Its always difficult taking good advice...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I was hoping to go to Uni this year.

But its a degree course at a college...They do have a halls of residence, hardly suitable for me.

My Psychologist says to leave it a year...and be better prepared. He has spoken to the college and hes not happy with their support package.

I can do my A2s in the meantime.

I would `love` to do my A2s.

But I want to move on. I have been two years in college already.

However Im in no real hurry. I take my time in things and some of my projects have taken years to furfil. (That trip to North Rona, for example.)

And I do take advice. I respect him. He is a leader in his field. (Though it took me a while to find that out. He is the most unasuming type ever.) I know that if I follow it or no, it `is` good advice.

So what do you say?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
If you would love to do your A2s take the good advice from the Psych and stay in college
for a while.Sounds like that is what your inner Tengu is telling you to do.
Go with it.
Simon

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
everyone is different so definitly do what is right for you. but i would say colleges are an absoliute nightmare with enrollment etc i found it easier to just steamroll through and get education done in a oner rather than having the hassle of leaving then re-enrolling again etc. but it may just be the college and the uni i went to, utterly useless most of the time!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've got to ask; what's the difference between "college" and "university" over there?

While technically over here a University is made up of colleges (the college of history, the college of medicine, the college of engineering, etc,) but in real useage the terms "college" and "university" are interchangeable. And the whole point is to earn a degree; Associattes degree (2 year degree), progressing to Bachelor's degree (4 year degree and considered the baseline against what all others are measured), progressing to Master's degree (an additional 2 years study as a post graduate), progressing to a Doctorate (another 2 or 3 years study beyond the Master's)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hard to say, these days.

Normaly college is 16-18s doing A levels.

Unis are 18-21 doing degrees.

(But of course there are lots of mature students these days)

Many colleges these days do degree courses for a local Uni. (Mostly ghastly stuff like childcare and sports therapy.)

And then there are Foundation degrees, for non tradational mature students (ie, me.)

And heaven knows what vocational qualifications...You need qualifications for `everything` these days.

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
I was hoping to go to Uni this year...... But its a degree course at a college... They do have a halls of residence, hardly suitable for me.
I would `love` to do my A2s....... But I want to move on...... I have been two years in college already.......However Im in no real hurry.

hi tengu, you understandably sound a little confused: hoping to go to uni but would love to do a2s.......you want to move on however you are in no real hurry. you are also unclear, s it the college aspect of the degree course you dont like, the support package or the halls of residence?
all study decisions are hard. a degree, however and wherever you study will be hard work. your A's will give you confidence and more of the in depth study you will need for your degree

most courses these days are modular, could you do a single module at the same time as your A's so you move on slowly as your psych recommends but also feel you are moving in the direction you want? getting one module under your belt could make the first year of your degree a bit lighter next year

another way of thinking would be worst case scenario. whats the worst that could happen if you delay your degree by a year and whats the worst that could happen if you go for it and find you dont make it. financial, emotional, health, time, practical (ie location moves) and confidence are all areas worthy of consideration

good luck

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your quite correct; I `am` torn.

I have decided to wait until I get my results to make a final decision.

(I could, of course, do my A2s along side the degree)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I was a sixties dropout, left school early, failed at vocational college, qualified as a teacher despite having no A levels, but my big-time saviour was the Open University, which was followed by post graduate qualifications from Cambridge. It's never too late, so don't despair and go for it when you are ready. Don't let anyone, including yourself, push you too soon. But like l8starter said: it will be hard work.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've got to ask; what's the difference between "college" and "university" over there? ...

That's not very easy to answer.

Once upon a time there were two sorts of universities. Oxford and Cambridge. (1)

Then there were two sorts of universities. Oxford OR Cambridge, and all the others. (2)

Later still, were 'colleges of further education', some of which were sometimes also called 'technical colleges' or 'polytehcnics'. (3)

The universities in (1) had (and still have) 'colleges' like "New College, Oxford" (founded in 1739) and "King's College, Cambridge". They tend not to specialize in any particular discipline although they may be well known in particular areas, such as the radio-astronomy department or the choir.

The colleges in (3) were intended more for 'vocational' type training than academic training, and are nothing like the colleges in (1).

More recently, almost all the colleges in (3) started calling themselves universities. It doesn't seem to have made much difference except in Wales, where apparently they started selling degrees to anyone with enough money. That seems to have stopped now.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That's not very easy to answer.

Once upon a time there were three sorts of universities. Oxford, Cambridge and Durham. (1)

Then there were two sorts of universities. Oxford OR Cambridge, and all the others. (2)

Later still, were 'colleges of further education', some of which were sometimes also called 'technical colleges' or 'polytehcnics'. (3)

The universities in (1) had (and still have) 'colleges' like "New College, Oxford" (founded in 1739) and "King's College, Cambridge". They tend not to specialize in any particular discipline although they may be well known in particular areas, such as the radio-astronomy department or the choir.

The colleges in (3) were intended more for 'vocational' type training than academic training, and are nothing like the colleges in (1).

More recently, almost all the colleges in (3) started calling themselves universities. It doesn't seem to have made much difference except in Wales, where apparently they started selling degrees to anyone with enough money. That seems to have stopped now.
Ahem!
FTFY

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
<Wails> I wanted to go to Durham; but they said that since I was from the south I was too low brow for them...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...The universities in (1) had (and still have) 'colleges' like "New College, Oxford" (founded in 1739) and "King's College, Cambridge". They tend not to specialize in any particular discipline although they may be well known in particular areas, such as the radio-astronomy department or the choir...

Mind you when I said that universities here are made up of "colleges" (the college of literature, the college of engineering, etc.) I didn't mean that they had separate campuses. Rather that the very word college in this context is used instead of "depatment." I suspect the word goes back to a Latin or Greek root for a group of "colleagues" sharing knowledge. The "College of Literature" being a group of literary experts (Colleagues) sharing their knowledge (conferring with one and other concerng the curriculum and and teaching students)

We too have smaller colleges called either Junior Colleges (the older term) or Community Colleges (the more current term) But on a whole they don't really specialize in vocational education (although that's a very big part of their curiculum) Rather their normal function is to allow students to take the first two years of studay at a cheaper institution closer to home before transferring those credits to a full 4 year university (allowing me or whoever to save some money) in pursuit of the Bachelor's degree.

I suppose I'm trying to get a feel for exactly where the parallels are between our systems. So far that seems to be a complex undertaking in itself.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have been doing my doctorate for the past 5 years, part time, and that following a post grad certificate. I have been around so long that it seems like I have become a part of the furniture. I value my experience much more as a mature student because I am not into all the social distractions that get in the way when you are younger. I guess most of the students seeing me around think I am a lecturer not a student. I live about 20 miles from the Uni so I rarely go in more than once a week.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is 20 miles considered a long way? When I first started I drove about 18-20 each way 5 days a week for my first 2 years. Even when I finished up my last degree 13 years ago I drove over 16 miles each way every night. Well I suppose that's not entirely true; that last time; I was actually stopping for classes on the way home from work then.

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Yep 20 miles is a long way here. Most live in walking distance if they can as running a car costs a small fortune that can instead be spent on beer. Infact fuel prices here are now almost what it cost for beer when i first went to uni. Not to mention the crucifying insurance prices kids that age have to pay to drive.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Is 20 miles considered a long way? When I first started I drove about 18-20 each way 5 days a week for my first 2 years. Even when I finished up my last degree 13 years ago I drove over 16 miles each way every night. Well I suppose that's not entirely true; that last time; I was actually stopping for classes on the way home from work then.
It is with the cost of diesel what it is nowadays and if you are driving a "Chelsea Tractor"

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Used to cycle about 18 miles a day each way for work. It isn't far even on English roads. Got fit too as a bonus. But, it is far if you wanted the Uni social life and an awful long way on the homeward journey when you finish at 7 in winter!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE