Jacket recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dec 19, 2003
Cardiff, UK
I posted this thread over on BritishBlades and it was recommended that I ask for advice here.

"I'm looking for a multipurpose kind of jacket-I bought my first windproof fleece 9 years ago and I still wear it today, but I need something new. I wear it all year round. I was hoping to find something with the warmth of my Sprayway down jacket but that I can use in the rain! The kind of thing I'm looking for would enable me to go out in snow in the UK wearing only a T-shirt underneath it like I could in my sprayway, but with wind and water resistance. I don't care if I actually get wet, as long as I'm still warm. For this reason I've been looking at pile/pertex, microfibre/pertex or maybe even the so-called 'soft-shell' jackets. The less bulk and movement restriction the better ie. I'm not looking at skiwear.

Would pile/pertex be too warm for my intended use-maybe something like one of those Rab microfleece lined things (vapour trail) instead?

Could anyone with any thoughts/recommendations please chime in?"

Afterthoughts: hardwearing as possible please!

Hi to everyone on the forum by the way!

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I own a snugpak pile shirt that fits your description. I like it... lots of good features such as large front pockets, thumb loops in the sleeves, stuff sack and zipper vents ot the side for if you get too hot. Looks great too provided you are ok with green. It really does get toasty in this jacket. i wore it when doing a mildly strenuous hill climb with a hat and just a t-shirt underneath about a month ago and halfway up wiahed i left the t-shirt and hat at home!

Buffalo systems also do versions (pertex/pile their idea I think??) so check them too.

Dec 19, 2003
Cardiff, UK
Any ideas on the sizing? Couldn't find any mention on the Snugpak site, and I'm an odd shape (said the 11 stone, 6'2" man...)

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I'm 5'11" and originally ordered a medium but this was way, way too big. Returned it and got a small which is still very roomy and the sleeves are nice and long, so my recommendation would be for a small. I think!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
999 - I would also have a look at Páramo gear if I was you. They can run a bit warm but with just a T under it you would be fine. It has everything you’re looking for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE