Issue Pocket-Knife as EDC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nick_S

Jan 2, 2007
Cornwall / Swindon
Hi all.

I'm interested on what people think of a British Armed Forces Pocket-Knife as an EDC. I'm growing away from SAKs as I think they're flimsy (I like my kit to be built like a reinforced tank), and have heard many good things about the issue pocket-knife. I think I borrowed one a couple of years back -- it was very solid but this one hadn't really been looked after.

For reference: http://www.sasskit.co.uk/products/militaryknives/britisharmypocketknife.htm

If anyone wants to recommend an alternative, go ahead. My requirements, apart from insane build quality, are that it's a UK-legal EDC and has a Marlin spike.

Thanks in advance for all your expertise,

-N

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I dont think there are any alternatives that meet you criteria. The issue knife is bomb proof,takes a decent edge and is UK legal.
It is very heavy tho'.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
You get what you see with them, they are bomb proof and hold an edge pretty well. I think the sheeps foot blade makes it look more like tool, so would cause less raised eyebrows than some other choices. I have had a couple in the past and can really recommend them, but they are like zippo lighters in that they never wear out but do disappear:( . The marlin spike is a real pry bar, I never tried to remove stones from hooves with it but I have removed rocks from tracks with it in the past!

PS Yes I do know what a marlin spike is for and have used it for its intended purpose too!

Just looked at the picture you have linked to and it isn't the knife I thought it was, my issued knife didn't have the scales, just basic Stainless with nothing to fall off!
Looks like this,http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr1760.html , but not sure if this one is a copy or genuine.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Just looked at the picture you have linked to and it isn't the knife I thought it was, my issued knife didn't have the scales, just basic Stainless with nothing to fall off!
Looks like this,http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr1760.html , but not sure if this one is a copy or genuine.

The stainless version without scales is the new version and is genuine issue.
I have had a few of each and never liked any of them, they are built like a tank but that comes with a price in the form of an uncomfortable tool to use and a blade with an edge like a spade.
I never really understood them, if they need to be that robust a tool surely a small fixed blade should be issued rather than a slip joint ?
I keep one for the spike but never use the blade or tin opener.

P

Pippin

I'm with rapidboy on this one - always keep one around but only use the spike

That's given me an idea for a project - dismantle the knife, then build a new folder using just the spike hmmmm........

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
I'm with Rapidboy... I had one from my Navy days. It sat in unused in the bottom of my briefcase for years before being "liberated" by Frankfurt Airport Security. Never felt the need to replace it.

Day to day use is now a SAK Farmer.

Miggers

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
Got to agree a bit on the heavy side, with a tendency to collect muck grease and dust also not very good as a pocket knife cause the screwdriver part wears holes in your pockets

Cheers Roy

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Opening a can of worms I know, but would a locking marlin spike be legal EDC?

Good question.... I wouldn't have thought so, mind you, chances are that the police would never realise that it locks since it's done with the lanyard holder and not with an obvious locking device.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
I edc a Vic Soldier. Another issue knife, only issued to a different army

A great knife, no marlin spike but very sturdy and very reliable. Has dealt with every task I've sent its way. Takes a good edge and I like having the awl. Its sharp enough to be a spare beater blade

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Soldier is a cracking bit of kit and probably my favourite knife, only way to improve them is get a farmer because of the saw.

I have carried them for years

Opening a can of worms I know, but would a locking marlin spike be legal EDC?

yes

i would argue that the non locking spike may be as well as its not a blade which is the only get out on the sub 3" bit if so lots of multi blades may be arguably so

however its part of a Pocket knife :confused:

Simply put it is an offence under section 139 of the Act to carry an article with a blade or sharp point in a public place. A folding pocket knife is not included, so long as the cutting edge is under three inches. In practical terms it is best to take 'cutting edge' as meaning the whole blade, sharp or not. Until the court cases of Harris (1993) and Deegan (1998), a three inch blade locking folding knife was considered legal to carry.

again another one only to be answered in a court by a judge interprating it :banghead:

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
I think some are good, some bad.

I had one of these once and gave it away. It was heavy, the backsprings were too strong and it broke my nails opening it, the can-opener was rubbish compared to a SAK, it did have a good blade though.

http://www.sasskit.co.uk/products/mi...ocketknife.htm

This is what I carry now and I think it's a very good little knife. Tough as old boots but not too heavy in this version without the marlin spike. The blade takes a very good edge and is very easy to open. The can-opener works fine and does bottles too. They sell for about £15.
I'm not saying it's better than a SAK but it is a very handy and robust EDC.

e99d1d97.jpg

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Soldier is a cracking bit of kit and probably my favourite knife, only way to improve them is get a farmer because of the saw.

I have carried them for years

picked up a Farmer from bb recently, nice little thing. Not going to get used in my normal (urban) edc as its thicker than the Soldier, which is obvious but is quite key for me as I carry it in my back pocket, but the other thing is the lanyard ring, the Soldier has no way to attaching a lanyard to it, which I like

The Farmer is a great knife, will be carried when I'm out of town because it makes a great backup to a fixed blade

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE