It's not a kuksa....it's a stoolie

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Well I had put some wood away and the sun wash shining the other day so out came the shave horse and draw knife and what I thought would be 2 hrs work turned into 5hrs.

004 (654x800).jpg

Elm crotch wood and oak legs. Finished with walnut oil, meths and a wee drop o' terabine to help drying.

I cheated slightly and used a flap disc on the grinder to take down the outside of the elm and the cut face after the chainsaw.

Still having problems with my 1" brace and bit tearing out at the good side when at an angle for the legs. Any advice?

thanks for looking.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
loverly

Not sure you'll be able to avoid some tearing if using an auger bit. I reckon people use forstner bits in a power drill for that work.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Very nice stool, I love seeing stuff like that. goodjob

Re- the tear out, did you bore right thru' or come in from the face once the lead screw came through?
A little trick for boring straight through is to clamp a piece of sacrificial wood to the face, keeps tear out to a minimum.

Rob.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
yeh sacrificial wood clamped either side would get my vote. when ive done various woodwork pieces in the past I'm amazed how much a piece of tape can reduce splintering too!

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Thanks folks. Tape and bit of wood will be used to see if tearout improves. I have a new auger bit but it needs my big drill to turn it, battery drill too wee. Brace and bit seems to induce a bit wobble and the start of the hole is not exactly round. I drilled the hole from the good side to the bad.

Robson Valley. Funny you should mention stool sample.......the kit just arrived through the post:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE