.

I have a close friend who will teach my boy the finer points of hunting. I am afraid his dads incessant need to whittle something or identify something will get in the way of serious hunting :)

Its good to know your limits :)

Reactions: Robson Valley

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Lucky boy, growing up with a grandfather that takes him hunting!

I´m curious to what you hunt or in what type of hunting you do with a pistol?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You can hunt pretty much anything with a pistol that you'd hunt with a rifle. Especially if it's specifically configured for hunting

handgun%20for%20hunting.JPG

Most of that is well beyond anything I'll ever be capable of and the only things I've personally hunted with a pistol were squirrels and raccoons (and that was decades ago) Both with .22LRs. However I've known pots of hunters who carry a pistol as a back-up; particularly when hunting more dangerous game out west.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
He took and successfully completed Module 3 today. Tomorrow we'll spend all day on the Thanksgiving feast and he'll spend the rest of the weekend with his cousins his own age. Hopefully Monday I'll get his momentum back up to finish the course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE