Jack by the hedge - 1st taste

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I enjoy most bushcraft stuff, but when it comes to trying food stuff I am fuzzy. But out walking today armed with my Food 4 free book, I found plenty of Jack by the hedge and I gave it a try and some to the good wife. I hate Garlic, so this was a good leaf to try. I might try some in a salad one day. Any reactions to this plant dear?

Attachments

• JITH.jpg
    JITH.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 244

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
:eek:

I think the image you posted was meant for the post you were composing on another forum! :rolleyes:

:lmao:

That's on eof the oddest images I've seen on the internet - praise indeed! :D

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
To further provide distraction (or draw attention due to bumping the post count :confused: ) our only natural garliccy plant that is not a member of the onion family is Jack by the hedge which is actually a member of the cabbage family.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Jack by the hedge which is actually a member of the cabbage family.

Which is why it can get unpleasantly acrid if picked and kept for too long. Try a layer of really fresh young leaves in a cheddar sandwich (but use proper cheese whith a tang, not some namby pamby mild stuff!). It's a good combo.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Perhaps the image is of Jack...and he was found by (or, indeed, under) a hedge, dressed as a blackberry?

I feel a bit disturbed by the whole thing...

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well if it tastes so good then the thing I put in my mouth today that left me spitting for hours was NOT jack by the hedge! it left such an acrid taste I can still taste it when i lick my lips.
good job i didnt swallow lol!

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
it left such an acrid taste I can still taste it when i lick my lips.

Told you so! :lmao:

It can be good, but I've also found it highly variable.

Try nibbling leaves from more than one plant before you pick to eat (waaay back from any doggie targeted areas), occasionally you'll find one that's better than the others. I try to stick to obviously young leaves and plan to use them quickly as I never find that they keep well. There is some talk about the leaves being best before flowering commences but my experience is that's not always the case.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE