I've got a horrible cold...bushy type remedies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Horrible cold - headache, runny nose, sore throat, all the usual :yuck: . Any traditional type remedies that people can suggest?

Failing that I'm open to sympathy.... :(

Edit: SWMBO says that I really need the sympathy as she's fed up with "man flu" whatever that is.....

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Horrible cold - headache, runny nose, sore throat, all the usual :yuck: . Any traditional type remedies that people can suggest?

Failing that I'm open to sympathy.... :(

Edit: SWMBO says that I really need the sympathy as she's fed up with "man flu" whatever that is.....
Man flu is like bird flu, but it doesn't have as much press!;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
mace - serious answer - backberry brandy. Packed with Vit C, analgesia etc. You ask Mr Fenna - it works! I would send you a medicinal dose but the posties are on strike :(

Failing that

Take one heap of "mindless" DVDs
Add one bottle of Armagnac (I'm a scotch man but brandy works on colds better)
Big mug of tomato soup with plastic bread to dunk
Lemsip
Stay in bed
Have "nursy" tend to you (in uniform naturally)

No kids, no shopping, no work, no housework

Dr Red has left the building!

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Oh you read my mind! I took thursday and friday off work and have been following the prescription almost to the letter. I'm not much of a brandy drinker (scotch for me too) so I'm turning the bottle that I got given earlier in the year into... wait for it... blackberry brandy. Just got to wait though :(. Going to go and buy 300 tomorrow and watch that.

SWMBO is considering the uniform but I'm not sure she's convinced :(

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Scotch mixed with honey. Honey is packed with antioxidants and vitamins, and scotch, well, eh, it's scotch!

Honey is actually antiseptic and actibacterial, but that doesn't matter if it's a flu you've gt since it's a virus.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The kind of cold that makes you feverish, your head throb, your ears hurt, your throat burn and the snot tries to drown you every time you try to lie down ? :(
I came down with it a fortnight ago, I think I brought it home from the Black Isle. I shan't swear but it's tempting....ten days it took before I could breathe properly again :(

The hot toddy makes things feel a little better (well, not on my end it doesn't :rolleyes: :eek: ), but steaming my face helped ease the congestion, mellow the headache and actually helped my ears to clear. Don't bother with menthol, it just irritates the already swollen tissues of a cold, try something like orange oil, that helps you want to breathe deeply in the steam.
Tea made from honey and meadowsweet helped too, but drinking a liquid made from grated onions, left covered overnight with brown sugar in a jar, soothed the throat better than lemon and honey. Rosehip syrup and whiskey is very good, and hot ribena was very pleasant too.
Chewing something cheugh, helps shift gummed up tubes, pine resin comes to mind if outdoors.

You can't be that bad if you want the missus to play :D HWMBLT says I don't snore, but this cold left me sounding like, "A terribly polite chainsaw" :eek: :confused:

atb,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Scotch mixed with honey. Honey is packed with antioxidants and vitamins, and scotch, well, eh, it's scotch!

Honey is actually antiseptic and actibacterial, but that doesn't matter if it's a flu you've gt since it's a virus.

Sounds like Stags Breath is the perfect thing for a cold then. And you know what they say about prevention being better than a cure! Hic!!

:D

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Sleep, rest, thick blankets, a decent 25 yr old single malt - brandy is for wusses ;) and stacks fo Man films, namely starting with 300, followed by 300, then copious amounts of senesless violence like Conan, Fast n Furious, interspersed with Aliens, and more 300.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I'm similar to cephas on this, I have a mix of calvados (normandy apple brandy) honey and lemmon to drink, also a clove of garlic chewed raw works wonders to loosen plhegm usually withoin an hour, but it is hard to swallow.:lmao:

Brandy or visitors whisky*, lemon juice, ginger and mint in a mug topped up with hot water, a really hot bath and sleep.
Cheers Tim
* visitors whisky is the stuff you keep for folk who rave about malts but a Lagavullin, Bowmore or Talisker would be wasted on more to the point adding allt the above to any good whisky would be a crime.;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE