Jacket selection-Help please! regatta, dare 2 b or...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Hi everyone!
Looking for a jacket for winter hill walking. I have a northridge softshell that i use loads which is great but it doesn't give me the confidence that it will stand upto severe conditions if i need it to. Preferably very waterproof and not too heavy. I've been looking and seen a couple of ebay/net deals and wanted some opinions! All of the below are around the £30 mark which seems a absolute bargain!

http://www.outdoorlook.co.uk/regatta-x-pro-skyridge-3-in-1-jacket-rg020#

looks really good plus has a detachable liner which could be useful?

http://www.regattaworkwear.com/Regatta-Trekmax-Workwear-Jacket
Very similar but seems more of a softshell design detachable hood etc...

OR

http://www.dare2b.com/winter-sale/stand-off-jacket.html

dont know much about dare 2 b or how waterproof this would be??? i know its a ski jacket but the technology seems to be there plus the features look good..

andy help/experiences would be great!
andy

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Sportsdirect and GoOutdoors are both cheap shops, I have a HIGEAR softshell jacket, with hood and light fleece lining. I have used it since Oct. hillwalking/climbing and snowboarding. Weathers from heavy rain, blizzards, wet snow etc. It's very windproof, waterproof and not wetted through. I have not used it sitting about in heavy rain eg when having a snack at a summit cairn, but it's a very good jacket. The hood velcro easily blows off in strong wind. It has cinching bungees around the waist but is a bit short for snowboarding, you tend to sit on the snow.

It's also very breathable, especially when climbing uphill. I should have bought a bigger size so I can wear it over a fleece and get more movement. But it was bought as a wear to work jacket, teaching, so bought it black and for £29 it was/is a bargain. The zip has not failed which was the problem on my last cheap jacket.

Here is a decent Craghopper softshell
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/craghoppers-ichiro-hooded-track-softshell-jacket-p213365

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
thanks guys! wanted something a bit heavier duty than a softshell as i have one already. there seems some really good deals on the dare 2 b stuff but the "ski" jacket thing is putting me off even though most are rated to 20,000 mm hh ....

joewalton1989

Mar 23, 2013
Leicester
If you can stretch to their prices I'd recommend a Buffalo jacket.

Mine is a hand me down of my dads he gave me a few years back... He'd had it nearly 20 years and it still works a treat. I fact I've worn it all week due to the fantastic snow and cold. I read a blog about one where two guys went hillwalking in Scotland in winter one wore a buffalo with attachable hood with no base/mid layer the other wore a base and mid layer as well as a big heavy duty winter jacket. The blog seemed pretty adamant the buffalo wearer was most satisfied by the end of the walk... However come to think of it it could have been on a site affiliated with buffalo. Either way I'm sold on mine. Will be wearing it later this year for toasty warm wild camping

The only problem with my buffalo is the colour, but I'm colour blind so it's only an issue for those who have to look at me.

On the topic of regattas I own an isotex 5000 jacket that held up really well in biting winds and rain. I prefer jackets with hoods that roll up into the collar as that way they don't collect water. I got it from tk max which isn't consistent for outdoor clothing but well worth keeping an eye on as I also got a dare 2b long sleeve base layer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE