It is a Gizmo, what on Earth is it ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Email it to the head office of Lee Valley Tools. Those people really get off on old tools.
Apparently, the Lee boys have even more old tools than Dad Leonard Lee had.
That's bits of what you see on catalog covers.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Looks like some sort of incomplete kit. Like there would be a couple of things in those rings, maybe things that get hammered in. The hammer appears held on with a finger tightened screw, not the usual thing for a permanent fixing to spin around. I would expect that the handle would be held down between the rings somehow, tied perhaps. Pick the whole lot up, carry, plant main spike, remove hammer and other items, use, re-attach and relocate.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
People often bodge kit for their own needs, a one off for them that others might find other solutions for. It might not be possible to find out what the need was unless you find the bodger to ask them. Not helpful but at work they're past masters at bodging. Victorian spirit I guess.

You've got me intrigued so I hope you find the answer and post it here. I don't like cliffhangers that don't get concluded!!

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
hahaha love it!

It's a scythe peening anvil and hammer set. Somebody has decided to bolt them together so they don't lose the bits when the put them down
That's correct, the loops are to stop you driving the spike down into the ground when peening. The hammer is attached so it stays together, I have seen this setup before on a scything course

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
So you remove the hammer to actually use it?
Seems extreme to tie up a specific hammer for that one task. Why would a person do that?
Is it a special hammer or a job that needs doing often, something like that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE