Jacket Choice (Waterproof)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Hi

I'm confused (easily done!). I am currently looking for a new waterproof jacket. I have an old Regatta one that I have had for about 8 years and Gore Tex like s95 issue jacket, both have done me fine but both make me sweat alot and also penetrate (plus not so keen on wearing to much camo). I have a snugpak "buffalo" copy which is good for light showers and keeps me warm, I carry an army poncho most places as well which is also good.

Finances for this isn't to much of an issue (within reason). I will mainly be using out and about in the woods or walking the dog in the rain. I do get very hot in my current stuff so breathability is an issue! But I also need to improve my layering, me thinks! I am a big lad, (other hobby is weightlifting) so sizing can be an issue, I have a 50inch chest with a 36 inch waist, as well as having an upper body longer than my legs, so the right fit will be tough.

I have searched through the previouse threads and a few material options have come up

Ventile
Seems to be good if you need breathability and durability but not so great on being water proof. Is this the case? How soon will you get wet in a downpour?
I like the look of the CAIRNGORM by west winds
http://www.west-winds.co.uk/

Gore Tex xcr, Good water proofing and improved durability over older versions. Issues with breathability and doesn't perform well when dirty. How much of an issue is the breathability? Is it really that durable

E-vent
Good water proofing with improved breathability over gortex, just a few issues with durability simular issues with dirt. Have read a few reports of delamination after heavy use
Currently like the look of this one but not to sure of the cut as I have a long upper body.
http://www.rathbonesofkeswick.co.uk/item/prod/rab-suilven-jacket/168/

Paramo
Good waterproofing and breathability but is hot?

Omni tech, Good waterproofing and durability, can't find much about it's breathability. Due to it's construction it shouldn't be affected by dirt, apparently.
Quite like this one, but haven't been able to find a stockest in the uk.
http://www.columbia.com/Product.aspx?top=1&p=3499&cat=110&viewAll=False

I am being drawn to the ventile, but am worrid I will get wet too easily, the problem is that I have no real experiance of these fabrics, so I would really value your opions! I am trying not to repeat any threads, sorry if anyone feels as though I am.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I use a Deerhunter Montana 5 in 1 jacket. It gives me the flexibility I require and was reasonably priced. I am a big bloke, 54" chest, long back, big tummy, you get the picture. I do not take the biggest size so sizing shouldn't be an issue.

The jacket offers the flexibilty I require by being modular. it has three major components and a hood. These being the outer, a soft synthetic material with a suede finish; the waterproof drop liner which secures to the outer with a series of poppers; and the fleece inner coat which zips and poppers in to the coat.

The coat can be worn all as one in winter and incredibly warm. You can also wear the fleece as a stand alone garment. You can wear the outer with the drop liner in as a waterproof breathable coat. You can wear the outer with the fleece zipped in as a waterproof breathable jacket and finally you can wear the outer alone as a lightweight breathable shirt.

The outer garment has loads of pockets and is equipped with pit zips to allow your armpits to breathe.

It is available in civilian Realtree camo or olive green.

I've had the coat for two years and have used it in some foul weather in which it has profromed flawlessly without exception. The only downside is that it is incredibly bulky, I have taken to wearing a 100 weight micro fleece under mine and it is fine.

The coat is available from hunting and fishing suppliers such as www.bushwear.co.uk (no affiliation etc.)

Hope that this is useful.

Stewey. :D

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Hi Atross

Ventile gets my vote for the following reasons:

1 Its great around the fire
2 Ventile packs up small in the rucksack
3 It's more breathable than any gortex I have ever worn
4 It dries quick (mine is single layer ventile!)
5 It weighs very little
6 It is very quiet (if your into wildlife)
7 Very comfortable and allows you to move easily

With regards to its waterproof ability, all I can say is I have used mine in some horrendous weather and I have had very little problem.

I believe any so called "waterproof garment" has its limitations. Anything that is designed to keep you dry from the outside in, usually keeps you wet from the inside out!

One mans opinion!

Nick

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'll give you another man's opinion! I would put a vote in for Paramo. I manage a team of Countryside Rangers and most now have both Paramo jackets and trousers. Our reasons are; it is ethically produced, can be reproofed easily, can be repaired by sewing if it gets ripped and, very importantly, doesn't make a noise when you are wildlife watching. Personally I don't buy the 'too hot' argument. If it rains in hot weather I wear the jacket over a tee shirt. In winter many Goretex jackets can be cold, especially if you stand about a bit. Paramo has a better feel about it and most jackets come in a range of colours. Finally, it is no more expensive than any good Goretex or Ventile jacket. :)

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
nipper said:
With regards to its waterproof ability, all I can say is I have used mine in some horrendous weather and I have had very little problem.
Cheers Nipper

What do you mean by very little problem? I've read things like "Gets Very Stiff" "Feels Like Cardboard"

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
fred gordon said:
I'll give you another man's opinion! I would put a vote in for Paramo. I manage a team of Countryside Rangers and most now have both Paramo jackets and trousers. Our reasons are; it is ethically produced, can be reproofed easily, can be repaired by sewing if it gets ripped and, very importantly, doesn't make a noise when you are wildlife watching. Personally I don't buy the 'too hot' argument. If it rains in hot weather I wear the jacket over a tee shirt. In winter many Goretex jackets can be cold, especially if you stand about a bit. Paramo has a better feel about it and most jackets come in a range of colours. Finally, it is no more expensive than any good Goretex or Ventile jacket. :)

Cheers Fred

The "hot" thing was the only real concern I had over this as I get very hot very quickly. Will have to do a bit more reaserch!

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Big Bad Stu said:
I use a Deerhunter Montana 5 in 1 jacket. It gives me the flexibility I require and was reasonably priced. I am a big bloke, 54" chest, long back, big tummy, you get the picture. I do not take the biggest size so sizing shouldn't be an issue.

The jacket offers the flexibilty I require by being modular. it has three major components and a hood. These being the outer, a soft synthetic material with a suede finish; the waterproof drop liner which secures to the outer with a series of poppers; and the fleece inner coat which zips and poppers in to the coat.

The coat can be worn all as one in winter and incredibly warm. You can also wear the fleece as a stand alone garment. You can wear the outer with the drop liner in as a waterproof breathable coat. You can wear the outer with the fleece zipped in as a waterproof breathable jacket and finally you can wear the outer alone as a lightweight breathable shirt.

The outer garment has loads of pockets and is equipped with pit zips to allow your armpits to breathe.

I've had the coat for two years and have used it in some foul weather in which it has profromed flawlessly without exception. The only downside is that it is incredibly bulky, I have taken to wearing a 100 weight micro fleece under mine and it is fine.

The coat is available from hunting and fishing suppliers such as www.bushwear.co.uk (no affiliation etc.)

Cheers for the response Stewey, had a look at the Jacket it and it is going to be added to the possibles, see what you mean about no issues with size I think one went up to a 6xL!!!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Waterproofs for Bushcrafting ?- my choice is Ventile!
Paramo is good, but not flameproof enough, Gore-tex or other synthetic, not durable enough and too noisy, waxed cotton, I find it too heavy and bulky(what little I have tried)....Ventile works for me!
John

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Big Bad Stu said:

Now this is a coincedence, I was just looking at one of these jackets yesterday in a shooting mag, it sounds quite good and is quite well priced £149 from www.Gamefayre.co.uk and it comes in sizes S - 4XL.
Only thing is do I buy this or a ventile smock - so far priced between £170 - £230.
Ummmm difficult!
I definately know I won't be buying goretex or e-vent I have had both and although they are good for hill walking, their durability in the woods is non existant.

Just my thoughts on the subject!!:)

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Ummmm difficult!
Tell me about it, the only way to truely know is to test it out but that is a bit expensive!

I
definately know I won't be buying goretex or e-vent I have had both and although they are good for hill walking, their durability in the woods is non existant
This is the general feeling I am getting, but if I go down the ventile route what should I expect to happen when it rains?

Just my thoughts on the subject!!:)
They are much appreciated!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When I was growing up, you have ventile or ventile, ventile jackets, tents etc. Its good stuff, but I used to get soaked through up in Snowdonia or the Brecon Beacons.

I've got a sympathetic soft spot for ventile, its lightish, quiet in the woods, windproof and brings back memories, but out on exposed hills I would have gortex or another type of waterproof as backup without a doubt.

I'm forrest camping this weekend, I've got a cotton anorak, but I'll still have my Mera Peak packed, just in case the weather does not improve ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I spent the - rather damp - West Wales meet in a single skin Ventile jkt and trs combi and wore wool under the jacket. I got damp but never wet to the skin. My gear was dry each morning after hanging it under my tarp overnight (I sleep in the raw inside my sleeping bag - do not dwell on this image) - Double Ventile is even more waterproof. Ventile does it for me!
John

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
atross said:
Cheers Nipper

What do you mean by very little problem? I've read things like "Gets Very Stiff" "Feels Like Cardboard"

Mine has been fine, I have had no problem stiffness!

However, mine is single layer. Maybe double layer ventile is different?

All the best
Nick

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John Fenna said:
I spent the - rather damp - West Wales meet in a single skin Ventile jkt and trs combi and wore wool under the jacket. I got damp but never wet to the skin. My gear was dry each morning after hanging it under my tarp overnight (I sleep in the raw inside my sleeping bag - do not dwell on this image) - Double Ventile is even more waterproof. Ventile does it for me!
John

Bah!!!:lmao: You all got there after the heavy stuff had stopped!:lmao: :lmao:

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Just a quick note to further my comments on the Montana jacket. I own a Marmot Glenmore jacket (£300) in Goretex XCR, I have owned a TNF Katchatna Jacket (£300) and I have owner a Lowe Alpine Alpine Flash Jacket (£250).

The Montana at £ 150 is a better jacket than all of them!

L

lukeuk2

i use a berghaus gortex jacket over my cloths for my water proof. i found it very good , it breath's well so its doesnt make u sweat to much and i have never had any problems with it leakening. i also have a army gortex jackets which is not that bad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE